Author Topic: California marriage index 1946-1947  (Read 8223 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
California marriage index 1946-1947
« on: Sunday 19 September 10 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find a record of a marriage in California which occurred between 1940 and 1950

Is any "free" sites I can use, I have tried to Google for a site , however have had no luck

Cass
Sydney Aussie

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: California marriage index 1940-1950
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
I'm not aware of anything for that time frame.  This site gives some links for California in general - http://www.genealogybranches.com/california.html 

Do you know what part of California they were living in?  There are some California newspapers online & sometimes people put wedding announcements in the paper.  City directories, voter registration, or birth of children also might help to narrow down the time frame,

If both spouses are definitely deceased, you could give us the names & we can see what we can find.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: California marriage index 1946-1947
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 November 10 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been on the search and have found that both the bride and groom are deceased.

The bride was Edna Mary ROWE born in Australia in 1911, and her death is recorded on the US Social Security Death Index as 26 Jan 1999 in Woodland Yolo California.

The Groom was Willard W PETERSON born in the USA also in 1911 and his death is recorded as 25 Oct 2003 in Davis Yolo California. 

I have also found that Edna sailed from Sydney Australia aboard the Wanganella on 31 Oct 1946 and was allowed in to the USA under the Fiancee Act, from "google"  it appears that under the Fiancee Act you if you did not marry within 3 months of arrival in the USA  you would be deported.

So I am looking for a marriage between Edna and Willard in California some time late 1946 early 1947.  Can any body help

Cass

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 November 10 07:35 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't know, there are 9 Petersons buried in Calvary Catholic Cemetery in Sacramento.  Edna Mary and Willard W. are two of the Petersons.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

Photographs of their markers (if you don't already have them):
http://www.calarchives4u.com/cemphotos/sacramento/Calvary/Surnames-M-Z-1386/
According to this site, the cemetery is in Citrus Heights, which I believe, is a suburb of Sacramento.
------
Update:  according to one internet site, Citrus Heights is located several miles from Sacramento.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 November 10 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Edna's immigration record states that W.W. Peterson was living in San Leandro (which is in the San Francisco Bay Area).  They may have married in that area, rather than Yolo County.

The ship arrived at the port of Victoria and Vancouver, B.C. on November 22, 1946.
------------
Sorry, I can't find any reference to their marriage.
----------
Oscar W and Vilora D Peterson were living in San Leandro during the early 1940s (according to the California Voter Reg).  (At the same address as noted on Edna's immigration record.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 November 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

You are a Star, I never thought that I would be able to obtain photos of their graves,

Could I ask where you found the details of Edna's Immigration records, is there a site I can use

Cass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 November 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cass:

The immigration details are on one of the pay-sites.  Additional information from the record:
Canada to U.S. Border Crossing
Passengers sailing from Sydney, NSW via Auckland, NZ and Suva, Fiji on October 31, 1946 on board the S.S. M.V. "Manganella"
Edna Mary Rowe, age 35 years and 9 months, single, occupation Clerk, able to read and write English, nationality Australian, place of birth Australia, Kempsey, NSW
Immigration Visa, Passport Visa, or Reentry Permit number: PV 508 3 <2> Fiancee Act , issued in Sydney, September 20, 1946
Last permanent address:  Australia, Sydney
Data concerning verifications of landings, etc. (Government officials only): P+(or 2 or L) 471 3-2
Name of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came: Mrs. M. Rowe, 4 Waruda St., Kirrib?illi, Sydney, Aust.
Final destination was Calif - San Leandro, passge paid by fiance
Joining relative/friend: Fiance: W.W. Peterson, 681 Victoria Court, San Leandro
I think she was intending to stay 3 months
5'3", Olive complexion, brown hair and eyes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 November 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that if we could find information about the couple, that somewhere it might state when they were married.

I do not see Williard's obituary on this site:
http://cagenweb.com/yolo/yolobits/pb-pe.htm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 November 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
According to public records index:
Williard W Peterson, born 23 Nov 1911, was living in Carmichael, California in 1984.
He was living in Sacramento in 1993 and 1995.