Author Topic: The ALLEN Family in Wellginton, Somerset, UK  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Tiberius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The ALLEN Family in Wellginton, Somerset, UK
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find further details for my maternal ancestors who seem to have originated from Wellington.

My great great grandfather was Peter Allen and he was born in Wellington on 31st March 1820 from parents William and Sarah. There are 2 Williams and Sarahs wed within a couple of years of each other and until I can decide which one is the right one I am afraid I am stuck.

The earliest reference census I have is 1851 and at that time Peter was already living in Bridgwater where he spent the rest of his life. He married Frances Baker of Bridgwater whose parents I have deducted also came from Wellington.

Any help would be appreciated. If I haven't given enough info please also let me know.
Kind regards,
Nick Passmore

Offline Bryt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Allen Family in Wellginton, Somerset, UK
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick. I see you are a Passmore.....any connections to the Sedgley area ones?
RIP August 2006  Sharp.. Colclough.. Allen.. Leach.. Bromley.. Rawlinson.. Ridgway.. Locker.. Pott.. Burton.. Hartshorne.. Renshaw.. Steele.. Wattison.. Dawes.. Spode.. Hurlstone or Earlstone.. Hill or Warren Hill.. Adams.. Poole.. Wheat.. Griffin.. Machin.. Jones.. Worsdale.. Baggott.. Plant.. Bennett.. Mansfield.. Challinor.. Lear.. Loud.. Passmore(Sedgley).. Bradley(Lower Gornall/Northumberland)..

All Stoke on Trent unless stated otherwise.

Offline MelGee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Allen Family in Wellington, Somerset, UK
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

I see it is some time since you posted this but I am also descended from Peter Allen. Peter is my maternal great great great grandfather and I too have struggled with the records for William and Sarah. I wonder whether you have had any luck in deciding which William and Sarah are the right ones? I found Sarah Stradling married 1st Feb 1803, and also Sarah Pyne married 29th Sept 1799 but have no other info to tell which is the right one.

I am just starting to look into the Allen branch of my family as I only met a few of them as a child, and my mother does not know much about them either.
Our line runs as follows:
Peter ALLEN and Frances BAKER
Henry ALLEN (b.1852) and Charlotte LAKEMAN (b.1855)
Clifford George ALLEN (b.1874) and Edith Blanche (or Blanche Edith?) OATEN (b.1882)
Geoffrey ALLEN (b.1914) and Barbara Maud CHEAL (b.1911)
Jennifer ALLEN (my mother)
Melanie BURGESS (me)

I would be interested to know if you have any info on the above line? I have details of siblings in each generation if you are interested....

Regards
Mel Green
Shepherd / Somerset & Glamorgan.
Hammersley / Coventry.
Tong or Tongue / Herefordshire.
Evans / Flintshire
Burgess / Staffs, London & Essex.
Kearn / Hereford & Montgomery.
Bullen / Surrey & Middx.
Allen / Somerset.
Cheal / Surrey, Berks, Sussex, Devon & London.
Mugford /  Devon.
Riches /  Suffolk, Essex & London.

Offline Tiberius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 06 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mel,

How lovely to hear from you. I have been looking for these elusive little devils for years now and if you send me your email I can send you a family tree of that which I have. I don't know really the best way to do it as there are several photos I can send as welll.

By porcess of elimination I worked out that it was probably Sarah Pyne that our William married. When I find my notes I will let you know how I did it I know it took me several days if not a week of searching and comparing births, marriages and dates.

I think I worked out that One William (the other one) married Ann Bishop first and when she passed away around 1800 he remarried Sarah Stradling.

One of the Sarahs died around 1834 and I figured out this was probably Sarah Pyne and that William carried on alone but was still alive when Peter got married in 1844 (I think).  That ruled out the other William who I believe to have died earlier but as I said I have to find my notes.

It's rather late here right now 0.43 in the morning so I am a mite tired but can't resist letting you in on the family secrets.

Harriet Paine was born in Bridgwater as were her siblings but guess what. Her father and mother both came from Wellington. I seem to remember her father being a rope maker similarly to Peter who did this work right up until he died it seems. He was 76 by the way and died in 1896 if my information is correct.

If you would like to you can reply to my private email as I read that two or three times a day normally.

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You

I myself was born in Bridgwater but have lived for many years in the Netherlands so my family searching is done primarily using the internet and on the odd occasion at the local records office.

Well I hope that is enough to keep you going for a while, who was it that you met in the Allen family, I may have met them too?

Best wishes,
Nick

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
i see this was some time ago but wander if you got anywhere with it?
i see from the 2 x marriages you are having trouble with that it is the same william.
william allen married sarah pyne 29th sept 1799 wellington st johns.witnesses were robert thatcher and abraham shortland.second wedding has william as a widower hence first sarah died .william allen married sarah stradling 1st feb 1803 wellington st johns witnesses were james pyne and abraham shortland again.william was a widower.don't have the first sarah's burial but do have the second sarah's.sarah allen buried 13th july 1834 wellington st johns wife of william allen from rockwell green.there is also a burial for a child of william and sarah.edward allen aged 6 months son of william allen and sarah buried 31st may 1818
hope this  helps?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: The ALLEN Family in Wellginton, Somerset, UK
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I realize that this is an old thread.  However, for the interests of posterity and any new researchers who may be seeking the same information, I can add that William's first wife, Sarah Pyne died sometime between 23 Sep 1802 and 1 Feb 1803.  On the earlier date Sarah nee Pyne gave birth to her second child, Thomas Allen.  On 1 Feb 1803, Sarah nee Pyne's widowed husband, William Allen married his second wife Sarah Stradling.

Thomas All (born 1802) was buried 11 Aug 1807 at Wellington, St. John, Somerset, England.

I descend from the only child of William Allen's first marriage to survive, Mary, born 4 Apr 1800 at Rockwell Green.  Mary Allen married William Baker on 29 Jun 1821 at Wellington, St. John, Somerset, England.  Sometime between March 1826 and March 1828 Mary and William Baker moved to Bradford-on-Tone.  In total they had 14 children.

I hope this helps.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline cam4genes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The ALLEN Family in Wellginton, Somerset, UK
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 17 02:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in the Bakers from Wellington Somerset England. My William Baker was b. 1802 from John and Mary Baker but I don't know who Mary was or if John and Mary had any other children. My William Baker was in the Canadian Rifles in Quebec.