Author Topic: SUMMERHAYES family  (Read 7992 times)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SUMMERHAYES family
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:22 BST (UK) »
I have a family and the information came from a document written by one of the children who was older when she wrote it.   I can't confirm any of the information so if anyone can help that would be great.  Apart from not being able to find anything one of the children's birthdate indicates the father and mother would both be 15 when they had her.   While this is not wholly impossible it is more likely to be incorrect than otherwise.

I spell Summerhayes this way but the record could show a completely different spelling however I have always searched on whatever Soundex etc is available which seems to bring up all the variations of Summerhayes

Father: Samuel Summerhayes b/chr 1 Jan 1815, Ilminster, SOM
Mother: Louisa Hickman b/chr 1816, England
Children
Cecilia Elizabeth
Henrietta Caroline Louisa bn/bap/chr 1830,  Taunton, England?
Samuel Lewis
Margaret Annie
Henrietta shows as being married to Edward Taunton Jebolt in 1862.   I haven't gone any further with this person at this stage but will do so in the future once I have confirmed the parent/child relationships.

I have looked for Samuel & Louisa's marriage in multiple places, multiple ways but no luck,  This mge should have been in Somerset but I have also looked with just England selected - but no. 

Samuels parents are Robert and Elizabeth.

Cecilia married twice - once to Alfred Anderson who was a professor (of chemistry & geology in Birmingham) who died in England.   She then came out to AU and married Richard Nicholls whi I think may be from NZ. 

So what I am looking for in all of this is:
Samuel & Louisa's birth and marriage info
The children's birth info
Cecilia's first marriage info.

Thanks in advance
lyraea
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Summerhayes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry all.  Please see my previous post.   I only need

Samuel & Louisa's birth and marriage info
Cecilia's first marriage info.

My mistake.

thanks
lyraea
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: SUMMERHAYES family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyraea,

Looking at the census both Samuel and Louisa were listed as aged 20 in 1841 (Cecilia 1) 1851 Samuel 35 and Louisa 33 (Cecilia 10 and Henrietta 8 so Henrietta was not born in 1830. 1861 Samuel 45 and Louisa 42 (only Henrietta aged 18) Let us know if you need the entries.

Cecelia Elizabeth SUMMERHAYES born Jun 1/4 1840 Taunton 10 452
Henrietta Caroline Louisa SUMMERHAYES born Jun 1/4 1842 Taunton 10 476

Samuel Lewis and Margaret Annie were doth born and died before the 1851 census

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Cecelia Elizabeth SUMMERHAYES = Alfred Geoge ANDERSON Sep 1/4 1864 Taunton 5c 600

Henrietta Carolin Louisa SUMMERHAYES = Edward JEBOULT Jun 1862 Taunton 5c 674

No luck with a marriage for Samuel and Louisa.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 September 10 05:26 BST (UK) »
Robert SUMERHAYS 62 a watchmaker b Churchstanton Devon appears in the 1851 in Taunton St Mary Magdalene - (High St.) Wife Elizabeth 66 b Buckland. Eldest child at home is 42. (born Combe St Nicholas others Ilminster)  He is a silversmith in 1841

Robert SOMERHAYS/SUMMERHAYS of Churchstanton = Betty SEARLE 7 Feb 1805 Combe St Nicholas

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 10 06:11 BST (UK) »
You noted in your first post that they were 16 when they had the first child.

Is it then possible they lied about their ages or Louisas in Census data ?.
The only christening for a Louisa Hickman I can find is this one;
Louisa HICKMAN, 12 September 1825, St James, Taunton, Somerset
Father, William Brown HICKMAN, Occp Baker, and ELIZABETH, Abode North Town
(Source FreeREG)
Louisa consistently says she is born Taunton on Census.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kimvee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 June 15 06:33 BST (UK) »
I recently acquired an "In Memory of" Ring. The inside inscription reads "Samuel Louis Summerhayes died 21 January, 1849. aged 5 1/2 years. I looked on Ancestry.ca and it shows death information that matches the date on the ring and Ancestry.ca shows Birth Record of July 1843. Both in Taunton.

The ring made me curious and I am a member of Ancestry.ca so did a search there and then on the net and found this thread. Hope the information helps.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 15 05:12 BST (UK) »
You noted in your first post that they were 16 when they had the first child.  Is it then possible they lied about their ages or Louisa's in Census data ? Trish :)

I appreciate this thread is nearly 5 years old but I thought I'd rise to the challenge as I've seen some sophisticated websites that have floundered and killed off Samuel way before his time!

If the head of household observed regulations, ages should have been ‘rounded down’ to the nearest 5 years when recording adults in June 1841.  For subsequent censuses age at last birthday should apply to households on a pre-determined Sunday night in late-March or early-April, viz.
30 March 1851; 07 April 1861; 02 April 1871; 03 April 1881; 05 April 1891; 31 March 1901; 02 April 1911.

The British Library Newspaper Archive reveals that Samuel SUMMERHAYES died in 1880 and there is wonderful biographical detail in contemporaneous local newspapers:
Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser - Wednesday 01 September 1880
Western Times - Tuesday 07 September 1880
and similarly for Edward JEBOULT:
Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser - Wednesday 21 June 1893

I'm no closer to locating a marriage or birth/baptismal records for Samuel and Louisa but my 'gut' instinct is that they could be steeped in Non-conformism, a possible explanation for a 'late' baptism for Louisa if her parents became needy for relief from the parish. 

There were HICKMAN mercers of Taunton hit by bankruptcies in 1815 and there were loads of HICKMAN bakers to feel the pinch when rocketing bread prices caused riots. 

I noted several deaths/burials in the name 'William Brown HICKMAN', and there was a strong contingent of BROWN clothiers in Chard district, so these are pointers to marriages by licence such as that on 05 Jul 1836 at Orchard Portman between William Brown HICKMAN bachelor of Taunton St Mary Magdaline [sic] and Elizabeth HILL spinster of Orchard Portman. It appears likely the groom's parents died in 1834 and his wife in 1840:  see burials at Taunton St James.

If interested parties would like further details, please contact by PM giving a current email address.

dee-jay   

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kimvee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 August 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, Your information was very helpful. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to private message. I found a Baptism Record for a Louisa Hickman daughter of Joseph and Cecilia Hickman Occupation Tea Dealer dated May 12, 1814 Abode Wotson Street? Maybe Watson. But that is all I could get on Hickman side.

The Probate for Samuel Summerheyes (note spelling) shows died August 28, 1880, with Louisa Summerheyes of Bridge Street, Taunton widow the Relict and sole executrix.

Thank you for responding, I think the Louisa Hickman I found baptized in 1814 may be the same Louisa Hickman married to Samuel Summerhayes based on their first born was named Cecelia.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 August 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
These details from a marriage notice in  Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser - Thursday 10 June 1813 - now become relevant:
31st ult. [May 1813] at West Monkton, Mr. Joseph Hickman, mercer, of Taunton, to Miss Lewis, of Bathpool.
If only it had recorded Miss Lewis's Christian name .....  ::)

There was a second notice later that year for a Mr James HICKMAN, mercer of Taunton, also to a Miss Lewis of Bathpool, but the venue was not given.

Incidentally, I believe you need to post 3 times on RootsChat before you can send a PM so can you please quote the source for Louisa's baptism?

dee-jay
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk