Author Topic: CRABB of Ashill  (Read 4261 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CRABB of Ashill
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Maxine

Can you please give the reference for Jas Gill as he's not appearing in the FindMyPast index for 1871, so there is a possible mistranscription.

dee-jay

Update:  Since found.  FindMyPast only gives county of origin Devon and no town, with a birth year of 1806, but abbreviated name transcribed 'Jas' could be Jno when compared to other abbreviations on that and preceding pages.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nikki Stern

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 October 15 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! I think I might have something for you! I came across Lydia and Thomas in tracing back my Ickeringill direct line. I have them as parents of David, aka Ickringill or Ickeringill, Gill (and numerous other variations in the transcriptions), born Halifax, Yorkshire, 20 Feb. 1803. There are two near-identical listings of David Gill's birth, one in the England and Wales Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers (1567-1970) and the other in the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, both listing parents Thos Gill and Lydia Gill. What ties this together is the birth of George Ickeringill, 13 Dec 1805 in Bradford, Yorkshire which gives parents as Thomas and Lydia Ickeringill - meaning that this is presumably my David's younger brother. (There are also some other likely siblings which you will find if you do a parent search on the IGI searching on surname ick* and first names Tho* and Lydia: Thomas Gill (not certain about him as he was born 1797, before the marriage date), John Gill, born 1798, William Gill, born 1801, "my" David Gill, born 1803, George Gill (born 1804) and Joseph Gill (born 1808). I hope this is helpful. Btw, I saw the possible father of Lydia as being a painter and David was a painter too; not sure if this is significant. Good luck with your search. Nikki.

Offline curveycat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Gill yarcombe
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 October 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi dee jay
I have a baptism for John Gill 11 June 1812 Yarcombe, Devon. Mother Lydia Gill. It say base. So I wonder if there was a Lydia Gill born 1790s but not married to Thomas Gill.  Anyway, all the other children's baptism's have found say that the parents are Thomas and Lydia Gill, so she may be the same Lydia. Unless Thomas had died by the time John was born.
The marriage I found for Thomas Gill and Lydia Crabb is 30 Sept 1798 Church Stanton, Devon. So its all a little confusing.
I have found a burial for a John Gill 1861 at Victoria park cemetery, hackney Middlesex. once again I'm not sure if its my John.
i'll keep in touch if I find anything new, and hope you will do the same.
from Maxine
Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Suffolk, London, USA

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 October 15 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nikki and Maxine.

Thanks for your responses - you must be psychic!

Earlier this month I resumed research activity via a local contact, requesting a look-up in Ashill PRs for Lydia CRABB's baptism together with those of any siblings. As a direct consequence, I am currently awaiting delivery of a microfiche order for the PRs from Somerset RO to see if I can piece together the family's presence and/or absence, utilizing Overseers' a/cs and Vestry Minutes etc., in an endeavour to ascertain a reason for the late group baptisms of Lydia's siblings, including David, on 27 Jun 1797.  I hold an undated copy of a 19th Century Examination of David CRABB, born Ashill, Somerset [c1797], who enlisted in the 46th Regt of Foot at Ruishton aged 19 and whose subsequent legal settlement was determined as Colyton, which I obtained from Devon Archives earlier this year after holding the reference from their on-line catalogue for several years.

Marriage banns only were called at Church Stanton for Thomas GILL & Lydia CRABB:  the ceremony having been performed subsequently at Ashill 10 Oct 1798.  However, I am advised that Lydia's baptism is dated 07 Nov 1784, parentage James & Mary CRABB, which suggests either a very young bride or another late baptism.  I am very wary of making any assumptions, as one of her marriage witnesses appears to have been a John CRABB, whose identity is yet to be established, not forgetting there may have been earlier children of her father's first marriage.

I've waited a very patient five years since launching this thread here:  I don't anticipate a quick resolution but I am now hopeful.  ::)

dee-jay
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nikki Stern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 February 16 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee-Jay and Maxine,
You're right, it's all very confusing, and hopefully I haven't added to that!
Good luck all with your searching! Nikki.