Author Topic: Help getting army records (royal scots greys)  (Read 11870 times)

Offline Sas83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help getting army records (royal scots greys)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 February 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, wondering if anyone can help - I too am trying to trace records from a family member who I believe served in the Royal Scots Greys.

My Grandfather's name was George Thomas Faulkner (son of George Ernest Faulkner) I know that he served in India in 1927 and was led to believe he was Sgt Major at some point during his career.  I have his jacket badges from his time served in the Royal Scots Greys, but have been unable to trace his service record number to allow me to find out any more information on his service.

He was born in Chelsea, London on 28th September 1906.

He passed in 1981 (before I was born) and my grandmother passed 10 years ago and I have no sources now of information, he was married previously and after my grandmothers death his next of kin returned to children from his first marriage so I'm coming to a lot of dead ends with regards to finding any information!  We contacted regarding medals (as we know he didn't bother to collect any) - but as we are not next of kin we are unable to go any further down this root.

What I'm really interested in his his service record.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!  It's all getting a bit frustrating when I have hundreds of photos of him in his uniform but I can't get any closer!

Thanks

Offline ocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:26 GMT (UK) »
the scots greys records are kept in edinburgh castle. I found my grandfather record there.

richard pemberton

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Post 1923 records are still with MOD info above tells you how to get them

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Becky84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 February 11 11:41 GMT (UK) »

Becky
Moyses (Ellis), Cunningham, craig, cockburn, tuttle, carr, bush, green, longhorn, sewell, Rimmer, Warkup, quantrill, oliver, atkinson (weel/Hull), Milner, Wilson....

Offline Sas83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 February 11 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, the issue with requesting the service records from the mod is that I believe my grandfather may have not been quite honest about his date of birth! And I do not have the service number.  I have contacted the regiment museum to see if they can help, other than that looks like I may be at a dead end :(

Offline Reptile

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 August 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Cavalry regiments do not traditionally have pipe bands. However, The Royal Scots Greys established an unofficial ‘pipe band’ while serving in India in the 1920s. It was not until 1946, upon the disbandment of 52nd Lowland Division, that a ‘pipe band’ again became part of the Greys, when eight pipers and six drummers of the Lothians and Border Horse under Pipe Major Gray were posted to the regiment.

In 1947 the pipe band was officially recognised by the War Office and King George VI, colonel-in-chief, sanctioned the wearing of the Dress Royal Stewart tartan by the Greys’ pipers. Today, every member of the Pipes and Drums is also a fully operational soldier. From The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Museum website, https://www.scotsdgmuseum.com/regimental-music/

8)

Offline kirstykirsty1982

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 March 22 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe George Thomas Faulkner to be my great grandfather from his first marriage. I have very little information other than a marriage certificate and a letter to his daughter which he enclosed a photograph which may be a relation of yours?
Would be interested in swapping information.