Author Topic: Aghalurcher Graveyard Burial Register  (Read 30633 times)

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aghalurcher Graveyard Burial Register
« on: Wednesday 15 September 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Anyone know if there is a "Aghalurcher Graveyard Burial Register" available to view and where it can be found. I have a full listing of the headstone inscriptions already. What I seek is the register recording ALL burials including those without headstones.

Appreciate any pointers, I'm visiting the area next year and I suspect I have many of my ancestors from this area buried here, it would be nice to get confirmation. I already have the ones recorded on headstones.

Thanks

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aghalurcher Graveyard Burial Register
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
It is highly unlikely that there are full burial records for Aghalurcher.  This site is a very old graveyard and is used by both Roman Catholic and Protestants.  Family lines tend to be buried there, but would be members of other churches in the area.  I believed it is council run.

I dont know if you know where Aghalurcher is, but its kinda hard to find!  Blink and you would miss it!  Here's a link on Google Street View

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0agr/

And the GPS is 54.2302333333,-7.44056111111

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
KDDA,

Thanks for the heads up, however I have already found it on streetview, I know for sure I do have relatives buried there, and I plan to visit next year. As I have said, I already have the headstone inscription listings and seek info on persons that may be buried there without a headstone or memorial. I have been told that records "may" exist for some periods and could be under control of Sallaghy Church, This too is on my "locations to visit" along with Newtown Butler C of I Church.

My family all came from the Derryad & Dernish Is area of the former Galloon Parish (Drummully before that), Derryad is about 2.5 miles (as the crow flies) South West of the Old Ahalurcher Graveyard.

If you are a local of that part of Fermanagh, then I welcome all and any local knowledge you may have.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm a local, but still much to learn!

Just ask, if I don't know, Ill try my best to find out!

I think our crows are all drunk, they never fly in a straight line!  Or maybe the people building the roads couldn't keep up with the crows!

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
KDDA,

Ok if you do a couple of dogs legs and stagger the rest drunk the distance would be over the distance the crow would cover unless he had a pull at the bottle too.

ON Roads in the area, looking at a couple of paragraphs in Dermot Maguire's book "Drumlone at the Crossroads".

I quote:
"But for most people in these townlands travel meant walking it. They had been doing that since the mists of time. In the 19th century they often walked the coffin from these townlands to Aghalurcher or Donagh graveyards."

and:

"Many of us of a certain age will remember going to school on the old untarred roads with their sharp loose chippings and speckled with pot holes. Sometimes in the summer time, we tried to prove our hardiness by going to school in our bare feet over such roads. Then in 1954 the smooth tar arrived in Derrylea & other townlands."

The book is a good read for anyone researching the Galloon area, it also has appendices with a lot of BMD info for people from that area.

Rusty

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 11 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Good luck.... here it is recently cleared!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark,

I've seem this pic before, hence my request about a burial register (which I've been told may be held at Sallaghy church). I already have the transcribed info from the known headstones there. I still plan to visit, just for a look, but don't hold any illusions I'll find much there.

Rusty

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
One thing worth trying is finding out if there is a particular local undertaker who would normally be used and see if their records cover the plots.

I tried this in Monaghan and found a family firm that had carried out the funerals for well over 100 years, they had their own "map" with the plots marked out and I was able to get the Surnames for each plot regardless of g/stones. They have to know which grave to open.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark,

I've seem this pic before, hence my request about a burial register (which I've been told may be held at Sallaghy church). I already have the transcribed info from the known headstones there. I still plan to visit, just for a look, but don't hold any illusions I'll find much there.

Rusty

Are you sure the record is in Sallaghy?  Do you have any more info, ie date, names etc?