Author Topic: Joseph John BOOTH where born?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph John BOOTH where born?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 September 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Jamjar - thanks for those but none show the Qld reg death of Joseph John Booth as mentioned in that Queensland paper in 1886.  This is the Qld Birth Death and Marriages registry details:  John Joseph Booth d 1886 registration number C223, parents Joseph Booth and Maria Underwood.  This ties in with the 1886 death I also just found on Ancestry:  Registration No. 00023, page number 1335.  Death of John Joseph Booth 22 March 1886, parents Joseph Booth and Maria Underwood.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 September 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Where are you getting the 1886 C223?

Jamjar

Found it: 1886   C223   John Joseph Booth parents Joseph Booth and Maria Underwood

Last column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19804443

John Booth, farmer, Gin Gin, near Bundaberg, to Jane Gibson Booth, the widow—personalty £80, realty £900.
SECOND DAY. (1886, July 10). The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939), p. 48. Retrieved September 15, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19806372

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 September 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
Looks like I should have read the thread from the beginning.  ;D

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
I'm back! But a little confused. Do I understand correctly that the parents of John Joseph Booth that married Jane Affleck were Joseph Booth and Maria Underwood?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
It's hard to say.

I can see how Alanna could think that's the case.

It depends on how long it was between the death, which could have been in 1885 and the probate in 1886, or if he died in 1886 and the probate was in 1886, then the death with parents Joseph and Maria Underwood could be a possibility.

They did have a daughter Maria.  ;)

Jamjar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 September 17 07:29 BST (UK) »
JamJar and Weemalla

Based on the fact the newspaper article states that probate was granted in 1886 to Jane Gibson Booth, wife of John Joseph Booth - it would seem to be the right couple.  The only deaths registered in Queensland under the name Booth for 1885 and 1886 are:

1885 - C1534 - Unnamed (m) Booth - parents William Booth and Caroline Bennett.  I expect 'unnamed' because it was an infant death
1885 - C79 - Isabella Alice Booth (clearly not who we want)
1886 - C223 - John Joseph Booth - parents Joseph Booth and Maria Underwood
1886 - C594 - Roy Foster Booth - parents Henry Frederick Booth and Eliza Fox
1886 - C3823 - William Booth - parents Coats Booth and Margaret Selby

We can go back to 1884 if you think Probate may have taken that long - they are:

1884 - C1350 - Reuben Booth - born England aged 47 years
1884 - C5236 - Isabella Jane Booth -again not relevant
1884 - C4467 - Sarah Booth - again not relevant

Based on the above deaths registered in Queensland, I believe the John Joseph Booth mentioned in the newspaper in 1886 is the same as the John Joseph Booth who died on 22 Mar 1886.
The article in the Maryborough Chronicle - Fri 9 Jul 1886 states 'John Booth, farmer, Gin Gin, near Bundaberg, to Jane Gibson Booth, the widow.'  Other papers say JG Booth for Jane.

I can't really see any reason to believe that Joseph and Maria wouldn't be the parents of this particular John Joseph Booth and that seeing the article says this person was the husband of Jane Gibson Booth - that John Joseph Booth died prior to July 1886.

You have to go back to 1881 to find a male death with name John - but he is John Longely Booth.  Prior to that There is a John Smith Booth died inb 1875 and a Joseph Booth died in 1875.  I think it is a stretch to think it would take that long for Probate to be completed.  I may be wrong though.  Hopefully a copy of the death cert might help - but I am doing this for a friend and waiting to see if she wants to purchase it.

Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 September 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
I've just had another thought.  John and Jane's son Arthur was born in July 1885, so John Joseph had to be alive until at least Oct 1884 to have fathered him.

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
All looks good to me. Allana. In doing your research for your friend have you come across anything that gives credence to the notion that John Joseph Booth that died 1886 was "born at sea in c1834"? I have this as a note but don't know where I found it and haven't been able to substantiate it. Any thought?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 September 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry Weemalla - no thoughts on that.  I have found a possible arrival in Qld on the John Davis of John or Joseph Booth in 1855.  I have also found a possible birth of him in the UK in 1833 in Kidderminster, Worcester but would really like to see that death cert to see if has his place of birth and date.  They are only possibilities but I think my other posts are pretty certain.  I'd like to see his marriage cert to Jane Gibson Affleck too in case that has his parents and dates and places of birth but again - waiting to see what my friend thinks.