Author Topic: MANNINGHAM 1935 - Mother & Baby Home,  (Read 8890 times)

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
MANNINGHAM 1935 - Mother & Baby Home,
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 18:42 BST (UK) »
My grandmother had her 1st child in 1935 at what i believe was a mother & baby home located at:

11 Belle Vue, Manningham, Bradford.

The address is now a garage business acc. to Royal Mail.

My grandmother obviously went to Manningham to give birth as her home address is listed elsewhere on the bc & she returned home after the birth.  The baby wasnt put up for adoption but raised by another family member.

Can anyone confirm that there was such a home in this area of Bradford in the 1930s & if so, do you have any further deatails.

Would there be any surviving records & where they maybe  today.

Kind regards  Sharren    :-*

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MANNINGHAM 1935 - Mother & Baby Home,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi sharren1837

I have taken your question to  Bradford Council, hope you don't mind.  They have since replied and they have forwarded the question on to Social Services who have been asked to get in touch with me direct.

Hope you don't mind?  Will post whenever they get in touch.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
hi wendy,

thankyou so much & no i dont mind, its very kind of you to take the time & trouble.  if you dont mind i shall pm with my email so you can contact me direct.

once again, many thanks, sharren   :-*
BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline roseground

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 05 10:31 BST (UK) »
Did you every resolve this question ? I have a relative who was a Matron at this address in 1891 and 1901 (obviously early than your interest) and it seemed then to be a Home for young women and girls.  I have been trying to find out more so if you have info I would be interested to hear.

Thanks

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 05 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Roseground,

i havent yet heard anything further from Wendy, although, i have to admit id completely forgotten about this posting, i think it was 1 of the 1st i posted on Rootschat.

i did have a look at the 1901 census & if i remember correctly there was a matron & numerous women listed, cant recall any babies but it was sometime ago so i could be mistaken, this would tally with your research. i dont know when the Home closed, but must have been after 1935.

Since i posted the original request, i have located further info regarding my grandmother & her eldest child both of whom are now deceased, although some of their descendants are still living, so im unable to post details here.

Wendy:

if you have heard anything further from  Bradford Social Services/Council can you PM me & i can provide names, dates etc if required.

Kind regards, Sharren

Offline JanMcK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
have just come across this. If you have any information at all on the mother and baby home at 11 Belle Vue I would appreciate you forwarding on. I have been researching my family history and found that my father was born at that address in 1927.

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharren
My wife adds that there was indeed a maternity unit for unmarried mothers in Manningham that one of her work mates unfortunately had to attend about 1965.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies,

Since my original query, i have discovered the following information which may help others.

11 Belle Vue, Manningham was alternatively known as a refuge, remand, rescue and/or maternity home for unmarried mothers and their children. Sponsored by the church of England and called  St Monica's  Home for Unmarried Mothers until approx. 1969.  St Monica's 'encouraged'  the mothers to baptise their babies at St Mary Magdalene Church, Wood Street, Manningham.  So further information maybe found via the church records.

Some of the women arrived at St Monica's 6 months prior to the birth, whilst some children remained until they were 3 years old.  At that time illegitimacy was looked upon as a sin and almost as a crime. It is probable that mums-to-be  were sent there as it was some distance from their home towns.

The poor expectant mothers were strictly supervised, hardly allowed to leave, their incoming and outgoing mail restricted, opened, read and then censored. They were allowed very few visitors and male visitors were completely forbidden. A nurse recalls her work experience at St. Monica's during the 1940s on page 5 of the following. (Early years in England)

http://www.rijo.homepage.t-online.de/pdf/en_de_ju_sky50132.pdf

If the child's father could be traced the authorities of St Monica's would apply for an affiliation order (Maintenance) against him and would conduct the mother's case on her behalf. Not sure whether these records exist.

The link below states that St. Monica's records are held at WYAS in Bradford Central library, (contact details – page 1) on page 8 it has St Monica's with the following details of records available:

BRADFORD, ST MONICA’S HOME FOR UNMARRIED MOTHERS

• Minutes
• Case books
• Report books
Ref: 13D80
1912 – 1970
1912 – 1970
1932 – 1970
1952 – 1970

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%207.pdf

I haven't searched any of these records myself so cannot comment on their accuracy etc

Regards Sharren

Offline Nadz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi reading this has given me alot of information regarding my nan. In 1959 my nan had this address details on my mum birth certificate
11 belle vue
Bradford 8
But where my mum was born was
217 Horton lane
Little Horton
 She had a girl in 1959 any information would be great