Author Topic: Gravestone Kinsale  (Read 16519 times)

Offline edshed77

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone Kinsale
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Fascinating thread. I'm Edward Higgins grandson and have been trying to find out more about his father William after he was widowed. (The Savage side is reasonably well known).
Has anyone managed to get behind the 1911 census where he appears to be living with his sister with a married name of Savage?
Better than crosswords!

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 05 July 15 21:20 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I just came across this item regarding the Savage family in Kinsale.

William Helena's father was fined £1 for not having her vaccinated.  He was up in court at the
Kinsale Petty Sessions.

Link -

http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cork/1878/OCT.html

go down to the end of the page and to the right hand side.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 12 July 15 01:19 BST (UK) »
It might be worthwhile getting a short subscription for www.irishnewsarchive.com and doing a search for John Savage under "exact word or phrase" and for Kinsale under "all of these words". It comes up with 52 results. I'm not sure exactly how many deal with your man, but it seems the vast majority do anyway. I've seen mention of a few court cases he was involved with, his role in the Kinsale Harbour Commissioners, as a town councillor, as a bailiff of the county sherriff (was involved in several evictions), etc. I'm sure if you played around with other combinations of Savage and Kinsale you'd find more, but you'd have to pick through a lot of irrelevant stuff.

Couldn't find any references to an Isaac Savage in relation to Kinsale in the 1800s though. I wonder was the reference to Isaac Savage on the plaque erected on the Olde Bakery in 1998 an error based on the name of John Savage's son, Isaac? Maybe, maybe not.

Oldest reference I came across was 1868, a John Savage was noted as bring present at a meeting in Kinsale of electors attended by the sitting London MP for Kinsale constituency, Sir George Colthurst.  Next was 1874, which refers to "John Savage, a shopkeeper who keeps a grocery and bakery establishement in Fisher-street, Kinsale".

Other bits of interest include:
Cork Examiner, 26 August 1878, page 3:
[A report about John Savage being brought in front of the Kinsale Petty Sessions for not having his daughter vaccinated under the Vaccination Act, as he claimed it made another daughter sick]:
"Dr Dorman deposed that he was the registrar of births, deaths, and marriages, and that the child Helena Savage was born on the 17 December, 1876, but, up to the present, he is not aware that the child is vaccinated."

Cork Examiner, 24 May 1880, page :
[Refers to John Savage as "the now famous anti-vaccinator, was prosecuted for the 19th time by the Board of Guardians of the Kinsale Union"]

Cork Examiner, 21 November 1899, page 1:
Higgins - On the 19th inst., at Millstreet, Eleanor, wife of Sergeant Higgins, RIC, and daughter of John Savage, Kinsale, aged 28. Funeral from Cork GS and W Railway at 11 o'clock this day by road via Belgooly to Kinsale.

Hopefully this clears up at least a little bit of the Higgins mystery! I had a look on the newspapers, found references to a Sergeant William Higgins in Millstreet, so I would think it very likely that the widowed William Higgins living with two Savages in Cork (as pointed out by Aghadowey back in 2010 on this thread) was indeed the widowed husband of Eleanor Savage of Kinsale: www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban__part_of_/O_Connor_Ville/399681