Author Topic: Stallards in Somerset  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Frances Stickley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stallards in Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry. I'm a little lost on the Henry thing - is he one of yours or one of mine?

Now the name thing is very interesting. I spent two years trying to figure of the identity of my g.g.g grandad. He was born George Alfred Stallard in 1867 to what I think was a brother and sister. He changed his name to Alfred James Hadley when his stepfather died in 1880 (his stepfather was James Hadley) - so he abandoned his first name (that of his original father) and took on his stepdad's as his middle name and his new last name. Does this sound like something the superstition would explain? Alfred himself was married to a Rosina Grey - she was simultaneously married to someone else. He originally moved to Warwickshire to be a farm hand in the summer which again, seems to ring true.

Thank you so much for your help by the way. This is fascinating.

Offline Frances Stickley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 July 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Oh I also have a Mercy Cheek as a witness off a certificate. Thought that was quite a special name.

Offline Kedi01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Ha! Sorry, I'm trying to be too efficient and posted it on the wrong message!
I've had a look in Robert Dawsons book A Romany in the Family and it doesn't list Stallard or Attwoods as Romany. Taylor, Webb, lee and Gray definitely are Rom names.
I do t have fairground family, but I know there are lists of them somewhere.
Do you have any more info on your Taylor's?
Kedi

Offline Frances Stickley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Not yet but I'm on a mission now! Need to get more grey info too. Head of family there was Asher Grey - another nice one there.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 July 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Again Fran.  You may already know This.but  just to muddy the water further. But when a Gorgio man Weds a Romany girl he would often take her surname. Still happening. It made it easier. For any children to assimilate. And gave the man some standing in the community. Also name changes were. Still are common. For many reasons. one of My own ancestors were baptized Dale. In 2 censuses as dale. with is sister. In 1852.  He weds as Mitchell. Been Family name ever since? Maybe something similar in your family. Also most gypsy don't have tattoos. One they enable identification. And for some reason it's a bit of a taboo.   Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .