Author Topic: Kain/Kane/Keane from Barna Keeraun Galway  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Kane Keane Kain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kain/Kane/Keane from Barna Keeraun Galway
« on: Friday 10 September 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thomas Kain was born in December 1876 in Barna, Keeraun, Gallway, Ireland.  His parents were William and Sarah Kelly Kain (spelling is from birth certificate for Thomas).

Thomas left Ireland for the USA.  His destination was Brookline, Massachusetts where his sister Anne lived.  He traveled on the SS Saxonia and arrived in April 1905. 

According to the 1901 Irish Census Kain became Kane and then in 1911 it was listed as Keane.  When Thomas arrived in the USA he became Kane.  Thomas was one of 9 children, 4 that I know of came to the USA 5 remained in Ireland.

I have been trying for 5 years to find any relative in Ireland that can help me with information on the siblings that stayed in Ireland.  My goal is to find a Kain/Keane/Kane in the Village of Barna, Galway that can help me to fill in the details.

I also have a mystery to solve.  Thomas had a sister named Julia.  I have not been able to find any record of her existence in Ireland.  I have found the 1901 and 1911 Census that lists the family but no "Julia"  So where did Julia come from?

There is so much that I would like to know and I am willing to share all my information on the siblings and their families that came to the USA.  Hopefully a realtive from Ireland will respond.

Thank you.

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kain/Kane/Keane from Barna Keeraun Galway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
William and Sarah had 11 children, all still living according to 1911 Cenus. Looks like Julia may have been around 20/22 in 1911. Could she already have emigrated. 

Offline Kane Keane Kain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
It is difficult to say.  Supposedly she was born in 1890 so I thought at age 11 she would have shown up on the 1901 census.  In 1911 at age 21 she may have left Ireland for the USA.  The earliest record that I have found in the USA for Julia is on the 1920 USA Census.  She was married to John J Shine and living in Brookline MA.  Had one son John that was born in 1919. 

Offline julkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 18 06:52 BST (UK) »
Mystery solved! I found Julia Kain's civil birth registration record online. She was actually born on 16 July 1885 in Keeraun, the daughter of William Kain (landholder) and Sarah Kelly. The birth was registered 15 September 1885 in Galway. So Julia was actually five years older than you thought. She probably emigrated at or by 16 (which would have been her age in 1901, when she was missing from the Irish census). It is typical of the 19th century Irish in the U.S. that many didn't know the day and year of their birth (birthdays were not celebrated in Ireland). They often just rounded off to the nearest decade. I found your post because I had a DNA match to a distant descendant of William and Sarah and was looking for information on the family's Irish origins.

Offline Kane Keane Kain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information, that is my Great Aunt Julia.   :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Why not post Links to what has been found??

Name   JULIA KAIN
Date of Birth   1885
Group Registration ID   9914025
SR District/Reg Area   Galway

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02643/1974704.pdf
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Kane Keane Kain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
That is a great idea.  In keeping with the spirit of providing links here is a link to a page I created on FB to show where my GF came from.
https://www.facebook.com/Bearna-Galway-Keeraun-Rahoon-Ireland-176685305732745/