Author Topic: St Bernadettes Industrial School, Dundrum, Tipperary  (Read 20369 times)

Offline Borgia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Bernadettes Industrial School, Dundrum, Tipperary
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 May 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Globet,
I'm very interested in this Industrial School in Dundrum as some of my relations were also put in there due to family circumstances.  Do you have any more info on school?  or who to contact to find out any info there may be in registers etc?  Life must have been very difficult and lonely for the children.
Thanks  :)

I was in dundrum from i1945 till 1960let me know if I can help.

Offline Borgia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 May 15 00:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm just doing some research for a lady that was there in the 50's. I'll give them a call & see what I can find out.

I was in the convent from 1945 -1960, let me know if I can help.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 June 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Borgia,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Sadly Kayto11 posted just the once on RootsChat and never returned, I am sorry to say that her email are no longer working so have been unable to pass on your message.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borgia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 June 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Borgia,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Sadly Kayto11 posted just the once on RootsChat and never returned, I am sorry to say that her email are no longer working so have been unable to pass on your message.

Regards

Sarah

Sarah, thank you for the reply. If there's anyone else out there that needs any info I'm always here to help, well, as long as I'm alive and kicking.

Borgia.

Offline docie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Borgia,my mum was sent to St Bernard's and has never really talked about it .Her name is * , did you know her ? Thanks.

Edit , living person.

Offline don-sara

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
My mum was in st. Bernards orphanage until 1973 and would like information about her case. Does anybody know how she might be able to find this out? Her name is * and her brother * was also there with her 😌

(*) Edit , living persons.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline BAZZA123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 July 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am trying to find out some information about my mother Mary Kelly, born in 1931 and was possible brought up in the orphanage in Dundrum. I know she was confirmed in Knockavilla in May 1946, sponsored by Mrs J Gleeson. Sadly my mother died in 1968 when I was only 8 yrs old and we have only just found some certificates following my father's recent death. Any possible leads will be gratefully received.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 July 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Bazza,
Unfortunately most of the people on this thread don't appear to have logged on here for quite some time.

You say Mary might have been in Dundrum, does that mean you are sure she was in care but are not sure where?
This link explains who holds care records
http://www.historyireland.com/volume-22/sources-children-institutional-care-ireland-1840s-1990s/
There is a phone number at the bottom of the link for AIRR, they should be able to tell you who to contact.
You can read about the AIRR project here
http://www.eneclann.ie/archives-records-management/case-studies/dept-health-children/

Do you have your parents marriage cert, it should have Mary's father's name, if she was in care due to the death of both parents their death Certs should be here https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Or was she in care because her mother was unmarried in that case was she adopted?

Offline BAZZA123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 July 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your quick response. There is no father listed on my mother's birth certificate. But on her marriage certificate a John Kelly is listed as her father. We think a father was listed to save embarrassment as no one knows about a John Kelly. As I might of mentioned, my mother died in 1968 when I was 8 and my father remarried 3 yrs later. Family legend is that Mum grew up in an orphanage and Dundrum was suggested earlier today as she was confirmed in Knockavilla in 1946. It was only after my father's recent death that certain documents & certificates came to light. She was baptised in Thurles within 2 weeks of her birth in May 1931. We have no record of what happened to her mother, also Mary Kelly. I will certainly continue with the line of enquiry you have suggested, many, many thanks.