Author Topic: Sarah Clayton/Thomas Lingard  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sarah Clayton/Thomas Lingard
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 15:29 BST (UK) »
There are so many Thomas Lingards born in Caistor!  Sarah must have died by the 1871 census as I can find no record of her and can't really establish which Thomas was her husband.

I have the  birth cert of their son Thomas born in Caistor in 1860 - father Thomas and mother Sarah Clayton.  I have Thomas jnrs marriage cert in 1880 and this shows father to be Thomas so I'm on the right track.  Now I'm trying to establish Thomas Senior and Sarah - can anyone find an entry in 1861/51 or 41 for Thomas and Sarah Lingard or Sarah Clayton before marriage for me?

Many thanks

Shonagh

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Clayton/Thomas Lingard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 16:21 BST (UK) »
I found this lot in 1861 in Caistor (2392/4)

High Street
Thomas Lingard 51 AgLab, Stallingbro'
Sarah 47 ??
William 13 AgLab
George 10 Scholar
Charles 8 Scholar
Eliza 6 Scholar
Thomas (son) 5 Scholar
Thomas (g-son) 3 Scholar
Elizabeth 6m
All kids born Caistor.

The same gang in 1851 2114/124
High St, Caistor
Thomas 41 AgLab, Stallingboro
Sarah 37 North Kelsey
John 12 Nettleton
Sarah 14 Nettleton
Elizabeth 10 Scholar, Nettleton
James 9 Scholar, Nettleton
Sophia 7 Scholar, Caistor
William 4 Caistor
George 1 Caistor

I realise that there is no Thomas of the right age in 1861  :(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 05 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I found Thomas Lingard snr with Thomas son and thomas grandson in the 1871 census, also ELizabeth dtr.  The grandson I think was Thomas Bristow Lingard and I thought that the Thomas, son might be my Thomas.  Since you have found a Sarah Lingard on the early censuses it might be correct except not one entry has Thomas at the right age.  The 1871 census shows both the young Thomases to be age 15 and I did find a death for a Thomas Lingard born Caistor which I though could be him as the age ties in.

I like doing the history but it can be so frustrating.    I've not been able to find a marriage for Thomas and Sarah either - I found a Susanna Clayton marrying a Thomas Lingard though.   

I'll keep at it.

Thanks again

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 05 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Shonah

Is there any address given for Thomas junior on his 1880 marriage certificate?  Father's occupation?  Are the names of the witnesses any help?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 April 05 22:37 BST (UK) »
Residence at time of marriage in 1880 was stated as Redbourne (no full address for Thomas or his bride).

Witnesses were William Beverley - have no idea who that is - and Elizabeth Hather.  Hather is the brides maiden name.

They were married in the Parish Church, Redbourne.  There is not a Thomas Lingard Jnr of the correct age in the censuses.   I've tried Lidgard, Lengard, Longard etc. 

Although Thomas and Annie were married in Redbourne she was born in Kirton and was living in Kirton in 1871.  Thomas was born in Caistor, Glanford Brigg.  Don't know why they would marry in Redbourne.

The marriage cert shows Thomas' age as 22 so that would have him born 1858.  The birth cert is 1860.  The census records 1881 and later have him born between 1858 and 1860 depending on which one you look at!  Wife's age is consistent.

Thanks

Shonagh

Offline LESLIEBL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Clayton/Thomas Lingard
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shonagh

I believe that Thomas was born in 1809 and married Sarah Clayton on 10/12/34 in North Kelsey.
(See Rame family tree0

Thomas Lingard was my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather, I would love to get details of his father and Grandfather.

Leslie B Lingard