Author Topic: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL  (Read 10285 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 September 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Following through just to check the next 2 Census

1920 Census San Francisco Assembly District 27, San Francisco, California

Letitia Goffigan 58
Mable G Goffigan 25 Mother Missouri Father Ireland
Milton J Goffigan 6 Born 1914 Grandson. Father california Mothher Germany

1930 Census San Francisco, San Francisco, California

Milton J Gaffigan 39 Widowed. Born California. Father Scotland. Mother Missouri
Letitia Gaffigan 70 Born Missouri
Mabel G Gaffigan 36 Father Born Scotland. Mother Missouri
Milton J Gaffigan 16 Grandson Born California

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 September 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
What is the A site?  I think I should go to that "family tree" and let them know that while they have a Patrick and a Mary there is little that can be said of that line.  The Amos is correct, and both John and John Junior have that as a middle name.  And, further, Annie Amos was the older sister that Mary went to when Patrick evidently passed away.  There are a few entries somewhere on these pages I think that do show Patrick and Mary in Refrenshaw (whatever that spelling is, and I will look it up later).  I recall a number of years back when I attempted to find out his occupation.

My grandmother and aunt had passed on the story that Patrick was a Royal Horse Trader.  Everyone believed it, and John had it in his Journal.  It was surprising to us when we located him in Paisley and found that he was working with horses, but not as a trader.  He was a teamster (but they did not call it then).  And Mary was a seamstress.  There were other problems with that Journal, but you can tell it was rather disappointing to the daughter or grand daughter in law to have that story dashed.  One of the reasons, I believe, that she cut off the correspondence on John Amos Gaffigan.  But, she did know that he was a little batty in the belfry.  And, he was my great grandfather and I wonder if there isn't some of that passed on.

Let us face it, we really don't know who the author of those stories was.  It could have been his Mother Mary for all that we know.

I have attempted to connect the three sisters and there actually is very little that can be said of them.  They, the Amos line, is not a very popular line.  And, they were Roman Catholic and registration for marriages and deaths did not occur until the 1860s for those people.  That is why I keep posting every couple of years with the little updates that I have gotten.

You got the Thomas son right.  He did hook up with a Letitia.  I note that Thomas was a sawyer and that may be the reason why some of their line went up to Eureka, California. And it shows he was a Thomas A for Amos.

John Amos Gaffigan was a pressman that also dabbled with painting.  He was a union leader, or at least was a charter member of the union.  They went on to live in the Eureka Valley (above the Castro) and the girls evidently attended school at Notre Dame, a school attached to Mission Delores.  Somebody else came up with Agnes's Mission Delores's confirmation.

Now to feed Beamer in that we have done our walking this morning.

Thanks Sandra, Jim  8)
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 September 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Sandra, yes on the face of it the 1900 census data is very confusing.  But, it can possibly be explained in that not everything was listed by the person reporting the things to the census collector.  If Reverand Conlon, the other rev or Conlon's wife, did the reporting he/she just estimated the things for the Gaffigans to make sure that they were counted.

Letitia was evidently the wife of Thomas Amos Gaffigan, and she would be a Riley from Saint Louis Missouri, born of parents who were Irish.  She was evidently widowed sometime after the 1890 census and possibly went to live with that reverand and his wife, with another reverand also there. It could be that the death had occurred very soon before the census was taken and that was why Letitia was living there, but that is pure speculation.

We have young Milton, and his son Milton - but there is no wife that was from Germany.

Oh well, never was that interested in my cousins from that apple tree, or could it have been a lemon tree?

I am just trying to make heads out of the tails that we have.

Regards, Jim   ::)
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 September 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say, I lost the plot a long time ago.  ::)

But, adding a bit of history...

Jim, in case you haven't found exactly where Dr. Lambert was living...

It appears to me that the 1880 census shows Monroe Street as his address.  As you start at the top of the census page and work your way down, the streets run
Court Street
High Street
Monroe Street (now Encinal Avenue)
Fountain Street
Jackson Street
On a goo..le map, with the exception of Court - High, Monroe/Encinal, Fountain and Jackson covers a full block.  So, he most likely was living on Monroe, between High and Fountain.

If you are interested in finding out more about Dr. Lambert and/or the hostelry, I could ask a few people.  I cannot guarantee any results and it may take a couple of weeks.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 September 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Think I have been through every combination I can think of to find any immigration records for Isabella and Annie under the various names but as you see "diddle squat"  after 5 hours.

I was still hoping to turn something up on Mary Amos/Gaffigan if that was her listed in the 1879 - 1881 Directory  ???

