Author Topic: How to find regiment and service number?  (Read 29872 times)

Offline kebholes

• RootsChat Extra
  • We will find em all
    • View Profile
Re: How to find regiment and service number?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks ADM i have sent a request to N/A for a quotation based on this info.. the auto response says i will know how much it will cost within 10 days! at least that will show if there is any info on the record.

My wife is Flying south later this morning and has the MOD forms filled out so will get nan to sign and she will post whilst there so hopefully by the late spring next year we can fill in his history.

Many thanks to the both of you for your help and best wishes

Mick
Bolger [England And Ireland]
O'Donoghue [London and Ireland]
May [England]
Eves [England]
Larkin [England and Ireland]
Chiverton [England]
Blackwell [England]
Keogh [Ireland]
Hanson [England]
Fitzgerald [Ireland]
French [England]
Murphy [Ireland]
Dixon [Ireland]

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 September 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick,
          not the cheapest way to get copies I am afraid. To be fair I think the demand exceeds the Staffs capacity to produce. Probably due to the last C.E.Os. Policies.

Recently a Lady I know of applied for a War Crimes File that was thought to contain information regarding a Family member. She had a reply saying further research was needed.

Why the message was sent is a mystery as his name was first mentioned on the fourth page and several times further into the File. Perhaps it was just a bad day.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline issykirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 June 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I also would like to find some information on the above. My father was born 1934 and married my mother in 1958. He was in the army for a short while before the marriage (may have been conscripted). I believe he was in Cyprus and was a guard at the Suez Canal. I don't know if he was in the Kings Own Scottish Borders or the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. I do remember as a child my family was invited to Edinburgh Castle but can't remember what for specifically other than it being something to do with the army. This and the attached photo is the only little bit of information I have. I'm hoping that someone may recognise the uniform and be able to advice me where to start looking myself.
Thanks
issy

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 June 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
The cap badge is not of either of the two regiments so best to discount those (his badge and the way he is wearing his cap suggests Coldstream Guards but that is just guesswork and not necessary to know).  His service papers will still be held by MOD, they will not be found on line.  Your best approach is to apply for his records,
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records.  You will need his death certificate but you don't need his service number, his full name and date of birth will suffice.  If mother is alive than she is the next of kin otherwise it is you so that will be no problem.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline issykirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 June 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello maxD
Thanks for the reply and the link, i'll give it a try now.
Thanks
issy