Author Topic: John McGregor shipmaster Lochcarron  (Read 8140 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McGregor shipmaster Lochcarron
« on: Monday 06 September 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know who his parents were? I have seen his grave photo at Lochcarron and found his will (1851), but haven't bought it. He married Mary McGregor in 1828. She was from Contin, and I have other McGregors in that area in the 1850's.

I'm hoping his father was Duncan, and as his eldest son was Duncan, I might be in luck.

Is there anyone from this family out there? Some of the family migrated to New Zealand. All help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ann

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John McGregor shipmaster Lochcarron
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
Reply deleted - incorrect info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vimac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann

The Captain John McGregor and Mary McGregor (born Contin) to which you refer are my gg grandparents. 

Their son William (my g grandfather) was born in Lochcarron and emmigrated to New Zealand abt 1870-1872.  He married Elizabeth McIvor from the Isle of Lewis in 1873.

I have only just recently found a census and marriage link to his youngest brother, Donald.  He disappears again after the 1881 census. The other brothers,  Duncan and John are still mysteries to me.

With regards to Capt. John's ancestry I am not certain.  However, there is a strong link (but not yet proven) with a John McGregor (abt 1761) and Margaret MacBeath living in Gask (Daviot and Dunlichity), south east of Inverness.

I hope this information helps with your research.

Heather

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather,

I'm sorry to take so long to reply and to thank you for your info. We were away, and then my dad passed away and I'm just getting back to my Scottish research again.

My ancestor was Margaret McGregor, born in Lochcarron about 1783, father Duncan, mother Ann, surname unknown, according to her death certificate. She has a brother John born about 1800 in Lochcarron, but his parents were Duncan and Isabella (nee McRae), so maybe Duncan married twice or Ann is a mistake by the informant.

I can't get a definite link with your Capt John yet, but it was interesting that your family lived near Inverness, as Margaret and her family came to live near Newton, south of Inverness, about 1811, and that's where she died in 1858 age 75.

I'll keep searching and let you know of any breakthrough I make.

Ann

Offline SMACGR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 11 05:33 BST (UK) »
The line that Heather refers to is also my family line. My Grandfather was John Mac Gregor,believed born in 1876 in Kakanui NZ. His father was John Mac Gregor, Shipmaster Lochcarron & Elizabeth McIvor is also in our line. My father is Duncan Mac Gregor & brother Robert Mac Gregor. My brother has been to Locharron & seen the grave, plus traced the family tree thus far. My name is Susan, I live in NZ & my brother Robert in the Middle East. As with Heather my brother has not progressed any further with tracing the family back beyond what she states, but thought I would contact you as find the connections interesting.

Susan

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 October 11 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,

Thank you very much for your reply and your interest. The only other info I have found is that Mary was the daughter of Donald MacGregor and Ann Grant, but you probably have that already.

Good luck with your research. It's not easy with so many names the same, but still a fantastic hobby.

Regards,

Ann

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've been helping someone with his research of Mathesons in Lochcarron and his family ties in with your McGregor family. Mary McGregor, after Captain John McGregor's death, married Duncan Matheson. If any of you want to add that line to your reserach, let me know and I'll send you the contact.

Cheers,
Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline SMACGR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 12 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Anne & Kiko. Sorry to hear of your father's passing, our father Duncan passed away just before Xmas.
I didn't mention that our grandfather, John Mac Gregor, is buried in Morrinsville cemetry NZ. His name is spelt Mc instead of the Mac that we use. He married twice as his first wife died. His 1st wife was Edith Jane Davis. She died at age 45yrs.His second wife was our Grandmother ie Hilda Ernestine Mundy born in Tasmania. She had also married twice. His date of death was 10th April 1938, & date of birth was 1876.

Offline rachill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 February 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

My partner is a gr grandson of Hilda Ernestine through her 1st marriage to Sidney HOPKINS, was hoping to find out about any children from her 2nd marriage to John MacGREGOR.  Thanks.