Author Topic: HEWSON - Ellesmere Baptism Record Lookup  (Read 2142 times)

Offline PatNattrass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HEWSON - Ellesmere Baptism Record Lookup
« on: Friday 10 September 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall. IGI shows that my ancestor Thomas HEWSON was baptised at Ellesmere on 29 Jan 1792, mother Ann, probably illegitimate.  I would be grateful if someone could check the register for me next time they go and see if the entry supplies any more information other than that held on the IGI.  According to the IGI there are no other HEWSON entries at Ellesmere around that time.  Many thanks for any help.
Heslam, Hewson, Baxter, Simcox, Parkes, Bullen, Knight, Bosworth, Gleadall, Allen, Skelding, Nattrass, Webb, Nelson, Lee, Featherston, Whitfield

Offline SPARKES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEWSON - Ellesmere Baptism Record Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello
          My GGG grandfather is listed as living with Thomas Hewson and family in Summer Lane in the 1841 census.
Edward Sparks and three other siblings,Phoebe,Ann and James who later later married Mary Hewson.
           I have not been able to find the parents of the Sparks children and wondered if there was a family connection earlier?
Maybe through Thomas Hewson's wife Sarah?
        Wondering if you have anymore information?
                        Regards Geoff Sparkes (Australia)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Visit to Shropshire Archives today.

bp. January 29th  1792 Ellesmere      Thomas  illigitimate son of Anne Hewson of Eastwick
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline SPARKES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 12 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alberbury for that information. Does anybody know if pat nattras (who did the original post) is
still with us? I have tried posting and facebook, but alas no answer.

Offline PatNattrass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Alberbury for the information, very much appreciated. 

Apologies Geoff for missing your reply until now as you can tell I dont spend a lot of time on the Rootschat website and must have missed the reply alert earlier in the year!  Thomas Hewson is my GGG Grandfather.  Sarah (nee Poultney) Leonard was Thomas Hewson's second wife (married Sept 1834) and not the mother of his children who were all born to his first wife Caroline Allen.  As you know Mary Ann Hewson married James Sparkes, however I am descended from Thomas and Caroline's second son William Hewson born 1826 Walsall, Staffs.  Caroline died in Birmingham in May 1834 and by 1841 my ancestor William was working as an apprentice Bootmaker to the husband of his Aunt Lydia (Allen) Hodgetts in Sheffield.

When I discovered the Sparkes connection I did do some delving but as to how accurate my findings are is hard to say.  I discovered that there was a niece Elizabeth living with James and his second wife in the 1871 census (RG10/3156/87/37) and decided to track her back.  She was the daughter of William Sparkes born in 1815 bapt St Martins, Birmingham son of William Sparkes & Diana. See 1861 Census RG9/2150/103/6 to connect Elizabeth to William Sparkes.  According to the IGI William Sparkes and Diana had the following children:  Pheobe born 1810, Benjamin b. 1812, William b. 1815, Thomas Mansell b. 1818, Ann Mansell b. 1820, Caroline b. 1825.

The ages recorded on the 1841 census are notoriously inaccurate but the dates given for Phoebe and Ann Sparkes (sisters to Edward & James?) were not too far away from the baptisms I found on the IGI for the sisters of William (b 1815) which led me to believe that I had found the right Sparkes family.  Unfortunately I was not able to find a baptismal entry for either James or Edward to confirm my findings conclusively.

The only information I have on Edward is from a New York Passenger List dated 15 March 1845.  He was a passenger on board a ship (Philidelphia Independence) which left Liverpool.  He was recorded as Edward Sparks age 22yrs Button Maker from England.

The IGI also has children baptised in Birmingham to a Richard Sparkes/Ann Mansell who were married 7 Jun 1768 in Wovlerhampton, Staffs and as some of William Sparkes' (senior) children were baptised with a second name of Mansell it would be logical to think that there is a connection here but I cannot find a baptism for William to support this theory. I also cannot find a marriage for William Sparkes to Diana.

To date I haven't come across any blood relationship between the Hewsons/Sparkes other than the marriage of James and Mary Ann. Hope you can make sense of the above and how does it compare with your own research?

Regards

Tricia Nattrass
Heslam, Hewson, Baxter, Simcox, Parkes, Bullen, Knight, Bosworth, Gleadall, Allen, Skelding, Nattrass, Webb, Nelson, Lee, Featherston, Whitfield

Offline SPARKES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tricia.
         It is tremendous to hear from you, I feared I may never have any contact with you. I have gathered so much information over the years
and the names that you have recorded are familiar to those I have. I will absorb the information you have researched and try to see how it fits in.
         Is it possible to share any information direct with you? I am in Australia. My email is  (*)
                  I have been researching Edward Sparkes for thirty odd years without much luck.
                                                Best wishes and I hope to hear from you soon.
                                                                                     Geoff

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.