Author Topic: Douglas  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 02:10 BST (UK) »
 This History of Lambton County Ontario Canada 1903 .. going to the page with Douglas family history .. can be read here  http://www.archive.org/stream/recordlambton00beeruoft#page/284/mode/2up/search/Douglas ..

William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Always good to read original material  :)

I am not sure what your thoughts are on the info I have posted. I can see a few other bits, but not sure whether you think the details posted are a possibility.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
As to why they were in Tongue ... if the family were shepherds they may have been brought in to tend the huge flocks of sheep which were now grazing where people had once lived - Sutherland was the scene of the worst of the Highland Clearances

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
 Thankyou everyone for  looking for me .. sure giving me something to think about!
When oldest son Thomas died .. The Strathroy Dispatch (Ontario, Canada) stated ..... "We learn that deceased was born in Sutherlandshire Scotland in 1825 and emigrated with his father to Canada in 1838, first settling in Kingston, where he commenced the butchering business....."
 And when brother Anthony died ..... Petrolia Advertiser (Ontario Canada) .... " died at the great age of 93, having been born in Scotland on Apr 29 1829. When a lad of 13, deceased came to Canada, locating first at Kingston, then London, Adelaide (township, Middlesex County Ont) Brooke (township Lambton County) and then Enniskillen (township.) in the order named ...."
 Here in Ontario .. one lady did do some Douglas research .. and in a small booklet .. she says ... " From family tradition we understand that they (Douglas family) lived along the rugged western coast of Scotland in the area of Argyllshire. From Scottish parish records their marrage is listed at Tongue and Anthony, Oliver and 2 Janes are recorded in the birth records of Farr.... I assume the 1st Jane must have died
  1851 Fredericksburg Lennox County Ontario Canada
                 DOUGLAS  William  54   born: Scotland  Farmer Presbyterian
                                     Ellen   48            England
                                    Thomas 26           Scotland
                                      Anthon  22             "
                                      Jane   20                "
                                     Oliver  17                "
                                       James  14             "
                                      Samuel   4                                        

William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Not sure about the "From family tradition we understand that they (douglas's) lived along the rugged western coast of Scotland in the area of Argyllshire" but everything else is backed up by entries to be found on the Old Parish Registers for William and Helen's life post their marriage whilst still in Scotland.

This is a great map for counties in Scotland www.scotlandsfamily.com/county-map.htm and for parishes within counties www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-maps.htm

If I can give you some advice from experience in research in this time period pre 1841 and the first census. You are fortunate that the marriage and children's births show on the OPRs. If you haven't viewed the images of the births/christenings on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, you might want to consider this. For christenings, sponsors names can often help to tie in family members. You are looking really for all possible clues from any source. Don't know what the style of the marriage register for Tongue was at the time of William and Helen's marriage, but also worth checking to see what it actually says (image for this should also be available on SP).

Bear in mind when searching for records for Helen that the name has numerous variants at that time. Thinking of that 1803 birth and christening for an Eleanor Paterson, daughter of Anthony and Jane, this site gives you an idea on variants www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=eleanor

Googling around, can't see very much around for Thomas Douglas and Oliver Young. There is though some info for Anthony Paterson (note that in Scotland, the common spelling of Paterson is with a single T) and wife Jane. I believe, from what I have seen, her maiden names was GRECIAN/GRECHIAN). I don't know whether you have a subs. to Ancestry, but there are numerous family trees for this line, confirming very much what we have seen so far and the family's move from Northumberland to Scotland. Various trees have possible siblings to Nelly, with marriages in Tongue and various other places in the area. Also, a number of the brothers seem to have headed off to Australia and NZ.

I also found this old post here on RC  regarding possible entries for the family of Anthony Paterson and Jane Grecian www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6bau0k50o6k46lr9vnrngoqku5&topic=45412.300  Very long post! This link starts from post 300, which is the relevant one including the ones that follow.

I also found this comment interesting, re-inforcing Falkryn's earlier comment, from post 304 on the page:

You probably already know this but just in case you don't, the reason that so many families "emigrated" from the Scottish Borders and the County of Northumberland to the County of Sutherland was because the men were shepherds. They were in demand because of their experience with the "big" sheep, which were introduced as one of the Sutherlands'  "improvements".

Monica  :)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
 Monica .. your giving me a lot here :)
Both William and wife Helen .. I believe .. died in or near London Ontario .. William in 1859 and Helen in 1862. But no one in the family knows where they were buried .. and I have not found a death notice for either (although London Ontario had a paper .. in that time period .. and it is on Micro-film) which could give me more info.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Would certainly be worth looking for an obituary there. I would guess, from the little I have seen on death certs for this period of William and Helen's deaths, that they are unlikely to include parents' details (worth checking out as to what you can expect to find if you do happen to find their death entries).

Monica

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 September 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
 I emailed the history room at our local London Ontario library .. but I had no luck ...... "their Email, back to me....
            " Hello, We have an index to names in the London Free Press newspaper, in bookform, from January 1, 1849 to July 1 1861, followed by a card index fromJuly 2, 1861 to May 28, 1880. I checked both these indexes but didn'tfind an entry for a death for either William or Helen. I checked our other index cards, just on the off chance that I mightfind something, but no luck there. I also checked the Ontario CemeteryFinding Aid on-line (which you may have already done yourself) butdidn't find them listed in this. If you can manage somehow to narrow down the date of death (month andday as well as the year), it still may be worth checking the newspaperaround the time of death in case one or the other may have been missedwhen the indexing was done. Your local library would be able to borrowthe microfilm of the London Free Press newspaper through interlibraryloan. This would save you coming to London to search.  Good luck with your search.  London Room staff  Info                                      London Public  -   Libraryinfo[at]lpl.london.on.ca "

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
That's a pity Ken.

Hopefully, you still have a window of opportunity with possible obituaries. What is the source of the death dates you have? I see on their children's marriage certs that no note is made as to parents being alive or deceased.

Monica