Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51402 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 14:36 BST (UK) »
Still not given up on my Walsh connections.  I received the birth certificate for Thomas Walsh, born 1874 with parents John Walsh and Mary Furlong.  Had been told maybe granddad (John Joseph) was a late arrival in 1882.  Found a Thomas Walsh in the 1911 census, 38, same age as the birth certificate I have.  He lived in 4 Paradise Row with wife Mary and 3 daughters.  He is shown as a painter.  Does he belong to any other Walsh who uses this site. Also a James Walsh, age 52, in 9 Paradise Row married to Mary Anne.  Grandad had brothers by that name.  Fingers crossed as always, Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Liz P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Raine

I have just found this site it is brilliant.    Lannigan was my greatgrandfather.   My grandfather was Joe Walsh 1 william st.    We have just had a Walsh family reunion in Wexford and I have attached a photo taken of Joe's surviving children - Eilish, Joe and Patty (my mum).   I see my cousin Tony is also a member so we will be able to fill you in on any info you might need.

My mum is quiet good at remembering the names and connections to the past.     This is brilliant to chat to cousins we havent met.   

Moderator's Note: photograph of living people removed

Offline Plover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz P
Good to hear from you. Pity it's a bit late for the party/get together !
Your photos were removed. However after a few more messages on this site we can exchange addresses and photos. I remember my mother speaking of her uncle Joe, so I would like a photo of him to add to my collection. Capt Pat was my grandfather.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Plover

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi from a happy lady.  Have just received the marriage certificate for my grandparents, John Walsh and Mary Anne O'Rourke.  They were married 10th October 1906 atSt Nicholas Church, Francis Street, Dublin.  It has answered one question but I was hoping to find Grandads address in Wexford Town but it gives a Block, New Bride Street, Dublin for both.  Still I have a date I can now put in the tree for their marriage.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Kevin W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz P

I am also a descendant of Lanigan Walsh living in Cape Town, South Africa. I met your grandparents Joe and Lizzie when I visited Wexford in 1976 and 1977. Stayed at 3 William St in 1976.  Also met Joe Jnr and Jenny.

Am currently corresponding with others of the Walsh clan in Wexford.  Would like to hear fom you.

Regards

Kevin

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi to all you Walshes, I'm throwing in a little bit in case it's of any use to you, a little too far distant from my own tree really.

A stone in The Grange Cemetery, Wexford reads

"Erected by Alice Walsh in memory of her father William Lambert who died July
1st 1861 aged 50 years also he mother Alice Lambert who died Oct 6th 1881
aged 70 years."

Alice Lambert is my great grandmother whose maiden name was Furlong.  Amongst William and Alice's children was Alice, the youngest, born and christened 12th Oct 1848, godparents Godparents - Nicholas Hayes and Mary Petit.

She obviously married "somebody" Walsh but his name is not known, however, family stories say that their son went to be a sheep farmer in the Falkland Islands.

This is my total knowledge of the Walshes but since the name Furlong has been mentioned in this thread I thought this little bit might help.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Liz P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin W

Nice to hear from you.   I know my cousin Tony has been communicating with you.   His mother --- is my mothers sister.    I remember my mum telling me that she met one of your family when she was home on holiday one time.    I have one son (---) and two daughters --- .     My daughters find it facinating that we have relations in South Africa - that we have never met.    Cant wait to be able to send photo's etc.,

Its great to think using this media that we can chat to relations we have never met.

Well keep talking

Regards

Liz

Moderator Comment: RootsChat policy prohibits publishing details of living people. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, email addresses, etc.

Offline Liz P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Plover

Great to hear from you.   Where are you based are you one of the Walsh's in Kilmore?

Sorry about the reunion, it was organised by the cousins in the UK and all done on facebook it ended up no-one knew what was happening.      anyway it was a test run, and hopefully we are going to organise a big Walsh reunion in the future for everyone.

that will take some organising ha ha someone said we would need to do it on Carne beach as its the only place we would all fit ha ha.

Anyway great to hear from you and let me know what Walsh's you are.

Regards

Liz

Offline Plover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
Great to hear from you. Yes, I am from Kilmore Quay. My mother was Mary Walsh (known to all as "Dolly"), daughter of Capt Pat, g/daughter of Capt Lanigan. My cousin Billy lives in the home place in the Quay. I now live up the road in west Wicklow. I think Ballyteige beach might be just big enough for a reunion of this family!
Will be in contact. Happy birthday to Katrina.

Plover