Judging by all the postings I have seen on google and various sites - Jim has been trying for years and never cracked the "proverbial brick-wall"

Regards
Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 September 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

The WW1 Draft for Milton Joseph Gaffigan (under Goffigan) born 9th Jan 1889. Previous Military experience was - Private in Infantry for 3 years.
Occupation was a Conductor for United Railroad. San Francisco. Married and had a child dependant on him but does not mention his wife's name. Infact it was written  as wife and crossed through. But on the California Birth Index for the son Milton J Gaffigan it gave her maiden name.

The Grandson of Thomas Gaffigan - Milton J Gaffigan 19 May 1913 San Francisco
Mother's Maiden Name: Muigraw

Milton Joseph Gaffigan
Birth Date: 9 Jan 1889  California
Death Date: 15 Feb 1952  San Francisco
Mother's Maiden Name: Riley
Father's Surname: Gaffigan

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
hello jim and sandra and lisa and all on this amos/gaffigan thread,

letitia gaffigan nee riley was theresa josephine riley's younger sisiter ( theresa being the eldest of the riley children) and may, kate, john, joseph, gertrude and thomas were also her siblings. thomas died at the age of 18 on 1 july 1893. sf call has an article about that.
theresa "tessie" married john anton ehrmann in 1889. they moved to deming new mexico.
kate was a teacher at haight primary, married to senator john j cassidy.
may married mr devers in sf.
gertrude married edward r brady.

elizabeth riley was their mom, thomas riley, a brick layer, was their dad. elizabeth and thomas were from county cavan. he is registered in the great  sf registry as a voer in 1866.
1880 sf census has elisa as a widow. he was in the sf directory in 1868, so he must've passed on in those years before the census. sf directories list elisa as widow of thomas, living at 905 ellis st, sf.

theresa's daughter, gertrude elizabeth, born in san francisco 3 may 1888, from a marriage prior to mr ehrmann, and i am looking to find who he was, her first husband and the father of gertrude elizabeth.

gertrude elizabeth married a mr taylor in  kansas city, mo. date unknown.
she had a daughter, gertrude marie purcell 2 oct 1917.

cheers,
tracey

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
hi jim et al,

i was so excited to find these posts, that when i replied it was 2.30 am, and i gushed so much that in the quick edit, i moved around the great-great grandmother part:
theresa josephine riley was my gr-gr grandmother. gertrude elizabeth was her daughter, my grgrandmother, and gertrude marie purcell, my grandmother.

gertrude marie purcell's name on her birth certificate is : gertrude inez purcell
mother: gertrude ehrmann
father: fuller arthur purcell
born in kansas city mo

gertrude ehrmann uses her mom's second husband's name. john anton ehrmann.
it says on the birth certificate that this is the only child that gertrude has had, and that the parties are married.
but i can find no marriage record of gertrude ehrmann and fuller arthur purcell.
she was mrs gertude  taylor in 1940 census. her daughter, gertrude, and her son ,gregory, my dad, are living in kansas city. i can find no record of gertrude ehrmann marrying a mr taylor.
her daughter, gertrude, is listed as gertrude m shamrell.
i did find a record for that short-lived marriage in platte co mo, to patrick m shamrell 0n 8 november, 1939. he is listed in the kansas city directory as living with mrs gertrude taylor, and her daughter, gertude.
he is in the 1940 census as an intern at st luke's nurse's hospital in kansas city.
he later can be found with another wife, kathryn, in santa clara county, california in 1942, i believe.
there was some court case about his selling narcotics, and aboandoning his wife and children in santa clara in 1942 or 3. but then he vanishes. truly.
this was her second marriage -- ? the first being to a mr hughes. i can find no record of the divorces from either men.

now, the rileys from missouri.
should i post another for this?
my great grandmother moved to missouri. she was born in sf, moved to deming with her family?
i have wondered why on earth she moved to kansas city. some notes from another family genealogist on the ehrmann side, say that gertrude moved to the east (from sf) to find out who her father was,
yet she went to her grave w/o knowing. her mother, theresa "tessie", held on to that secret tightly.
i look at the ages of her younger sisters and wonder if tessie, being the eldest, took on the child of one of theses young women? this does happen so often.

there are so many twists and turns in this saga.....
i have been searching for years!

such secrets and mysteries. we are all connected here somehow. there are some missing pieces.....

cheers much,
tracey

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey,

A Warm Welcome to Rootschat

Unfortunately jj.carroll or Jim has not been online since last August, I have sent him a pm to let him know you are trying to get in touch and really hope he does respond.  Perhaps he has his notifications turned off at the moment, my fingers are crossed he will soon sign on again.

All the best
Sandra  ;)