Author Topic: Still trying to locate stillborn grave  (Read 13937 times)

Offline gh03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Still trying to locate stillborn grave
« on: Monday 13 September 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I posted a while ago and got some really helpful replies but I wonder if I could ask for more help please?

My mum had a stillborn baby born in July 1960. She wasnt told where her baby was buried which I believe was typical in those days. 

I have tried the hospital and the undertaker (she managed to find out which undertaker) but they both say they dont hold records that far back.

The baby was born at Royal Bolton Hospital however at the time my parents lived in Little Hulton, Salford. 

We have tried searching buriel records at Bolton Museum but haven't found any record (we did find stillborns listed though which is promising). 

My mum wondered if she would have been buried at Wardley in swinton as that is an R.C. Cemetery. Does anyone know where the buriel records would be held?  Would they be held in Manchester?  If so is it possible to have someone from the archives section search for you? 

Thank you.

Offline gh03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Still trying to locate stillborn grave
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
just to update I phoned Peel Green Cemetary who hold the buriel records for Wardley and they have no record  :( Im really stuck now as I don't know what to try next. Can anyone offer any help please?

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Manchester library do hold some Burial records for churches in Bolton, but not so many Roman Catholic Churches.

The only church I can see listed for burial records of that date are:

Bolton- All Souls          Funerals-1952-1986- MFPR 1091

To be honest you don't come across burial records that late on microfilm at the libraries I have had a look at the LRO Catholic List of Records for Churches and they don't seem to have any either.

Sorry it wasn't more help

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
Try calling the cemetery.
St Mary's Cemetery

Manchester Road,
Wardley,
Worsley,
Manchester,
M28 2UJ.

Telephone: 0161 794 2194

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Susie

If your mum had her stillborn baby in hospital, the baby would probably have been put in a coffin with an adult.  As she has found the undertaker that is what must have happened.  Of course, there wouldn't be a record and I doubt that the family of the adult buried in the same coffin would even know a baby had been put with their relative.

Lizzie

ps.  My mum had a stillbirth at home about 1955/6 at 7 months pregnant.  The GP just took the baby away to be disposed of.

Offline gh03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Would they not keep a record of that then? By strange coincidence my mum said that the week before she was born my great grandmother was buried and they were told a stillborn baby had been put in her coffin.  Do they not keep any record of babies put in a coffin with someone else?

Offline gh03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Cancan, thank you for looking for me.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
Susie

I don't know if they kept records, I would guess not as parents didn't cuddle their stillborns like today, even when I was training to be a midwife in the 1970s, stillborn babies were just put in the sluice room until a porter came for them.  From memory, the only notes we made, apart from in the patients' notes, was in the birth register, where we would put "Stillborn" and we would give the parents a slip to take to the registrar to register the stillbirth.

Whether the hospital administrators made notes of how the babies were disposed of I have no idea.

Lizzie

Offline gh03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie. Looks like a dead end then. She actually only found out about the undertaker because one of the nurses on the ward knew him and mentioned to my mum that her baby was being buried that day.  I feel very sad for her. In those days you did as the doctor said and she was only young so didnt ask any questions. She was told to go away and forget about it but after 50 years she still hasn't.