Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 2395 times)

Offline TonyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Evolution
« on: Friday 28 May 04 11:15 BST (UK) »
 :DGreat site. Excellent. Brilliant idea. :)
Thanks every one.

But why can't I reply to "started by RootsChaat messages?

Suggestions/questions:

1. where is the downloadable RootsChat icon I can insert into a web page on my site?

2. As a newbie, I'ld love to be able to see an overview of all the messages in a thread without having to move through page after page.
I'm not suggesting the current message board format needs changing; in fact I think it's well designed and organised as it is.
But when a thread such as 'Useful Links' gets to have a large number of messages, it might be appropriate to use a more compact less whitespace format  for messages on all but the first page.

One day I will go through the 'useful links' and incorporate them all in one page, but not just yet.
Tony D

Interested in: Drewry/Drury of Lincoln, 'Stewart-Drewry', Vose, Leatherbarrow, Anniss, USA Buttons, Prosser.

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re:Evolution
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 04 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
you can scoll thro the messages using the 'next' button on right top of message.
look for links by using the search button.

great site of yours,by the way.
i'm in the process of making a personal one,would welcome any tips ;D
jaq

Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline TonyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 May 04 14:53 BST (UK) »
 :)Yes, I see that, but it's still quite slow and clunky- fine for a few messages. 'Scrolling' through a number means that the user gets a lot of extra packing rather than fast access to content as it were.
Anyway just an idea for making info a little more accessible. :)
Still a great site.
Tony D

Interested in: Drewry/Drury of Lincoln, 'Stewart-Drewry', Vose, Leatherbarrow, Anniss, USA Buttons, Prosser.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 04 10:12 BST (UK) »

But why can't I reply to "started by RootsChaat messages?

The reason why some messages cannot be replied to (some of the 'started by RootsChat' ones) is because they have been locked. It's a way to separate straight forward "Links:" from messages.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.