Author Topic: Home for Girls - unmarried mothers, Bedford  (Read 16554 times)

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Home for Girls - unmarried mothers, Bedford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 November 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this as I have been searching for my brother who was born in that home in 1966.
The address I have was Hill rise and the records were apparently sent to herts council. Unfortunately it seems that a lot of records never made it and have been lost forever. It has been suggested to me that some records have been destroyed by doo-gooders to protect the adoptees.
I have also contacted all the agencies that were around in that area or at least those offices in which records have been transferred.
I have come across a brick wall but will contact them again this week to see if they have managed to find anything.
Good luck in your search.

Hello
I know this was some time ago but we have a case here in Bedfordshire that has been widely advertised on social media and the local paper; of a lady trying to find her daughter Adelaine Shelly Peters who was born in Bedford Hospital on the 3rd September 1964. The State run unmarried mother's home that she says she was in was in Hurst Grove, Bedford. I traced back as far as 1947 when the Superintendent was a Miss Mumford and the address was given as 17 Park Road North (1 Hill Rise). In the 1963 Kelly's the address is listed under the name of Percy James Hyde, who I think  was mentioned in earlier posts.
I am anxious to find out as much as possible about the home as the local radio station are hoping to run a short piece on their morning program this Monday. So very short notice and I was only contacted yesterday.   

Offline daffybwar

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Home for Girls - unmarried mothers, Bedford
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 November 23 07:54 GMT (UK) »
i was born in 1948  adopted at 10 days ..told i was born in unmarried mothers home ...but seem to remember being told it wad Shakespeare Rd...??? Was there something like this in Shakespeare Rd ?