Author Topic: Kealy family from Kilkenny  (Read 11162 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Kealy family from Kilkenny
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

my grandmother's partner was James Kealy, born in Kilkenny in May 1929. He passed away in 1997 in England. As he brought my dad and uncles up, I'd like to know more about his background. I don't know where he came from exactly or who his parents were. I do know he had a large family (I think 12 brothers and sisters) and had at least two brothers called Patrick and Francis, and a sister called Frances. Since there's no one around I can ask, can anyone forward me any information about his parentage and origins?

Thank you!

Cimbrio

Update: Patrick Kealy I know lived in Manchester, and worked as a fireman. The Kealy family came from Castlecomer, Kilkenny.
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kealy family from Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
I think the place to start is to search for a marriage for James as a cert will show his father's name and occupation to confirm, or rule out, any births you find. Do you know his wife's name and where and when they married ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Castlecomer cemetery;

Kealy headstone; Kiltown

Kealy Mary; 1/8/1886 (81) Damerstown
Martin (ftr); 11/5/1905 (77)
Anastacia (wife); 7/2/1907 (90)
--------
Kealy Bridie; 6/8/1974 (76)
Mary/James; parents; Dec 1907-March 1927
Joseph (hus); 30/4/1984 (80)
---------
Kealy Mary; 22/4/1975 (79)
Moira; 21/10/1947 (73)
Michael; 30/7/1981 (79)
William (son); 25/2/2002 (74)
-------------
Jack

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Castlecomer cemetery;

Offline kkermode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I, too, have a Kealy name in Kilkenny.  Thomas Ireland married Bridget Kealy in Kilkenny.  They had one known son, William Ireland m. Eliza Mary Stephens.  I have the basic records found on line.  Bridget (b. abt 1820) had two known sisters, Julia (b. abt 1824) and Mary Ann (b. abt 1813).  Julia gives her parent's names as Patrick Kealy and Mary Ann on her marriage reg. in MA.  It makes sense that there were other siblings with the birth years spaced over 10 years.
Julia and Mary Ann are CofE to the point of the Church being a focal point of their wills.  I think Bridget and Thomas are married in a Catholic church.  Is this possible?  I have been told that Patrick is a Catholic name.
Julia emigrates to Massachusetts by 1854.  Mary Ann, her husband John Roe and 7 children (born between 1838 and 1850's), emigrate to eastern Ontario by 1856.  Bridget and Thomas do not emigrate and Bridget most likely cared for William and Eliza Ireland's children when Eliza died.  William Ireland emigrated to the US by 1880. The Ireland children, once adults, emigrate to the US/Canada by 1886. 
Mary Ann and John Roe were from Enniskerry, Wicklow, according to family knowledge. No one has said Mary Ann was from Kilkenny originally.
Could all of the Kealys be from Kilkenny and somehow Mary Ann is found in Wicklow? Was there movement of single females around 1835-1850?  John Roe supposedly has a Crown Land Grant in Ontario.  Wouldn't he have to have been protestant?  There is an Ireland connection somehow to Tipperary.  Wicklow, Kilkenny, and Tipperary aren't that far apart. 
I pose these questions because I have found Bridget where I don't think she should be and where are her sisters and family?
I just read someone's post about the Kealys and a Patrick is named. 

Bonnie

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cimbrio   
Its a long time since you posted here and I dont know if you have seen this already

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F13J-C57

Link for a James Kealy  Birth  Castlecomer  1929  Mother Daly

Conahy

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 March 15 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I Have an Alice Kealy in my family tree,
Alice aged 18 married my Grandfather Patrick Doyle on the 15th August 1904 in St Canices.
She gave her address as Butts Green, My grandfather came from same address.
Her fathers name was James Kealy and he is listed as Labourer.

I have been trying to find out for years what became of Alice,I know they had 2 children Mary born circa 1905,John born circa 1906.
I believe Alice died sometime between 1908-1911 family story was in a Fire but dont know if there is any truth in this.
The reason I know the apprx date of Alice death is my grandad gave her as next of kin on some army papers I have belonging to him.

I believe Mary would have been raised by my Grandads family as she was on the 1911 Census at an address in Harolds cross Dublin with her aunt Honoria Doyle, this would be shortly before my Grandad remarried in 1912.

I see on the 1901 census that there is a James Kealy 30 living with Wife Mary 28 and Mother Alice Kealy 76 at 24 Aghamucky Castlecomer.

I then find on 1911 census, James Kealy 46 widower, with children James 8,Joe 7,Alice 5,John, Bridget 29 at 28 Aghamucky.

To tie up loose strings,I would dearly love to know what happened to Alice my Grandads first wife, or what became of his Daughter Mary.
Its possible he took John to live with him when he remarried.

Offline kkermode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I have made some progress since my post on Dec. 14th.

I found an actual record on FamilySearch for the marriage at Castleinch of Thomas Ireland and Bridget Kealy.  Bridget, as did Julia in Massachusetts marriage record, states that the father is Patrick.  Patrick is a laborer. Thomas and his father, William, are both listed as sextons.

I am back in touch with an Ireland family connection.  She is connected through Richard Ireland of Tipperary who married Catherine Cole.  We have come to think that Richard was the brother of William Ireland, father of Thomas. The marriage of Richard and Catherine produced the male lines where Cole was the middle name for Thomas, Samuel, William, and Richard Cole Ireland.  Thomas and Samuel emigrated to Connecticut.  Richard and William stay in Ireland.  We think that the William C. Ireland found in Kilkenny in the 1900's is the right William Cole Ireland.  Samuel C. Ireland is found as pallbear in Connecticut for my William Ireland, son of Thomas, sexton in Kilkenny and married to Bridget Kealy.  There are too many cross connections involving these Ireland families.  William even sent for Elizabeth Cole, aunt of Thomas Cole and Samuel Cole Ireland, and married Ellizabeth in Connecticut.

I have found record mentions for what appears to be several Patrick Kealys and for Bridget Kealys in Kilkenny.  Since they are only index listings I can only guess that one or more records are for my Patrick and Bridget.  Bridget Kealy married Thomas Ireland in Castleinch in 1845.  We have never thought that the Kealy/Irelands were Catholic but were devout high Anglicans. 

I have not found any records for a John Roe (b.1812) m. Mary Ann Kealy (b.1813/14) and their children Robert, Julia, Nicholas, John, Elizabeth Frances, Edward Thomas, and George (born approx. 1840-1855. 

I think there should be a burial record for Thomas Ireland and Bridget Kealy that gives me something new to research.  Patrick Kealy should be buried in Kilkenny.  Since I know of the three Kealy sisters, Mary Ann, Bridget, and Julia, there should be maybe more girls or some males to find.

Any help is appreciated.  Bonnie in Arizona

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 January 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
From book "Ossory Laois and Leinster" vol 1
Chapter - The 1821 census returns in the Carrigan Manuscripts

Castlecomer Parish
Aghamucky

Kealy William.            40 farmer.   42 acres