Author Topic: Joseph John BOOTH where born?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph John BOOTH where born?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 September 17 05:09 BST (UK) »
Thought I would let everyone know I have now seen the marriage cert of Joseph John Booth and Jane Gibson Affleck - married at Dalby Queensland on 1 June 1868.  JJ states his age as 34 - born 'at sea' - which helps with all those rumours mentioned above - and that his parents were Joseph Booth - sailor and Maria Underwood.  Unfortunately doesn't get us any further with Joseph Booth and Maria Underwood - where they were coming to and from when JJ was born, and if he came to Aus alone on the John Davis in 1855 at age 20. 
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 September 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
..... and if he came to Aus alone on the John Davis in 1855 at age 20.

The passenger list is here, he was from Northampton and the only BOOTH:

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Image/DigitalImageDisplay.aspx?ImageId=38663#page=5&view=Fit&ispdf=true

I have also found a possible birth of him in the UK in 1833 in Kidderminster, Worcester

Is this the baptism you are talking about?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J9WP-Y74

Parents' marriage:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJ3H-Z2N

Have you looked at the original church records to see the father's occupation?

Debra  :)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 September 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Yes Debra - they were the baptism and marriages I found.  However I have since been given a Joseph Boot on a passenger list which fits better - naming the place he came from as Keddermincks.  Fits in well with his baptism place of Kidderminster I feel.  I will try to attach it but says he was 19, born 1833, place of Origin Keddermincks, ship name: Rajah-Gopaul, Port of arrival: Brisbane - Date of Arrival 14 Sep 1852.  Dalby where he married Jane Gibson Affleck in 1868 is inland from Brisbane.  I am sure I found a Joseph or John Booth who had married someone else, and his marriage registration to Jane says he was a widower, so now I will try to find that marriage - and that person's death.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 September 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
Had a Eureka moment.  Given that my last post contained an entry that Joseph Boot arrived in 1852 in Brisbane - and his marriage to Jane Gibson Affleck in 1868 says he was a widow, I have now found on the Queensland Births Deaths and Marriages set, a registration for a marriage of Joseph Boot to Margaret Black - BM683.  B stands for a Brisbane death.  I have also found a death for a Margaret Booth in 1858 - C431.  Her father was Thomas Black.  Where 'mother' is it says - **born Ireland aged 24 years.  I am thinking the - represents the mother and the 'born Ireland aged 24 years' is for Margaret saying she was born in Ireland and died aged 24 - putting her birth year at 1834 which would be about right.  I have also found that Joseph Boot and Margaret Black had a daugher 'Maria' born 1858 in Queensland.  The registration no. is C1173.  Woohoo.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 September 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Maria Boot, born 12th May 1858  Father, Joseph Boot, mother, Margaret Black.

Queensland Registration 1858/C1173.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 25 September 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
However I have since been given a Joseph Boot on a passenger list which fits better - naming the place he came from as Keddermincks. 

It says Kidderminster...

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Image/DigitalImageDisplay.aspx?ImageId=39226#page=5&view=Fit&ispdf=true

My next question was going to ask if he had been previously married because of his age when he married Jane, but you seem to have that sorted now.

Debra  :)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 September 17 03:37 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Dundee.  I hadn't seen the image - only the transcription. Obviously the transcriber had no idea what he/she was looking at

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 September 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There were two Margaret Black persons on the vessel Maria Soames that arrived in Moreton Bay on 9th July 1852.

Both single, domestic servants, one 21 from Tyrone and one 25 from Paisley.

The marriage for Joseph Boot and Margaret Black was a Church Registration for the Presbyterian Church in Brisbane and many of these Church Marriages are available on Microfilms, the State Library of Queensland has many of these films.

Next time I am at the State Library I could check the films to see if their marriage record is available and send you the details.

The NSW BDM index shows that Margaret Booth died in Ipswich so she maybe buried at that location, there are extensive records for the Ipswich burials but I don't think they are on line.

Gerry

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 25 September 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the details on the marriage certificate, 1868.

Can you list aa the details on the death certificates for Jane and husband Joseph.