Author Topic: Ottaway family of Tenterden, Kent  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
Ottaway family of Tenterden, Kent
« on: Friday 17 September 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon
I am researching the family of Ann George b 1818 Tenterden whom I believe married Alfred Ottaway in 1839 Tenterden.

They had a lot of children but I am struggling on a couple of things:

1.  Daughter Charlotte b 1838 (illegitimate) - did she marry George Edward Amos and, if so, why cannot I find any census details for them?

2.  Daughter Mary Ann b 1842 I have her on the 1851 census but not on 1861 but possibly dying in 1862 in the Workhouse!  Would this be right?

3.  Grandson Amos Ottaway  b 1858 appears on census 1861 but who are his parents?

4.  Grandson James A b 1862 appears on the 1871 and 1881 census, who are his parents or, a possibility, have the transcribers of 1861 got Amos instead of James?

Any help would be appreciated.  With many thanks.  Loupy ;)
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ottaway family of Tenterden, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Loupy

Not many OTTAWAY baptisms in Tenterden, only one for an Amos - 4th Nov 1860, parents Alfred & Anne (notes:Tenterden, Labourer) This couple had three other children christened on that day, no ages given for any of the children.
Nothing for a James.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hhhhmmm - I wonder if Amos is the son of Alfred son of Ann George and Alfred Ottaway who was born 1840 Tenterden but so far I haven''t found a marriage for him.  If this is the case then why is Amos with his Grandmother in 1861?

The plot thickens?///!

In that case I wonder if James is another one of Alfred's?

Thanks for your help Betty

Loupy ;D
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
All those mentioned in 1. 2. 3. 4. .............. were they all born in Tenterden according to the census?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 September 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have got the census information, however, I still cannot place who James belongs to in the family.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Loupy

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, but do they all say that they were all born in Tenterden?

Charlotte Matilda OTTAWAY marries George Edward AMOS in Challock ............... they are in Challock for the 1881 census (she born Challock c1858) ............ so not yours RG11/952 folio 6 page 6 ???

When does Charlotte disappear from the family home ???

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nannamilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
This couple were my ancestors -
James was the illegitimate son of Ann Ottaway - born in the Workhouse.
Most of the family died very young from 'consumption'. The only survivors were my G.G. grandfather George Ottaway, Herbert Ottawa, James (grandson)- whom I lose after his grandmother died in 1897, also the youngest Agnes who married had a child and then died - Richard, Charlotte, was illegitimate, and she was the attendant at all of the deaths, and then she disappears from the records. And apart from birth records and the 1841 Census I have never seen any records for Alfred Jnr.
Alfred Snr died in 1860 from consumption.
You must remember that these people were illiterate, and very poor, and registering births etc, didn't mean a lot in their lives.
Alfred Ottaway was illegitimate himself - he was christened 3 times - his mother kept having him christened in each villages so that they could claim assistance from the Parish. Then when he married Ann George they got married twice - I have copies from both ceremonies - they got married in the Presbyrterian church - probably got told that marriage was illegal because they had been christened in the C of E, so they got married in St Mildred's 7 days later - this marriage is always taken as the official one.
A piece of info for your George research - Herbert Ottaway married Mary Ann George (His cousin).
George's grandson - George (my grandfather ) came out to Australia in 1911, and his cousin Thomas (son of Herbert) came out to Oz in 1912.
I hope this has helped you - if you want more , please contact me direct.
Judy

Offline nannamilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry,

I forgot  - with regard to Amos. He only appeared once - born in Woodchurch, and I have never found a birth record for him - don't forget that most of the family had died by the mid 1860's.

Judy

Offline nannamilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
Another piece of info - that christening date - 4th Nov 1860.

The 4 youngest were all christened that day. - Herbert, George, Richard and Agnes.
Amos was born in Woodchurch.

Judy