Poll

How did you find Rootchat?

Directed to a topic via a search engine?
402 (50.8%)
Fellow researcher?
194 (24.5%)
Mailing list or message board?
82 (10.4%)
Magazine or poster?
16 (2%)
Other
97 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 786

Author Topic: How did you find Rootschat?  (Read 182103 times)

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find Rootschat?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 29 May 05 12:01 BST (UK) »
Ive been such a wimp with Internet sites in the past, but after looking at this site I felt free to ask questions and make mistakes knowing I wouldnt be made to feel foolish. So thank you Rootschat.

Sheldon.
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 13 June 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
I "met" up with a second cousin via Genesconnected, the only contact I've ever had through them in the almost three years I've been on there.

After we had been e mailing a little while he told me about this site.

I have had so much help on here over the past year or so with my Bedfordshire line I can't believe it.

It's a wonderful site. :) :) :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 20:53 BST (UK) »
I put a request for help on Channel 4 Teletext for my elusive grandmother Elizabeth Violet Everett.

One kind gentleman who answered my request did several lookups for me and after a few emails told me to have a look on the Rootschat site.
I had a look around for a couple of weeks,liked what I saw, then put my request into Beginners.

I often wonder who he is, as I only knew his Christian name, and if he recognises himself from the information I've given then..........a big thank you!

I still haven't found my grandmothers birth but have solved quite a few other problems to do with other branches of the families trees.

I have also learned that I'm not the only person who gets a buzz from finding out information for myself and others.............so much so that I have kicked the smoking habit after 50 years!!!

There's  not enough time to smoke and RootsChat!!! and the latter gives me a bigger buzz!!

Sue
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 03:15 BST (UK) »
Gee whiz, Sue,

I haven't heard of genealogy as a cure for nicotine addiction before!!!  Maybe you should publicise this more widely, patent it or something! ;D

I have a couple of those elusive ones, too.  Good luck with yours!

Marie
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 22:03 BST (UK) »
I found it why searching family history on yahoo. what a great site  jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 24 June 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Pure & Wonderful LUCK!!! :D  I had Googled my husband's family name search, and saw this site....It was new to me, so I happily added it to my list of Gen. search bookmarks, came onto it.....and Presto!!!!
Here were people who came to my rescue immediately!  ;) You know who you are you wonderful people!!!  ;)  (and for free, for goodness sakes...I had just paid a handsome sum for 4 censuses... and am still waiting after 3 weeks for a document to cross the pond... ::)   I know it would have been faster had they put the message in a bottle!!!!! ;D    Many HUGE hugs all around....for being here!!!!!!!!   J.J.

P.S. be careful in the chatroom, Newbies....they'll tease you in there!!!! The Rotters!!!
Might just drop in for a tease right now! Ha, ha....( and Wee might bring you Teas)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 09 July 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
As with so many others it was a GOOGLE accident - but what an accident!  This is without doubt the best site ever...and I can't believe how good you all are...

I have already told everyone I know (who will listen - so maybe not that many) all about it!

Julie :D
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 22 July 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
Someone plugged it on a popular genealogy message board. I'm glad they did! :)
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 22 July 05 06:34 BST (UK) »
Paul sent us a message on Genes Reunited about one of my wife's ancestors in relation to June 2005 RootsChat challenge. 

I followed the link (and forgot to reply to his question - sorry Paul).  I gave it a go, and came back at the weekend for another go.

Heather B turned round a bunch of my Nottinghamshire enquiries within a few hours, and I got the bug.  I also nabbed some web space and converted my family history book to a web site.

Many hands make light work.  Resources and talents are shared.  And the whole tone of the site is constructive and friendly.

All this in about six weeks!

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble