Author Topic: Donaldson's of Thornhill  (Read 13681 times)

Offline Henry1860

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson's of Thornhill
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 November 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there are any connections to my great-grandfather Henry Donaldson born 25/5/1860 in Thornhill? -
Henry's father was James Donaldson, Ploughman, and his mother was Janet Donaldson[nee McGregor].
James was the son of Robert Donaldson, Farm Servant, and Jane Donaldson [nee Campbell] and he died 17/12/1877 aged 75 in Thornhill.
Henry left working on the land to become a miner in Low Valleyfield, Fife - he had 8 children with Agnes [nee Reid from Culross] - he died 9/3/1922.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 December 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for that, that filled a gap with Robert Donaldson. Your Great-Grandfather Henry and my Great-Grandfather John were brothers. John died in 1938 aged 81. I knew about a connection in Fife, when I was a boy in the fifties my Dad took me to visit relations there. I think it was his uncle. Also you might be interested to know (if you don't already) Agnes Reid b1868 your g-Grandmother's Father was Robert Reid and Mother Ann Shearer.
all the best Stewart Donaldson.
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Henry1860

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 December 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stewart,
Henry is buried in Culross New Cemetery along with his son James [my Grandad] born 28 Sep 1889 at Orchard Farm, Alloa - he died 28/12/1947 in Knaresborough, Yorks whilst visiting his daughter Mary [Scotland Donaldson]. Although, acc to my father, Henry is actually buried in Culross Old West Kirk Cemetery? James was also a miner until badly injured.
James' wife was Mary Scotland Stupart [from Kincardine-on-Forth]. James had 2 sons as well as daughter Mary: George and Henry [known as Harry],[All are now deceased]. George was my dad [died 29/3/2002]. James had continued to live at West End, Low Valleyfield as did my dad until 1957 when we moved to High Valleyfield [his brother Harry already lived in High Valleyfield]. Uncle Harry used to play the accordion and played in a band when younger! Harry had 2 children - Moira who lives in Kincardine and John who lives in Dunfermline.
For info:
Henry's children were, in age old to young, Annie,Jess,James,Robert,Harry,Andrew,John,David[died age 4],Agnes and Jeanie [briefly met her in 1995 when she was 84].
It was quite difficult getting any info out of the older generations!

Offline Henry1860

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 December 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Stewart,
Further to my last post: I also got from my dad - the story about being connected to the McGregors and Rob Roy! And similar to yr story, my dad also remembered riding in an open-topped car to go and relatives in Thornhill - he also mentioned a story about a strong man, maybe a relative in Thornhill, being the only person capable of lifting a famous large boulder!
regards
James Donaldson

Offline Stewart Betty Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 January 16 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
My name is Stewart Donaldson and I live in Australia. I believe I am your cousin as my father Stewart Donaldson (same name as you and I ) was the brother of Dougie and John Donaldson. My grandmother was Isabella my grandfather was John and only had one arm. I have visited Nora at Thornhill.

I don't know if you are still interested as your post was in 2014 and only sent to me by my cousin Helen from Dollar in Scotland this morning.

I would like to talk to you more about our family so if you like you can email me at [Edit by Moderator as requested: email deleted]

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Regards : Stewart

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 January 16 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

I'm sure you are unaware of rootschat policy of no email addresses on the forum & it will be deleted.

You would be best to "modify" your post & remove it.

If you reply with a little more info. this will then allow you to PM (Personal Message) Stewart.

Good that the thread has connected so many descendants  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Stewart Betty Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
My name is Stewart Donaldson and I live in Australia. I believe I am your cousin as my father Stewart Donaldson (same name as you and I ) was the brother of Dougie and John Donaldson. My grandmother was Isabella my grandfather was John and only had one arm. I have visited Nora at Thornhill.

I don't know if you are still interested as your post was in 2014 and only sent to me by my cousin Helen from Dollar in Scotland this morning.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 February 16 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

I would like to talk to you more about our family so if you like you can email me at [Edit by Moderator as requested: email deleted]

Hi All
Just thought I'd bring everybody up to-date with this post, the last poster is indeed my cousin Stewart who lives in Australia, we are now in contact and catching up with each other after 60 years. Thanks to all who helped us, it really is appreciated.
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Henry1860

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
Really struggling with 'Scotland's People' to find any details of Henry's father James [married to Janet McGregor 22/11/1846, Janet was born Balquidder], I think I have mistakenly posted James's father as Robert [wife Jane or Jean Campbell]. Henry's brother John was born 17 July 1857 and became a farm servant in 1871 at Boquhapple Farm House, Henry was my great-grandfather and he was born 25 May 1860 in Thornhill.
As James was also father to James[born 1851'ish],Robert [b.1853'ish],Janet [b.28 July 1862], I am hoping someone out there knows more about this part of the Donaldson Family!