Author Topic: Need a little help with this one please!  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Need a little help with this one please!
« on: Monday 06 September 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
I really hope someone can shed some light on this.  ???

I will tell you what I know, and then possibly someone can figure out what happened.

Henry Carson Johnston (my relative) married Lillian McKinley on July 13, 1888 in Blythswood, Glasgow, Scotland. The first "strange" thing that happened, (and of course I just noticed) was that she must have already had "problems" with the law back then. It states on "Scottish Marriage Certificates" - "If a regular Marriage, signatures of officiating Minister and witnesses. If irregular, Date of Conviction, Decree of Declarator, or Sherrif's Warrent."

On the 1891 census it shows them having 2 children and living together.
44 Bardowie St.
Henry C Johnston      head     married    32 yrs    Photographist Artist     employed     born   Ireland
Lilley                         wife          m        22                                                                       England
William                      son                     21 months                                                           Lanarkshire Lanark
Jane                          dau                       2 months

In 1905 (Lillian Johnston) Henry's wife supposedly arrives in Canada. (I can't find her passenger list.)

In 1906 (Jane or Jean) Henry's daughter, supposedly arrives in Canada. (I can't find her passenger list).

In 1908 (Henry Johnston) arrives in Canada. (I have his passenger list and his wife, daughter and son, are not on it).

In 1909 daughter "Jane" gets married in Canada.
Groom: Harry Alderton
Profession: Mechanic
Marital Status: Bachelor
Religion: Presbyterian
Usual Residence: Owen Sound
Father: Henry Alderton
Profession of father: - (just a hyphen written in space)
Name of mother: unknown
Bride: Jeanette Johnston
Profession: -
Marital Status: Spinster
Religion: Presbyterian
Usual Residence: Owen Sound
Father: Harry Johnstone
Profession of father: -
Mother: Lilian McKinley
Married on the 10th of June, 1909, at Owen Sound, by License, by Thomas A. Rodgers.
Witnesses: Chas. Ed. Huggins and Mary C. Randall, both of Owen Sound
Date of Registration: July 19th, 1909

In November of 1910, Lillian Johnston (m/s McKinley) attempts to cross over the border to the U.S. with a Samuel Grimason. They are "Debarred".

On the 1911 Census it shows Jane living with her family in Owen Sound.
Address: 481 - 13th Street West, Owen Sound, Ontario
Alderton Harry
Male
Head
Married
Birthdate: Dec 1881
Birthplace: England
Alderton Jean
Female
Wife
Married
Birthdate: Feb 1891
Birthplace: Scotland
Age 20
Alderton Lilean E
Female
Daughter
Single
Birthdate: Mar 1910
Birthplace: Ontario

In 1912, Lillian Johnston (m/s McKinley) is attempting to go to Cleveland, Ohio with a Samuel Grimason. They are rejected.

In May 1915 Henry Johnston travels from Canada to the U.S.

I will post other images on the next post

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little help with this one please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Could someone possibly tell me what they could have done?  I could not find them in the 1911 Census living in Toronto like they said. (Lillian McKinley & Samuel Grimason).

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
There could be yet another twist to this story.

I can't see this, but there is a birth for a "John McKinley Grimason" in York with father Samuel Grimason and mother Lily McKinley.

(where would he have been, when they were trying to move to Cleveland?)

Still can't find them on the 1911 Census. Looked under Grimason - McKinley - Jones - Johnston

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 September 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice M

The details of the birth of John Mckinley Grimason in the County of York and Division of Toronto are as follows:

Date of birth:  August 30, 1908
Name of father:  Samuel Grimason
Maiden name of mother:  Lily McKinley
Residence of father:  270 Westmoreland Ave.
Occupation of father:  Grocer
Name of person making return:  A. Montgomery
Address of person making return:  left blank
Date of registration:  September 3, 1908

Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
There is a Form 30A for Lily Grimason, 50, b. Bedlington, England returning home to her husband, Samuel Grimason of 80 Smith St. Winnipeg, Manitoba.  She had returned to England for a visit.  She left Montreal June 30, 1922 and arrived back Sept 2, 1922 on the Saturnia.

On the 1916 Canadian census at 1523 Victoria Ave. Regina, Saskatchewan is Samuel Griemson, b. 1873 England, 43, Shoe salesman in a store with wife Lily Griemson,45,  b. 1871 England with both showing an immigration year of 1905.  Living with them is a lodger, John See, 24, bookkeeper.

If you google Immigration Act of 1903 or the same for 1907 for the US you will find reasons for refusing to admit people into the US.  If you could not read a language they could refuse you entry - I guess their reasoning was that at some point you wouldn't be able to look after yourself in gainful employment?  If you were epileptic you could be refused.  If you were a contract labourer you could be refused entry and the list goes on..........

Immoral character (immigration judgement not mine) does enter into the picture and the fact that these people were not married and were travelling together to set up house might have been a factor in their debarrment.

Debbie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 September 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much!

This has been the "most exciting" thing to hit this side of the family.  ;D

Everyone needs a little scandal in their family history.  ;)

I truly appreciate this information.

Thanks again.

Janice

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 September 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you search the following sites, there appear to be death registrations for both Samuel and Lillian in Vernon, BC.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1538285
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-145F5F9/gbsearch

I can check the details of these on my next trip to the family history library if you like.

Susan

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thank you so much! I truly would appreciate any information you can gather. I had always wondered what had happened to her, as she seemed to disappear from Henry's and her daughter Jean's life. Her son William Johnston probably died in Scotland, but I really have no way of knowing.

Thank you again.

Janice

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice M

I was finally able to get the look-ups done so if you would like to send me your email address via pm I will forward the information.

Sorry for the great delay....life just got a little hectic lately.

Cheers,

Susan