Author Topic: Looking for O'GRADY/MOGGAN/HYNES  (Read 27342 times)

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for O'GRADY/MOGGAN/HYNES
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 August 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
 :)my ggg parents are timothy and mary hynes nee mctigue, came to NZ on the storm could 1860, Timothy is bedelia's brother,  as both have parents john and catherine hynes nee hession,many spellings variations for her maiden name hashem/heshan

love to share with you guys, i am in nz
karen

Offline historyhead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 August 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am the GG Grand Daughter of Patrick & Mary (Glassad/Glassett) O'Grady. Regarding Mary (McTigue) Hynes: she was Godmother to Malachi & Bedelia's (Bridget) daughter Mary (or Catherine as she was known) on 30th July, 1864!
O'Grady, Hynes, Glassad, Glassett, Bush, Nathan, Clark, Tinker, Zeppel, Voigt, Klitscher, Graetz, Reschke, Lehmann, Holtsch, Hutchings, Petersen, Blundell, Hookway, Court, Gregory, Nicholson, Arthurson

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 August 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
that is really cool, i have a Mal grady and Honor hynes god parents to Timothy and Mary hynes son James hynes 1875

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
and james mclean and bridget grady godparents to mary josephine hynes 1872

Offline bydahl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 August 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Wow !!
It is great to heear from new people we all have so much to learn about our families, how they lived,who they considered to be trustedenough to be Godparents, etc.
I think a Hynes/O'grady get together looks in the future!!!
Regards Chris

Offline historyhead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 August 11 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Regarding Godparents for Malachy & Bedelia's children:

Patrick - not known by me at this stage as born in Ireland

Mary (Catherine) - 30/7/1864 at parents home Tokomairira by Rev. E. Royer G/P - Martin Levener and Mary Hines (Hynes). Previously I wrote Mary McTigue but need to check again.

John - 29/12/1865 by Rev. I. Williams G/P -Patrick Burke and Margaret Lardner

Thomas - ? by Rev. J. Ecuyer at Fairfax G/P Patricius McTigue and Maria Roche

Malachy Marvin - 20/11/1870 by Rev. J. Ecuyer G/P Patricius Hession and Sara Hession.

Bridget - 17/1/1875 by Rev. T. Lenehan G/P Tim Hynes and Kate Leaven

Sabina - 11/4/1877 by Rev. T. Lenehan G/P Edmond Athy and A. Hanify

Timothy - 15/2/1879 by Rev. T. Lenehan G/P Phil Hynes and Margaret Kane

Regarding where they lived:

In July 1869 allotments of land went up for sale in the Milton Municipal Reserve (later to be named Fairfax) and Timothy Hynes bought No 1.Malachi O'Grady was the purchaser of No 7 allotment 19a 2r - 8s per acre ,  also his neighbours consisted of  Michael Hynes No. 4. Philip Hynes No. 5. and Patrick McTigue in No 9. 

Enjoy!
Historyhead
O'Grady, Hynes, Glassad, Glassett, Bush, Nathan, Clark, Tinker, Zeppel, Voigt, Klitscher, Graetz, Reschke, Lehmann, Holtsch, Hutchings, Petersen, Blundell, Hookway, Court, Gregory, Nicholson, Arthurson

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 August 11 03:21 BST (UK) »
Oh my gosh thankyou so much for this, i am trying to figure if Patrick mctigue is mary hynes nee mctigue brother, am pretty sure he is, but to see the Hession names too, alot of the family must have come to nz
There are some awesome stories in papers past, Tim and philip in there and the o'grady's and mctigues. i think there is a michael hynes too brother of tim,bedelia,philip
karen

Offline historyhead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 August 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

RE: John & Cathleen/Kathleen (nee Hession) Hynes children
NOTE: My main files are in storage at the moment, so use this as a guide.

1. Timothy Hynes
b: c 1831 Galway, Ireland  m: c 1858, Ireland  d: Friday 10th August, 1888, Milton, 57 yrs  "Mr Timothy Hynes an old settler on the Plain, who for a long time occupied one of the farms in the Municipal Reserve in Fairfax, died on Friday morning after a week's illness of bronchitis and was buried yesterday afternoon at Fairfax Cemetery" 14th August, 1888 - Bruce Herald. I have no info on Mary McTigue. They had 7 children?

2. John Hynes
b: 1838, Ireland  m: ? Margaret Doyle, Ireland d: possibly 1919 at 80 yrs 2 children is all I have, most likely more.

3. Philip Hynes
b: c 1839, Ireland  m: ? Cecilia Duggan  d: 1919 in Milton, NZ 80yrs 6 children

4. Bedelia (Bridget) Hynes
b: c 1839, Ireland  m: 1861 Malachi O'Grady  d: 1 May, 1922, Christchurch, NZ 8 children

5. Michael Hynes
b: c 1845, Ireland  m: Honor (Honora) Mahone 5th June, 1866, Dunedin, NZ 6 children

Timothy and Michael were listed as goldminers in Tuapeka, Otago in Oct, 1861. The other brothers may have worked in the same field at some stage.

Enjoy!

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 August 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Awesome thankyou for this, i now have 3 ggg and g grandfathers who were goldminers, one went to Alaska goldfields and grew up in Milton otago too, he might have even known the hynes family, both would connect in my family along the generations.

another is on my husbands side he went to the same place as another of my great grandfather, in Thames nz isn't it amazing.

both mum and dads families practically were side by side as well as my husbands and dads side again, it's very eerie
karen