Author Topic: MALZARD, Abraham, St. Aubin's  (Read 10520 times)

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MALZARD, Abraham, St. Aubin's
« on: Monday 30 August 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I wonder if someone with access to St. Aubins parish records could find an Abraham Malzard.  He was in the fishing business and in Newfoundland on a grand jury in 1813.  About 1820, he went out of business and assets were turned over to Isaac Mallard Jr. who collected them on behalf of Isaac Sr..  I believe Isaac Sr. was born about 1761 (St. Aubins)  and married Jeanne VIBERT on 30 Nov 1789.  Was Abraham perhaps a brother of Isaac Sr.?  Other Jersey Malzards in Newfoundland about 1820 included Edward, Jonathan, Philip  and Francis.  Any information about sorting out this family would be appreciated.  Thanks, Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MALZARD, Abraham, St. Aubin's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

As no records are really available on-line I'm afraid this is one for a visit to the Archive Centre later this week.

A few points - you have written at one point Mallard but I presume this is a typo for Malzard(?). St Aubin isn't a Parish but is a village in the Parish of St Brelade. Finally, have a look at the web-site http://tonylesauteur.com/arbre11.htm - click on the M and scroll down and you will see that there were 3 Malzard's listed who had connections with Newfoundland, albeit earlier - Jane, Isaac and Nicolas. This isn't a complete list by any means.

I'll have a look for you in a few days.

Stewart

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
There was a typo.  I  did mean Malzard.  I checked the link you provided and it is talking about mainland Canada.  The Malzards  I refer to were specifically located in Burin, Newfoundland.  Being in the fish trade, it is possible there might have been multiple family connections among several sea ports.
Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

Having suggested that the baptisms could be in St Brelades, I find that there were no Malzards baptised from 1560 to 1790!

Consequently I looked in the neighbouring parishes and found in St Ouen, Abraham Malzard, son of Pierre, son of Pierre, and Magdalene Vibert on 7th Aug 1757.

Then on 21st Nov 1760, Isaac, son of Pierre, son of Pierre, and Magdalene Vibert.

I'm not sure (because I didn't investigate further) whether these dates fit in with your timescale.

Regards.

Stewart

PS Isaac Jr looks to have been born 5th Nov 1790 and baptised 19th Jan 1791 in St Brelades and the marriage of Isaac to Jeanne Vibert indicates that Isaac came from St Ouen.

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
Thanks for the lookup.  If I understand this correctly,  The Abraham of 1757 must have died and the Abraham of 1760 survived and could possibly be the one who made it to Newfoundland.   This could very well fit the time frame.
I wonder if you have a marriage for Abraham?   At this point it is a speculation, but I am curious if there was a Deborah Malzard born in Jersey about 1794 who was his daughter.

I also wonder if this Abraham's mother, Magdalene Vibert fits one I found in a family tree that was born 12 Mar 1721/22 to Isaac and Rachel in St. Ouen.

I do think that Abraham may have been a brother or cousin to Isaac Sr.   Any sign of Isaac's birth in St. Ouen in the 1760s?  You have an Isaac Jr.  bapt. for 1790.  I wonder if that one died and another was named about 1797.  I think he may have died at St. Helier on 3 Jan 1885 leaving an estate of 6,534 pounds.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
Leave it with me. The Archive isn't open until next Tuesday.

Stewart

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
I thought this might be helpful:
It is from the 1815 military muster roll for Channel Islands.  I do not know how complete or accurate it is but these people seem to be alive in 1815 (from jerriipedia)

Name                      Age                  Parish
Malzard, Abraham   30                    St. Brelade, but out of island
Malzard, Isaac         18                    St. Brelade, out of island
Malzard, Isaac         56                    St. Brelade, storekeeper
Malzard, Abraham    31                    St. Lawrence, at sea
Malzard, Abraham    60                    St. Ouen

I think the 2 Isaacs are Sr. and Jr. especially seeing that Sr. was a storekeeper and could conceivably have a claim to Abraham's assets from a bankruptcy.   It is possible that one of the younger Abrahams was the one in Newfoundland, but if he served on a grand jury in 1813, I would lean towards a more mature age.  Isaac Sr. may have died in 1821 since there seems to be a mention of a will at the Jersey archives.

I also found in the IGI a marriage of Pierre Malzard and Madelene Vibert on 24 Jan 1741 at St. John, Jersey. 

Eric

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

I am now totally confused!!

You say "The Abraham of 1757 must have died and the Abraham of 1760 survived". I have never mentioned an Abraham of 1760 although I have mentioned and Isaac of 1760. Could you have read this incorrectly?

What confuses me even further is there was indeed a death of an Abraham Malzard on 12th March 1759, son of Pierre.

Other things that I have looked at are there does not appear to be a baptism of a Deborah Malzard around 1794.

I can see the baptism of Magdaeine, daughter of Isaac son of Phillippe and Rachel Gasnier. As there wer no other Magdalene's around this time I would suspect that this one is yours.

I can see other children of Pierre and Magdalene:

14th Dec 1746 - Edwardo
30th Sep 1748 - Thomas
26th Aug 1750 - Phillippe
30th Sep 1753 - Elie
4th Oct 1755    - Susanne
7th Aug 1757   - Abraham
21st Nov 1760 - Isaac
18th Aug 1765 - Nicolas

I'll let you try to make something of all that!

Stewart

Offline ech126

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
You are right that I misread your message and did not realize that you were naming Isaac Sr. for 1760.  Perhaps this error will be fortuitous.

Was there any indication on the death of Abraham in 1759 that he was a child?  If so, we have effectively eliminated the Newfoundland Abraham from being either the brother or the son of Isaac.   The 3 Abrahams mentioned in 1815 would have birth years close to 1755, 1784 and 1785.  Since Isaac's brother  Abraham seems to have died in 1759 and Isaac did not marry until 1789, how could he be related?

An intriguing possibility arises, if we accept that Newfoundland Abraham was one of the younger ones.  You had a sister of Isaac being Susanne from 1755.  In the IGI, there is an unsourced marriage for a Suzanne Malzard of about 1756 marrying Henri Malzard of about 1758 in about 1781 at St. Lawrence, Jersey.  They apparently had an Abraham in 1784 (also Henri in 1782 and Jean in 1787).  The IGI does not give exact dates so it may not the best source of data.

I now feel the 1815 muster is fairly accurate with ages.  We have Isaac Sr. at 56 and his eldest brother Edward age 70.
There is also Henry age 60 of St. Lawrence and a Henry age 34 at St. Saviour.  There is no obvious Jean, but there is one age 32 for St. Ouen.

If Abraham was a nephew of Isaac Sr. (through his mother Suzanne), it could make sense.

My question now, is can we find the 1781 marriage of Suzanne and Henri?   Could this be a cousin marriage, since both were Malzards?   Any other children?

Thanks for all the effort you have done.  This is quite a puzzle.

Eric