Author Topic: Thomas Kennedy 1831 census  (Read 5814 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kennedy 1831 census
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 September 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Culnaman is in Desertoghill Parish and there are numerous spellings such as Coolyman, Cooleneman as well as several parts of the townland with unofficial names such as Carragh/Nacarragh, Derrymore, etc. There are several suggested meanings of the name such as 'corner of the women' or 'corner of the Peaks.'
Unsurprisingly for the area it was home to many, many Kennedys.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas kennedy born 27th June 1798 in first garvagh presbetyrian.

No parents recorded.

I have managed to match through DNA with one or two Canadians who have these people in their tree . I have messaged them and they have said that it was not them that did the tree , I was wondering anyone on here knows more about these specific kennedys.

My mother is a Kennedy. I have traced my kennedys back to bovevagh parish county Derry - Samuel Kennedy born 1870 to a John Kennedy. There was 2 or 3 kennedys in bovevagh on the 1851 census.

I believe that my bovevagh kennedys are something to these kennedys especially since I have managed to match through DNA with some Canadian kennedys with this specific tree!!

Only thing is , is that my kennedys where church of Ireland.

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
By the way , there is a photo on one of the lady’s tree of the John Kennedy mentioned in the original post - died 1914 . My mum said she can see a resemblance in her own brothers!?

Also , on the birth record 1798 the Address for Thomas is given as cooleyman. Now , somebody has already explained the cooleyman townland above. Interesting , my mother said her grandfather kennedys nickname was “curleman Kennedy” because he had white Curley hair but she was young and can’t remember much!  Maybe his nickname was cooleyman Kennedy 😂?!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
The record for Thomas Kennedy (27 June 1798) is a baptism from 1st Garvagh not a birth record- the date is date of baptism not date of birth.

Unless your DNA matches have traced their family accurately (and not just copied details from someone else's tree) then you really don't have a match with you Kennedys.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 August 18 00:50 BST (UK) »
wrong forum