Author Topic: Nathaniel Currie in Kirkbean  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Colesville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nathaniel Currie in Kirkbean
« on: Monday 06 September 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
My family legend says that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather, named Nathaniel Currie, came from Kirkbean.  A candidate seems to be Nathaniel Currie, son of James Currie born in Kirkbean on 15 February 1765.  In 1790, my GGG Grandfather emigrated to Belfast to apprentice as a tailor and then moved to County Armagh.  I have detailed information on his sons and the succeeding generations. His eldest son (my ancestor) emigrated to Ontario, Canada to found the village of Glencoe.  However, I have been unable to verify any information concerning his existence and/or other information about the family in Scotland.

Do you know if there are any other descendants of James Currie that would still be in the Kirkbean or Dumshires area and that might have family records that would address Nathaniel's emigration and/or his life in North Ireland?

Moderator comment: see also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=228746.new

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nathaniel Currie in Kirkbean
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
Keep in mind alternative and interchangable spellings. I have been looking at the Kirkbean burials, there is only one Currie burial listed in Kirkbean graveyard, but there are 6 Corrie burials, and the same goes for other graveyards in surrounding areas.

James.

Offline Colesville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
James,

Thanks for the reply.  I have been keeping the Corrie spelling in reserve.

The given name Nathaniel appears in the succeeding three generations of the Currie that emigrated to NI and then to Glencoe, Canada.  The use of Nathaniel among the Curries is relatively rare in old Scotland, almost entirely occurring in Kirkbean or more generally in Kirkcudbright.  So this seemed a good place to investigate.

Therefore, while you are among the cemeteries, I would greatly appreciate you  noting any Currie/Corrie/Curry gravestones that have a given name of Nathaniel and sending me the rest of the information, perhaps including dates and the names of the wife and children.  The Kirkbean Parish Historical Society apparently has a project to record and put on its web site the gravestone data, but this appears to be sometime in the future.  I will wait for them for a more complete listing of the Curries/Corries.

Thanks,

Doug

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
You can buy a book from the Dumfries Family History shop called

The Stewartry of Kirkcudbright monumental inscriptions pre 1855.
Published by the Scottish Genealogy Society.  ISBN Number 0 901061 78 6
Volume 7 which I have covers Kirkbean, Kirkpatrick Irongray, Newabbey, Terregles, Lincluden College and Troqueer
that is what I'm looking at in order to assist you.

Other volumes cover other graveyards.
James.

Wul

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Colesville and mosstrooper

Try this link: http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/ and see if it helps.

Wul

Offline Colesville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Mosstrooper,

Thanks for pointing me to the MI listings.  I am trying to gett access to them.  A few of the parishes seem to have been digitized in 2003-2004.  Do you know if it is an on-going project for the other parishes (Kirkbean in particular).

Doug

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Doug,
           You can obtain all the books and records you need from the Dumfries Family History shop in Dumfries either by visit or Mail delivery.

Go here :- http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/

Don't forget the nearby areas such as Wigtonshire :-

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/index.html

James.

Offline wsmudge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 15 07:44 BST (UK) »
I too am descended from Nathaniel Currie founder of Glencoe (via William in Neepawa).  Not sure whether this relates but someone on Ancestry noted that the father of Nathaniel Currie, b. 1790 Armagh, of unknown first name (but likely Nathaniel George or Hugh -- must be based on the names of those that descended in Cda?) came from Saltcoats, north Ayrshire.  When first in Canada they listed their religion as Wesleyan Methodist on the census data  In Ireland, this would have apparently been included in the listings for the Church of Ireland during that time period.  But in Scotland, which church it would be listed under is problematic from my research.  Unfortunately nothing is listed as the source material for the Saltcoats info for the father of Nathaniel. 
Also, I lost how to get in touch with you Doug...glad to have found a posting on this board.
distant cousin Kathleen

Offline Colesville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 January 16 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Kathleen,
w.r.t. the father of Nathaniel Currie, b. 1790 Armagh, I had guessed at his first name from several sources and put it my tree.  This was sent to a relative, but all of a sudden, it is all over the web.  Lots of luck for confidentiality.

Do you have any more information  about "Saltcoats, north Ayrshire".  I have been concentrating on Kirkbean, since there are four different Nathaniel Corries that have the correct age to be the immigrant to Belfast.  And there are a number of other Nathaniel Corries from there.

w.r.t. the religion of Nathaniel Currie, b. 1790 Armagh,  a history of Glencoe notes that he belonged to the Church of England/Anglican Church, while his wife was a Wesleyan Methodist (the latter has persisted down to the present).  A Canadian house census in 1881 indicated that his son (Nathaniel) was in the Church of England while his wife was E. Methodist.

Kathleen, good to hear from you again.

Doug