Author Topic: Young's of Strachan and Birse  (Read 7416 times)

Offline StuYoung

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Young's of Strachan and Birse
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
I am a relative beginner at this so far I have traced my tree back to the Strachan and Birse area of Scotland, places I am unfamiliar with.
I intend to visit them in Sept/Oct this year, if anybody can help with where I might find traces of my ancesters it would be much appreciated. I am indebted to the web site Birsefolk (www.birsefolk.id.au) who provided some information.

The first recorded Young I have is –

Alexander Young (B c1725 D c 1806) married a Janet Thompson (B c1725 D  c1806) both believed to be natives of Birse

Only known child to date of Alexander Young and Janet Thompson –

▪ Charles Young (b circa 1763) who married Margaret Middleton (B circa 1764) date of marriage 15/08/1790 at Birse
(August 15 1790; Contracted Charles Young and Margaret Middleton both in this parish both in this parish and after were married September 2nd – source Birsefolk parish record extracts.) The actual birthplace of Margaret is not recorded but believed to be Birse.

Known Children

1. James Young was born in 1793 in Birse he married Ann Jolly on the 20th September 1817, daughter of David Jolly (B circa 1755) and Isabel Findlay (B circa 1756). They had the following children :-

   James Young B1818
   Charles Young b1819 d 1890 married Margaret Sim 13/11/1835 (see below)
   David Young  b1821 twin
   Robert Young b 1821 twin
(December 30 1821 - James Young subtenant Birsebeg? And his wife Ann Jolly had twins (boys) baptised the oldest named David and the youngest named Robert. David Jolly in Kinmunity and James Crawford in Glenchatt witnesses – Birsefolk)
   Ann Young b 1824
   William Young b1831

2. Charles Young was born 10 Sept 1794 at Birse he married Christian Alexander (parents as yet unknown. Died Feb 1862 – stone 20- Kirkyard of Birse (aa104)) Married on 1st July 1824 at Birse
1841 Birse census (Birstefolk)
Charles Young aged 45 a Farmer living at Birsemore
Christian Young (F) aged 50 nee Alexander married 01/07/1824 d Feb 1862
William Young aged 15 b1826
George Young aged 15 b1826
James Young aged 13 b1828
Alexander Young aged 12 b 1829

1851 census
Charles Young aged 57 farmer of 21 acre farm employing 3 lab, Birsemore farm,Birse
Christina?? Young wife b abt 1791
George Young son b abt 1825 sawmiller
James Young b abt 1829 employed on the farm

1861 census
Charles Young aged 68 address 4 Birse Moir, farmer of 30 acres
Christian (spelt Cristian) Young aged 70 4 Birse Moir

3. William Young b1797 I have been unable to trace him any further
4. Robert Young b1800 –

1841 Census
Robert Young aged 40 b abt 1801 at Birse a Woodsawer living at Birsemore
Ann Young aged 30 b abt 1811 in Aberdeenshire
David Young aged 5 b abt 1836 in Aberdeenshire
Jane Young aged 5 b abt 1836 in Abedeenshire
Robert Young aged 3 b c1838 in Aberdeenshire
1851 Census
Robert Young aged 41 living at Birsemore, a Woodsawer.
Ann Young (B c1812) at Birse aged 30 wife
Jane Young (B c1836) aged 15 Scholar
Robert Young (B c. 1839) aged 12 Scholar
George Young (B c.1844) aged 7 Scholar
Elisa Young (B c.1850) aged 1

1861 Census (Question if the same person but too many coincidences)
Robert Young aged 60 B abt 1801 at Birse living at 2 Birse Moir a labourer
Ann Young aged 52 born abt 1809 Strachan
Jane Young aged 23 b(c1838) Agricultural Labourer
Elisa Young aged 12 (b c 1849) Scholar

1871 Census (Same concerns as above)
Robert Young aged 73 b abt 1798 at Birse, labourer living at Birsebegg
Ann Young wife aged 63 b abt 1808 at Birse
Jane Young aged 35 b abt 1836 at Birse an Out Worker
Elizabeth Young 22 b abt 1849 occupation not given
David William aged 22 b about 1849 at Strachan, Farm Servant ,shown as Son in Law to whom married?
Robert William aged 1 shown as Grandson born Birse 1870

5. Elizabeth Young b 1804 tenacious links
1822 20 Oct Contracted William Dinnie of Burnside, with Elizabeth Young, Drumneachy married 7th November 1822.

