Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51511 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walsh of Wexford
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Iam trying to find members of the Walsh side of my family.  I will be visiting Wexford end of March hoping to track down my elusive grandads kin folk.  The family were living in King Street in 1882 when he was born.  His mother was Mary Furlong, his father John Walsh a ships captain I believe.  I have tried many times on ancetry, so I am now hoping I can do better on this site.  I know he had a brother James and we think there was also a Thomas but there the trail goes cold.  ........   I now know grandads family where living in 1 Castlehill Street according to the 1901 census.  He had brothers William, James and Francis.
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
What was your grandfather's name? I have a Walsh family with John, Thomas and James but these are fairly common christian names. John was born 1862 and married Margaret Daly. Thomas 1891
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  My grandfather was John Joseph.  I have his birth certificate but he and Gran where married outside Wexford county and we don't have a certificate which would give his address in 1905.  Frustrating as they lived with us in Liverpool till their deaths but he never talked of his family.  Falling out of some sort.  I was hoping his photo might show a family resemblance to someone.   Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline kapajomi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I could not find any that would match in Wexford Town and this is only a possible in the 1901 census.
Kellystown Adamstown Bantry Wexford Household Walsh John(60) farmer Maryanne(55) wife-Mary(29)-James(27)-Patrick(25)--Anne(24)-Ellen(23)-Thomas(21)-John(14) 

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying but I know my Gt.grandfather was a seafarer.  I think grandad could have been at sea himself at the time of the census and I suppose the same thing could have applied to his father.  Hopefully I can find some more family information in the church baptism records on my visit next month.
Wexford Town..

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:00 GMT (UK) »
WALSH, MICHAEL. Rank: Stoker 1st Class. Regiment or Service: Royal Navy. Unit: H. M. S. "Lobelia. " Age at Death: 28. Date of Death: 18-January-1919. Service No: K/31017. Supplementary information; Son of Matthew and Mary Anne Walsh of Rochestown, Taghmon, Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 36. Cemetery: Piraeus Naval and Air Consular Cemetery in Greece.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  As I said, I will be going to Wexford next month.  Plan is to find Granddad's baptismal record and then check a few years before and after to find his siblings.  I will hold on to each offering of info as one may just be the piece that solves the puzzle.
Wexford Town..

Offline kapajomi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Here is one family of Walsh on Rowe St. in 1901

Wexford T./Row St. Lower St. Iberius Forth Wexford Household Walsh John(52) harness making hardware shop/ Christina(23)wife-Mary(2)-Josephine(5months)-Mary Howlin(36)servant-Ellen Drynn?(44)servant 

I thought I did all of Wexford Town for the 1901 census but may have missed an Upper Rowe St. Maybe a local would know if one there. Joan

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joan.  I did look through the 1901 census on my last visit but the only one  I found was Mary Walsh, widow.  Also a daughter Johanne and a son Patrick.  Possible John Walsh snr. had died before the census.  My mother did mention visiting her grandmother as a child but no mention of grandfather.  If the baptism records show the two new names, I am away.  Anne
Wexford Town..