Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51488 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer did you abbreviate his name Walsh Bart*

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edward.  I just tried the sight again for John Walsh but couldn't find a record of him as mate or master.  He did live in king street when grandad was born.  Help please and hope invite got through.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer did you abbreviate his name Walsh Bart*

I did. He was only a sailor for a short time, before joining the British Army who promptly shipped him off to South Africa, and proceeded to blow him up there (themselves) in December 1900. So my mother, who is still alive TG, has an uncle who died in the South African war while Victoria was still on the throne, in the last days of the 19th century.....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 05 January 17 03:01 GMT (UK) »
I sent off for death certificate for William but address given is The Swan in the Faythe.  Last address I had for family was 1 Castlehill Street in the 1901 census.  Anne

Hi Anne,
I believe The Swan is an unofficial area, not a formal address. It gets its name from an ornamental cast iron swan - a fountain? - located at the north end of The Faythe (was still there last time I visited a few years ago). The south end of Castlehill St. connects directly to where the Swan is located. So, I think the two addresses are entirely consistent with each other - saying you were living in the area of the Swan would easily include part of Castlehill St.

I was back in the "Holy Land" (Wexford) for a flying visit  on a rather grey afternoon on the 9th of December. Attached is the first of a few photos showing "The Swan" and area. It is indeed a fountain. Inscription says it was erected by the Co. Wexford committee of the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, in 1888.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 05 January 17 03:07 GMT (UK) »
A second photo, showing what I believe is Castle Hill St. connecting to the south-east corner of the Faythe.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 05 January 17 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Detail view of the house at the corner of the Faythe and Castle Hill st. Note the two street nameplates.
- The lower says "The Faythe",
- The upper says "Swan View".
This shows that use of the Swan as an address has some official existence.
Also note the post office box built into the side of the house.
Finally, one of the ancient cemeteries of Wexford town is directly adjacent to and behind this house, down the street on the left (not visible in this photo).

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 05 January 17 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edward.  I just tried the sight again for John Walsh but couldn't find a record of him as mate or master.  He did live in king street when grandad was born.  Help please and hope invite got through.  Anne

Hi Anne,
  Here is a link for John Walsh of King St. Wexford, as master of the "Alice Eleanor" in 1893 (first of three pages)
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cl/007604531_00334.pdf
Here is a link for John Walsh of Wexford as mate on the "Charles Walker" in 1891 (second of two pages)
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cl/007604390_00585.pdf
These simply happened to be the first two links I clicked on using the crew search link provided by dathai, filled out with the following info.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 26 August 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Edward, sorry for not replying sooner.  I thought I had till I checked this again.  I think you are right about John being master oh Alice Elenor. Nice to get one step further up the ladder.  I have also learnt that one of grandads sisters, Bridget, married Thomas Murphy so I am busy tracking them down.  Each time I am about to give up on my Walsh family, I get a little gem to spark the interest again. 
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline martina boylan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 10 September 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
William (Bill) Peare  married Alice Hore, a sister of my grandmother's Margaret Hore. They were from Oylegate.