Possible link as yet unfounded April 13th 1823 The Kirk Session resolved to impose a further penalty of 5/- above the normal penalty on any person found guilty of a relapse in fornication.
Also compared on the same day was William Dinnie and his wife Elizabeth Young, both guilty of ante nuptial fornication –- Birsefolk

1851 Census
Possible living at Mill of Thornton with husband William and 5 children and William Mitchell Great Grandson aged 5
!871 Census
Living with William aged 78 and son Charles aged 25

Children of James Young & Ann Jolly

   James Young B1818
   Charles Young b1819 d 1890 married Margaret Sim 13/11/1835 (see below)
   David Young  b1821 twin
   Robert Young b 1821 twin
(December 30 1821 - James Young subtenant Birsebeg? And his wife Ann Jolly had twins (boys) baptised the oldest named David and the youngest named Robert. David Jolly in Kinmunity and James Crawford in Glenchatt witnesses – Birsefolk)
   Ann Young b 1824
William Young b1831

I know that George Young of Birsemore was part of the Committee
of the founding of the Aboyne Games in 1867 and that a James Young 3 first prizes a 2nd and third prize in the games but for which events I do not know.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: Young's of Strachan and Birse
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Stu,

Welcome to Rootschat. You seem to have done well as you have lots of information there, and hopefully someone with a similar Young lineage will read it and get in touch. However can I suggest if you want specific information that you condense what you know and any query you have from that information.

You may already have access to it but lizanne has kindly offered MI look-ups for Birse http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,463720.0.html

good luck.
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 11 18:39 GMT (UK) »
"Only known child to date of Alexander Young and Janet Thompson.
Charles Young (b circa 1763) who married Margaret Middleton (B circa 1764) date of marriage 15/08/1790 at Birse"

Scotland's People is showing the following for an open search under the given christian and surname with listed parents as per original post:-

12/07/1763 James Young (parents Alexander Young & Jannet Thompson) Glenmuick, Tullich & Glengairn, Aberdeen

This is the only birth I can find from the listed parents.

11/08/1775 Charles Young  (Parents John Young & Agnes Downie) Aberdeen

17/04/1758 Margaret Middleton daughter of Robert Middleton & Jane Clark, Coull Aberdeen
28/01/1759 Margaret Middleton daughter of James Middleton, Coull Aberdeen
28/09/1760 Margaret Middelton daughter of James Middleton, Tarves, Aberdeen
6/10/1767 Margaret Middleton daughter of William Midleton, Methlick, Aberdeen
2/08/1773 Margaret Middleton daighter of Andrew Middleton & Isabel Robertson, Old Machar

Regards

Malky   

Offline StuYoung

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flattybasher9
Thanks for your info I will follow it up. I was at the ANEFHS last year and I obtained some further info but time was too short. Not only do I have the Young side of the family but my mothers side were Munros from Banff.
Stu

Offline Emslie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 11 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stu

I have a copy of the lists of inhabitants for Birse compiled by the Rev Joseph Smith - is there anything you would like me to check for you

Sharon
Birsefolk.id.au

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone's still watching this thread....

This is also my family line.  I'm descended from David Young, son of James Young and Ann Jolly (yes, one of the twins).  David married Jean Middleton (daughter of George Middleton and Isabel (or Isabella) Gauld). 

They had 7 children (George, David, William, Ann, Jane (or Jean), Elizabeth and Margaret).  Their son David had an illegitimate daughter with his cousin, Helen Middleton (daughter of William Middleton - who is also the son of George Middleton and Isabel Gauld - and Helen Mollison), called Isabella Young Middleton in 1865.  He went on to marry twice - firstly to Isabella Duncan on 25 Dec 1879 at Lumphannan and secondly to Jane Gibb Adam(s) on 13 Dec 1882 at Kincardine O'Neil (of course these two marriages may be wrong, but they tie in with census entries). 

Isabella Young Middleton went on to marry John L Gordon (also illegitimate) in 1889 at Panbride (she was working as a Domestic Servant at Weatheston Farm, Farnell, Angus in 1881).  Their eldest child, Walter is a bit of a problem - I've not been able to find a birth entry for him and I'm not even sure that John is his father.  As well as Walter, their children are Jessie, Charles, James, John, David and Cecil. 

I'm descended from their son, James Gordon born in 1891 (he was named for his stepfather, James Watt, who Helen married in 1876).  James Watt Gordon married Agnes Kerr in 1915 at Arbroath.  My father is their youngest son, born in 1929.  I have attached a basic relationship chart showing my great-grandfather's relationship to James Young and Ann Jolly.

I'm interested in tracking the families of David's siblings and cousins, so if anyone out there is related to them, I'd love to hear from them.

I recently did my DNA test with Ancestry (and uploaded it to GedMatch), so if you look for me under Gnlgymd at Ancestry, you should be able to find me in your matches, that is of course assuming that I've got the information right in my tree to start with  ;D

Incidentally, the OP stated he wasn't sure about the parents of James Young's mother.  I've concluded that her parents were Alexander Middleton and Jean Duncan.  She was born c. November 1786 at Banchory-Ternan, Kincardineshire and was baptised on 1st Dec. 

Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Stu

I have a copy of the lists of inhabitants for Birse compiled by the Rev Joseph Smith - is there anything you would like me to check for you

Sharon
Birsefolk.id.au
     Hello There. Are there any people on this list of inhabitants with the surname of Sector or similar variants please? Thank you. :)