Author Topic: Aghalurcher Graveyard Burial Register  (Read 30736 times)

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aghalurcher Graveyard Burial Register
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been back to Fermanagh, took more pictures of this cemetery along with others around the Galloon area. They have been passed to Fermanagh Gold & IGP Archives website to publish. It is also hoped that some transcriptions will be available.

IGP Archives have already got the Aghalurcher Headstones up with many transcribed, see here: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/photos/tombstones/markers.htm

I am sure many will find this of use if researching Galloon area or Southern Fermanagh.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Rusty. I visited Aghalurcher cemetery this past May. Wonderfully ancient and in a beautiful setting. I know my direct ancestors, Archibald and Elizabeth Stutt, are buried there (1848 and 1867) but I don't know where.  Do you know if there is a plot map for the cemetery?

Merv
Scott-Traquair, Catslacknowe, Ashkirk, Sco
Stutt-Co Fermanagh and Tyrone, Ulster, NI
Newton-North Plantagenet(CAN), Ireland
Grieve-Roberton, Lilliesleaf Sco
Hodgins-Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary, Ire
Elliot-Canonbie, Bogra, Holmhead, Annan, Sco and Egremont Engl
Little-Canonbie Sco,  Kingsbridgeford, Thirlwall, Wallasey Eng
McAlister-Louth Co., Queen's Co. Ire
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Merv,

Some time ago I attempted to locate a source for a possible Graveyard Plot or at least some kind of Burial list. I received an email back from the department in Fermanagh Council that deals with Cemetery's. I cannot locate the email now, but the basic information was that they did hold as paper copies some information for various graveyards (but they would not specify which). These documents can be seen only if you call to view them at their offices. No copies can be made and you must be able to prove relationship to those you seek.

Note: Many of the flat Slab tombstones were flipped over to preserve the inscriptions some years ago. The grass cutting was found to be damaging some. One of my own family slabs, location known to family, was turned over in this manner. So if there is a stone there for Archibald & Elizabeth It is possible that it too was flipped.

I also attempted to locate or identify any old grave diggers from the past, to see if I could source possible records, no success there either.

I am glad you were able to visit though, given that thousands of people have probably been interred there in the history of the graveyard ,it is so peacefull and not in the least bit spooky. Just knowing some of my family are there is enough for me, even if some of the graves are unmarked.

Should you follow up with the Council, I would be interested in any developments, or progress.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 July 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply and the info Rusty. Not wanting to sound morbid but I found it to be a beautiful setting made even more special knowing my direct ancestors were laid to rest there... and therefore I have a direct connection to the place which is wonderful.
Scott-Traquair, Catslacknowe, Ashkirk, Sco
Stutt-Co Fermanagh and Tyrone, Ulster, NI
Newton-North Plantagenet(CAN), Ireland
Grieve-Roberton, Lilliesleaf Sco
Hodgins-Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary, Ire
Elliot-Canonbie, Bogra, Holmhead, Annan, Sco and Egremont Engl
Little-Canonbie Sco,  Kingsbridgeford, Thirlwall, Wallasey Eng
McAlister-Louth Co., Queen's Co. Ire
Smith-Whitehaven Eng