Author Topic: Complete - Hi All and can anyone help?  (Read 8402 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All and can anyone help?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 September 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
just noticed in the 1901 census:

Bohannan

Daniel    1885    Essex Gt Waltham    Essex, Felstead

Could be coincidence, or maybe they stayed there?

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 September 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi both of you with regard the  1066 connection  this event is the most investigated thing ever,all the great and good historians have given it a going over,last time I looked all the noblemen they could agree on being with William was 23 plus there men,best if you get back slowly and then if you are lucky make a connection,the mention of the 1901 census threw me abit I take it the family stayed in Essex from the 1750's,with regard going to the Essex records nothing could be more simple
it is a new building very user friendly and right next to it is a long stay carpark you will need a readers ticket all you need is a utility bill or bank statement and they will issue one on the day it's free this will allow you to look at original records.

Best Regards

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 September 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
The 1901 bit was just that someone of the name was in the same place much later. Its an unusual name, so it might be connected...an aside really.

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 September 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

I can remember Bohannan's living in Ford End, Gt Waltham parish, back in the 1950's & 60's & in my searches for my family have found them in other parishes around that area.  Whilst trawling the ERO Seax site I haved noted a William Buchanan - buried 12 May 1699. St Mary & St Lawrence.  Would certainly agree with the advice on name variations because of local accents.  One of my ancestral lines was Homden.  I have found everything from Holmden to Omden.  Leave no stone unturned!

Good luck

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 September 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
just noticed in the 1901 census:

Bohannan

Daniel    1885    Essex Gt Waltham    Essex, Felstead

Could be coincidence, or maybe they stayed there?

Hi Pastmagic,
Thanks, I will check now as it sort of ties in with with one ancestor.
Nick

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 September 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi both of you with regard the  1066 connection  this event is the most investigated thing ever,all the great and good historians have given it a going over,last time I looked all the noblemen they could agree on being with William was 23 plus there men,best if you get back slowly and then if you are lucky make a connection,the mention of the 1901 census threw me abit I take it the family stayed in Essex from the 1750's,with regard going to the Essex records nothing could be more simple
it is a new building very user friendly and right next to it is a long stay carpark you will need a readers ticket all you need is a utility bill or bank statement and they will issue one on the day it's free this will allow you to look at original records.

Best Regards

Hi Geno,

I can imagine that it is very popular, especially with programmes like "Who do you think you are". It has been old story since I was kid that we were related but I have now decided to see if it is true. I managed to get back as far as 1730, got stuck and then managed in one weekend to go from 975 to 1600's but is was probably a waste of time as I could now be on the great, great, great ,great cousin of my ancestors and not actually the right path!! My family were in Essex from about 1750 until recently but now the Bohannans have now scattered and I only know of one family in Northamptonshire and they have no sons.

I will have to visit it and have a look, I think I have gone as far as I can with the computer and will now venture out of the armchair  :)

Thanks for all your help.

Nick

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 September 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

I can remember Bohannan's living in Ford End, Gt Waltham parish, back in the 1950's & 60's & in my searches for my family have found them in other parishes around that area.  Whilst trawling the ERO Seax site I haved noted a William Buchanan - buried 12 May 1699. St Mary & St Lawrence.  Would certainly agree with the advice on name variations because of local accents.  One of my ancestral lines was Homden.  I have found everything from Holmden to Omden.  Leave no stone unturned!

Good luck

Hi Keziah,

It is a weird thought as I have never met them and they could be distant relatives. Thanks, I will have to come over to SEAX and check out the Buchanan's as they seem to be a link that I have not tried yet. There I was, hoping that it would be easy and in five minutes I would have everything. Oh well, I will now start the stone turning  :)

Thanks  :)

Offline Pennie44

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Complete - Hi All and can anyone help?
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 December 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

Just joined rootschat and read you message regarding Daniel Bohannan and his 3rd child Nathaniel. Nathaniel was my 3rd Gt Grandfather

I have lots of information on my family tree re Bohannans and the Elgies who came from Yorkshire, I have traced back to my 11th Gt Grandparents, its all very complicated. My Dads Grandad (George)married Mary Ann Elgie

They ran the White Horse pub in Pleshey for some years.  You have answered a puzzle which I have been trying to solve giving me the information on Nathaniels parents and siblings.   If your other rootschat friend has any info on the De bohuns I would be very interested.

Hope to hear from you

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Complete - Hi All and can anyone help?
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Just thought I'd mention that there was a lad named Bohannan at Rainsford Secondary Modern School Chelmsford at the same time as myself, I left school in 1949.  I'm pretty sure he was from Gt Waltham, if not, somewhere out that way, he was one of the kids that were bused into school each day from outlying villages.  Can't for the life of me remember his first name though, still it was a long time ago.   ;D

Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk