Author Topic: Offer: Derbyshire Parish records  (Read 56477 times)

Offline kafdxb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Offer: Derbyshire Parish records
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Derek!

Thank you so much for looking for Ellen for me! I do appreciate it quite a bit. I am currently in the process of trying to find someone to help me locate Ellen and Wilhelm's marriage certificate in Manchester. I do know the church at which they were married and the date, but have had no luck with the parish record for 1898 being online so far. Nevertheless, given how quickly after their marriage Ellen died, I am very curious as to what happened!

I have looked through the censuses that you have mentioned and I do agree that the Ellen who appears as a servant in Devon seems most likely. I must confess that much of my interest in her situation is in fact due to her husband Wilhelm. To provide a brief background: presently I am an archaeology student in Canada, and am working on research into the personal histories of German civilians who were placed in Internment Camps under the War Measures Act during WWI. Wilhelm was unfortunately interned due to his German origins in May 1915, and died in May 1918 in a camp in British Columbia. I have located him in the 1911 census in Sheffield, living with his second (as far as I know...) wife, Stella Lizzie Cooper, and her daughter, Adela. They were married only a few days after the 1901 census in Stockport.

Again, thank you for your time and I appreciate the information. If you do happen to come across anything else about Ellen in the future that you can pass along, I would be very grateful!

Best regards,

Erin
Fulton - Scotland
Lidster - Scotland,  England
Graham - Scotland
Lynch - Scotland
Murdoch - Scotland
Habgood - London, Canada, USA
Wolter - Prussia, England, Canada
Cooper - England, Argentina, Canada

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 11:30 GMT (UK) »
hello Sami........yes.there does appear to be some problem with MARY ANN BLOWER..who looks to have been born 1846 in NORTHWICH Cheshire.........the marriage certificate entries i can confirm only insofar as they are so published. but the northwich birth is OND..so she would not have been 18 on marriage in 1864.......another possibility seems to be Wolverhampton
But the census entries are a puzzle........there are TWO William Stones married to Mary Ann.....but the one who looks favourite was married in 1850 to MARY ANN GELL.this family being aroun in Belper at the appropriate time......
One way in might be if you are aware of any children of the Marriage for which you have the certificate..becasue it would help to pin down the correct William Stone..other anomalies can be sorted out later...........for instance I should be able to find parents for Mary Ann Blower, knowing that the father was George Blower.
Both William Stones appear to have fathers called William...........

I'll get back to you.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 16:19 GMT (UK) »
...........for instance I should be able to find parents for Mary Ann Blower, knowing that the father was George Blower.

Hello Derek......Thank you for looking into this for me  :)

But before you get too far tracing William Stone.....I know that this is the correct marriage entry:

26 Dec 1864 - William Stone and Mary Ann Blower. They have 2 children (Samuel b. 1865 and Mary Ann b. 1868). William Stone dies in 1869 and Mary Ann Stone marries again in 1871.

01 Nov 1871 - Thomas Archer and Mary Ann Stone. They have 10 children with Samuel and Mary Ann Stone being part of the family. My direct ancestor is one of the Archer children not one of the Stone children.

My problem has always been that I've never been able to find Mary Ann's birth or parents based on the information given in that 1864 marriage to William Stone. So I wondered if the information on Mary Ann Blower's father (George) and her age (18) had been copied incorrectly from the original parish record.

I do think Mary Ann was born with a different surname (possibly Sedgwick) as I know most of the Mary Ann Blower registered births have not been for my Mary Ann.

It sounds like the information on the marriage certificate was copied correctly from the original parish register. So I'm back to thinking Mary Ann's fathers name - George - and her age - 18 - were fictitious. I was hoping that her father's name would have been Joseph rather than George.

