Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51403 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #90 on: Friday 13 March 15 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Still not given up on my Walsh connections.  I received the birth certificate for Thomas Walsh, born 1874 with parents John Walsh and Mary Furlong.  Had been told maybe granddad (John Joseph) was a late arrival in 1882.  Found a Thomas Walsh in the 1911 census, 38, same age as the birth certificate I have.  He lived in 4 Paradise Row with wife Mary and 3 daughters.  He is shown as a painter.  Does he belong to any other Walsh who uses this site. Also a James Walsh, age 52, in 9 Paradise Row married to Mary Anne.  Grandad had brothers by that name.  Fingers crossed as always, Anne

Keep your hands off them, they are mine! :)
James Wash of Paradise Row is my great-grandfather, born 1855 in Kilrane parish, died in Wexford in 1944. His parents were Martin Walsh and Catherine Cooper, while Mary Anne was his second wife. By his first wife, Julia Brennan of Davidstown, Glynn, he had one son and 6 daughters. His daughter, Mary (ca 1882-1960s)  married James Walsh, a younger brother of your grandfather. I have to say that your James was a rogue, who deserted his wife and three young children. Mary had to raise the children on her own in Liverpool. The Thomas Walsh of Paradise Row is another, more distant relative of mine, a son of another Martin Walsh and Dora Donnolly.  Hope this clears things up.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 23 March 15 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Wexflyer I know a little more of my Walsh family.  He came across Francis Walsh in RNR records and I sent for record.  his father John Walsh is nearest relative but instead of giving address it says c/o J J Stafford, Stonebridge, Wexford.  Could that mean John sailed for the Staffords.  Also he found death of William Walsh 1st Q 1905 but I cannot get certificate from Roscommon without DOD and address.  Any suggestions on other ways to see record.  The brick wall seems a lot smaller now.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 23 March 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Also he found death of William Walsh 1st Q 1905 but I cannot get certificate from Roscommon without DOD and address.  Any suggestions on other ways to see record.  The brick wall seems a lot smaller now.  Anne

Are you going by the online form
https://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Death_Application_Form-English.doc
If so, these forms are designed for more recent Certs but if you put the name, district, quarter, vol and page on the form and post or fax to Roscommon they will find it for you.
Photocopy costs €4, include your email to speed it up.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=599538.0

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 23 March 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
his father John Walsh is nearest relative but instead of giving address it says c/o J J Stafford, Stonebridge, Wexford.  Could that mean John sailed for the Staffords?

Yes, that is how I would read it.
When you are next in Wexford you should have a look at the the three volume series of books on the "Maritime History of Co. Wexford" (title from memory, so may be a bit off).
Also, I agree with "Sinann" on how to order the cert. from the GRO.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies.  I have volume 1 & 2 of John Powers books.  I will make that my reading for tonight.  Every time I came across the name John Walsh, I put in a marker but until now I didn't know who he sailed for.  If anyone about to give up on their tree reads this, take heart as I have been searching for Walsh info for several years now.  Will try the Rosscomon office for certificate.  Thanks again.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 21:39 BST (UK) »
Back again.  I sent off for death certificate for William but address given is The Swan in the Faythe.  Last address I had for family was 1 Castlehill Street in the 1901 census.  Can't find John or Mary in the 1911 so no idea what happened between 01 and 11.  I also requested marriage cert for John Walsh and Mary Furlong in 1877 which tied in with info Wexflyer gave me but although both names appeared in list they did not marry each other.  The search goes on.  I was booked to visit Wexford with my daughter last month but she took ill day before we were due to go so will have to wait till we can get over there again.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 12 May 16 00:23 BST (UK) »
Back again.  I sent off for death certificate for William but address given is The Swan in the Faythe.  Last address I had for family was 1 Castlehill Street in the 1901 census.  Can't find John or Mary in the 1911 so no idea what happened between 01 and 11.  I also requested marriage cert for John Walsh and Mary Furlong in 1877 which tied in with info Wexflyer gave me but although both names appeared in list they did not marry each other.  The search goes on.  I was booked to visit Wexford with my daughter last month but she took ill day before we were due to go so will have to wait till we can get over there again.  Anne

Hi Anne,
I believe The Swan is an unofficial area, not a formal address. It gets its name from an ornamental cast iron swan - a fountain? - located at the north end of The Faythe (was still there last time I visited a few years ago). The south end of Castlehill St. connects directly to where the Swan is located. So, I think the two addresses are entirely consistent with each other - saying you were living in the area of the Swan would easily include part of Castlehill St.
Another important point is that the numbering on the 1901 and 1911 census returns is NOT a street address. It is just a sequence number. So, "1 Castlehill St" means the first return collected or numbered by the enumerator, not that they lived in address "1 Castlehill St.

Finally, two key things on the 1905 death cert for William Walsh
- What was his profession?
- Who was the informant? - often a relative.
All the best

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 12 May 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
I downloaded the death certificate for William but cannot find it now.  I must not have saved it and download time has run out.  I thought when I saw the swan, it was the guest house which I had stayed in on a visit some time ago.  If I remember wrightly he was a sailor and I think he died of TB.  I don't think name of person present was what I expected so rather foolishly I assumed it was wrong William.  I did find on Franks RNR record that next of kin in 1910 was his father but no address apart from JJ Stafford so when I finally get over there again I will check it out at office on quayside.  Ah well.
Wexford Town..

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 12 May 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
I thought when I saw the swan, it was the guest house which I had stayed in on a visit some time ago....

Hi Anne,
 I believe that guest house (and pub?) gets its name from being located at the Swan. Another way to think of it is that the Swan is a local landmark, which was (is?) used as a location reference.

As regards William, what you are running into is of course a typical problem - that the information recorded on the death certificates is often simply not enough to make a conclusion with certainty. In this case, I think that this William is consistent with being "yours", but again, without being absolutely certain. The items in favour of this identification would be that his profession is correct (sailor), and age and location roughly match. And there is also an argument from omission - that if your William did not die around then, you might have known more of him and he would turn up in other records.
 All the best