Author Topic: Ellen Elizabeth Covell 1852 Worstead  (Read 4583 times)

Offline pamdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Elizabeth Covell 1852 Worstead
« on: Monday 13 September 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
I am in need of some help or advice please.

I have been searching for the parents of my G/G grandmother, Elizabeth Covell for the last 9 yrs.
I can trace her from 1870 from her marriage to Frederick Hood in Ditchingham, but have been unable to find any record of her before that date. According to the marriage record her father was John Covell. According to the census records fron 1871 onwards she was born in Worstead.

Then last week I discovered her name was Ellen Elizabeth............I know it is not unusual for people to be known by a name other than the one they were christened with........it just makes tracing them more difficult.

Anyway, armed with that snippet of information, I find an Ellen Elizabeth Covell baptised in Worstead on 10/10/1852, mother Maria Covell.........singlewoman. That date, the censuses and now her death certificate with her age, I am reasonably certain this is my G/G Grandmother.

I then tried to find her mother Maria, but the only Maria Covell I can find of the right age in the area was already married by 1852. Hence I feel so close to finding her parents and Grand parents and yet so far far away. There are a lot of Covell's in Worstead and Felmingham, all related but I just cannot find the connection. According to my mother, Elizabeth told her, her family came from 'up north, and were miners'. I have found Covell's who went from Norfolk to the North and came back and were miners, but still cannot find the connection. I cannot even find a reference to Elizabeth's birth.

There are many deviations to the spelling of Covell, I have searched them all. If anyone has ideas of where my search should take next I would be grateful.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Elizabeth Covell 1852 Worstead
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
Have you considered she may be Mary Ann and not Maria there is this family in 1851 by 61 some of the children have gone

Samuel Covill 41 ag lab b Dilham
Elizabeth 44 wife b Worstead
John 16 son ag lab b ditto
MARY ANN 14 dau b ditto
William 9 son b ditto
George 7 son b ditto
Emily 4 dau b ditto
Harriett 3 dau b ditto
Robert 1 son b ditto
Uptown Worstead
HO107 1808/265/12

Mary Ann is not at home on 61 census

Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pamdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, I had considered that maybe her mothers name was Mary Ann. There is also an Ann Maria Covell born 1824. I am assuming that her mother was born sometime before about 1835 i.e that she was over 16yrs before giving birth. I have tried looking in the censuses but still can find nothing. I have even decided that Elizabeth wasn't born in Worstead, just baptised there. If her mother didn't keep her she must have been living with someone, but as I say, I just can't find any trace of her in the 1861 census. I have looked at the census records for any Covell in the area, with that in mind, but just nothing. If she had been born a bit earlier I thought maybe some parishes kept a record of 'baseborn' children, but I have a feeling those records may have ceased around 1837 or not?

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 10:49 BST (UK) »
hi pamdragon
i hope i,m on the right track with this ,here goes i looked up the birth records and found maria and elizabeth , then looked in the banns for a marriage for a maria and found this
william buttle of the parish of trunch
maria covall of worstead  banns read in oct 1856
then checked the marriages for that date in worstead and there,s only one marriage for that year and it,s not theresso looked at trunch but the records for that parish aren,t on record search pilot so checked census for 1861 and found this
willliam buttle aged 25  trunch   ( brickmaker journeyman )
maria buttle 28  sea ruston
ann covell buttle 5  worstead
robert s buttle  4 trunch
margaret buttle 1 trunch
lavina buttle 3months trunch

i don,t know if this helps or hinders  :D
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 12:04 BST (UK) »
hi both
another little nugget i,ve been throught the births for worstead from 1813 to 1849 the only one likely for this maria is a mary born 2 july and baptised 20 july 1834father named george mother elizabeth there are other covells in that book but not round that date there is a mary anne born 18 march baptised 28 mach 1842father john mother anne , but to my mind to big a gap to be correct  . ps should add no maria covells in that book at all

trevor ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
Maria COVELL, born c 1837, Worstead, a Servant with the Kemps in North Walsham in 1851.
HO107/1809/30/15
If you look at the image it could be age 18

Uunder COVEL;
1841 Census
Worstead, Norfolk
HO107/784/27/Worstead
George COVEL, 25, Ag Lab
Elizabeth, 25
MARIA, 5
John, 4
James, 2
Rebecca, 3mths
All born in County
George COVELL married Elizabeth HAYNE, 01 December 1832, Sco Ruston, Norfolk, IGI, Extracted.

This is probably the Maria that married William BUTTLE.
Maria is not on the 1851 Census with them.
HO107/1808/269/21 
Frederick and Elizabeth name their first child Rebecca Elizabeth Hood

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Interesting;
Although the 1871 Census has Rebecca Hood born c 1870 Peckham, London, they are living in Ditchingham, Norfolk and Rebecca is not Christened there until 1872.;
Rebecca Elizabeth HOOD, 11 Fbruary 1872, Ditchingham, Norfolk
Parents, FREDRICH and ELIZABETH

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
hi trish
what do you think is the reason that maria is not in the births reg in worstead then as i said i went right through the book for the period 1813-1849 and it,s not in there , i know she could be bpt anywhere but i did look at east ruston which is the only parish on pilot search and went 4 years either side of the date given in post and it,s  still not there
is what i,ve posted all together wrong ? , i trust your honesty
trevor

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
1861 Census
George Covall ,48
Elizabeth Covall,47
John Covall,24
William Coval,15
Robert Covall ,10
ELIZABETH Covall,9
Benjamin Covall,3
RG9/1198/118/6

Could this be Elizabeth/Ellen Elizabeth with her Grandparents, down as Daughter? By 1871 she is married so this is the only Census she would appear on.

I can find Christenings;
JAMES NORMAN, 06 January 1839
MARGARET, 07 July 1848
ROBERT, 30 March 1851
BENJAMIN, 06 December 1857
All Worstead to George/Elizabeth on Familysearch Pilot
Also;
ANN MARIA, 30 December 1832, Sco Ruston, Norfolk to George/Elizabeth
(works with the Buttle inf o Trevor found)
+ a 5yr old MARY to George/Eliz in Worstead, 17 March 1839
I cant find anything for John born c 1837