Thank you again for taking the time to do some looking. Your help is much appreciated  :)

sami

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 19 November 16 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek,

I hope you're still very kindly offering look-ups! Could you please help me with some people - Peter Turner & Martha Swindells. They married in 1796 in Hope. I haven't seen the original so I'm not entirely sure what town they came from. From the 1841 census they both came from Derbyshire. Martha was born around 1774 and Peter Turner in around 1766 (according to their death records). Any help you can provide would be fantastic, I've been a bit stuck on these two for a little while!

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Peter Turner was NOT baptised at hope....but MARTHA SWINDELL was....baptised 30.03.1767..one of three daughters of John and Jane Swndell...Ellen was baptised 16.10.1761..and Jane 01.11.1759....the record is confusing but John Swindell appears to have married 16.04.1759 at Hope.

Peter and Martha lived in Chapel en le Frith..and were married at Hope 26.09.1796.

Their only appearance on the Census is, as you say, in 1841..and Peter died the following year..buried just over the road in Taxal Cheshire........
Peter was baptised n Chapel en le Frith 15.05.1768..son of Peter (from Tideswell)..which does not mean he wasn't born 1766..just means he may not have been baptised till 1768......Martha's birth date of 1774 appears not to exist anywhere.......and I suggest 1767 is probably right.
Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Thursday 24 November 16 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek:

You have helped me with a previous question - for which I thank you again  :)

I wonder if you can help with the following birth:

Tilly Nevill Nixon - birth registered 4rth qu 1860 - Derby Derbyshire.

I am curious about her because of the combination of names as it may relate to my family. But I can not locate her other than this birth registration. I can't find any census entries, a marriage or a death. The GRO birth reg does not show her mother's maiden name.

I'm wondering if it is possible for you to locate a baptism for her? If I could find out her mother's name at least it may give me a start.

Thank you in advance,

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thursday 24 November 16 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Peter Turner was NOT baptised at hope....but MARTHA SWINDELL was....baptised 30.03.1767..one of three daughters of John and Jane Swndell...Ellen was baptised 16.10.1761..and Jane 01.11.1759....the record is confusing but John Swindell appears to have married 16.04.1759 at Hope.

Peter and Martha lived in Chapel en le Frith..and were married at Hope 26.09.1796.

Their only appearance on the Census is, as you say, in 1841..and Peter died the following year..buried just over the road in Taxal Cheshire........
Peter was baptised n Chapel en le Frith 15.05.1768..son of Peter (from Tideswell)..which does not mean he wasn't born 1766..just means he may not have been baptised till 1768......Martha's birth date of 1774 appears not to exist anywhere.......and I suggest 1767 is probably right.
Derek.

Thank you so much! It probably is right. She may have lowered her age a bit, heh.

I see what you mean by confusing, since John married a Margaret. I looked for John and Jane & found a marriage in Macclesfield Forrest for John Swindell and Jane Ford in 1755 along with a child William... but his wife Jane dies in 1758 in Rainow.

There are some baptisms of children of a John & Jane Swindell in Wormhill (Anne in 1756 and Mary in 1763). They might be from my family?

EDIT: Found John Swindell marrying Jane Hodgkinson in Tideswell, John from Wormhill. I'd say they're the right family. Thank you once again for this stepping stone to work from :)
EDIT 2. According to a one name Swindell study I just found (fivenine.co.uk) that has registers of Tideswell, Martha died not long after she was born. Buried in Tideswell in April 1767 :-\

Thanks for the info on Peter as well! Nice to finally break down this brick wall :)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Friday 25 November 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Sami..I have searched high and low, as you have..including MATILDA..which of course is the full name of Tilly,,,several possible options, but nowhere in Derbyshire.
I suggest you get the Birth Certificate......don't get it through any websites such as Ancestry, which charge the earth..go to GRO..and it will cost you £9.25. Good luck
Derek

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Friday 25 November 16 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deryk
Do you happen to have records for Glossop Wesleyan?
My Wyatt great grandparents were married there and I am anticipating that other Wyatt events may be found there.

with thanks
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.