Author Topic: Help getting army records (royal scots greys)  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Becky84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help getting army records (royal scots greys)
« on: Wednesday 15 September 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I wanted to find the records of my great grandmas brother william craig  he served in the royal scots greys (he didnt die in the war). Could someone help me find the army records and send me them if possible pleease?

William craig
born: c1894 died: 1930s
Berwick upon Tweed
Parents: William craig and ann cockburn

Also his brother james, someone found this but i dont have an ancestry account so i cant get the records off

James Craig c1885 berwick upon tweed
212401 549th Field Coy RE
Berwick address and his NOK also lived Berwick(Dad William,mum Ann Walkergate Berwick)
Occupation Plumber

Thanks
Becky
Moyses (Ellis), Cunningham, craig, cockburn, tuttle, carr, bush, green, longhorn, sewell, Rimmer, Warkup, quantrill, oliver, atkinson (weel/Hull), Milner, Wilson....

Offline jjmcharg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help getting army records (royal scots greys)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some information also. My Great Grandfather served with the Royal Scots Greys in the Boer War and WW1 - apparently as a Piper and eventually Pipe Major. During WW2 he was an Air Raid Warden in Glasgow. His name was John Campbell. He passed on in 1970. Married to Annie (Laurie) - daughter Carrie. He had a number of medals, but they were donated to the Glasgow History museum in 1970 and I can't find any information on them. I need to find some information - I don't want this man's service to be forgotten. I believe he might have been stationed in Ireland at one point prior to 1900. I have no living family members to assist me, and no paperwork, so I'm working with very few resources. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Paternal: McHarg, Stevenson, Warnock, Chalmers, Penman, Bremner, Dunlop, Peden, McGuiness, Hall
Maternal: McGraw, Campbell, Ocelle, Edson, Shades, Murphy

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some information also. My Great Grandfather served with the Royal Scots Greys in the Boer War and WW1 - apparently as a Piper and eventually Pipe Major. During WW2 he was an Air Raid Warden in Glasgow. His name was John Campbell......

Are you certain you mean Royal Scots Greys? No pipers in a cavalry regiment!  :)
Royal Scots maybe?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline jjmcharg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information... I assumed The Greys - basing my  research on what I remember my mother telling me. Your reply explains why I'm having such a difficult time finding out anything about my Gr. Grandfather. It's a bit frustrating. I'll switch to the Royal Scots. Thank you so much for the tip.
Paternal: McHarg, Stevenson, Warnock, Chalmers, Penman, Bremner, Dunlop, Peden, McGuiness, Hall

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
He had a number of medals, but they were donated to the Glasgow History museum in 1970 and I can't find any information on them. I need to find some information - I don't want this man's service to be forgotten.

Rather than guessing, you're best bet is to contact Glasgow History Museum. Visit in person, phone, email, whatever.
You need the details off those medals - name, rank, number, regiment
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline jjmcharg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Good plan - however, I'm in Canada, and I've had no luck finding the Glasgow History Museum to get contact info. In addition, I have none of my Gr. Grandfather's papers left... his daughter (my Grandmother) "burned all that old rubbish"...(her words). Sigh.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
do you know when and where john campbell was born?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jjmcharg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
To the best of my recollection, my Great Grandfather was born in Glasgow, 1880. I am waiting for some info from my uncle (his grandson) - which may help fill in some blanks.

Offline ocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 November 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
williams uniform is scots greys - the eagle badges on the collar are the greys waterloo badge. my grandfather was in the greys. the records are kept in edinburgh castle. I went and looked at them and found his grandads record there. hope this helps  richard