Author Topic: Benjamin DANIELS Marriage Where ?  (Read 8182 times)

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Benjamin DANIELS Marriage Where ?
« on: Sunday 19 September 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
I am struggling to locate the marriage of Benjamin Daniels and Ann. Their first child was born in 1793 in Winston, Suffolk and the other seven were also born/baptised here but they were not married here as I have been unable to find their marriage in the registers. They didn't marry in Whitton either which is where Ann was born.

Benjamin died in 1811 and was buried in Winston, Ann died in 1853 and she was also buried in Winston.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Daniels Marriage Where ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Benjamin Daniels & Ann Worledge were my 5 x great grandparents. We know her surname from the Christening records of their children. However, I too have searched for their marriage for several years without success. If you ever find out, I would love to know!

I am descended from their eldest son, Benjamin Daniels who was born in Winston, Suffolk on 8 January 1793.

I also have had no joy in finding where Benjamin Daniels senior was born/christened.

Regards,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 September 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin

I am descended via their first daughter (Mary born 1796 - unable to find baptism record though).

I did find an entry in the Whitton parish registers for a Anne Wallage who was born in 1772, although the spelling is different I can't make my mind up if they are the right person and this Benjamin's wife as the 1851 census does shown Anne as being born in "Witton".
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 10 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I had not found the baptism of Ann Worledge, but like you have her as being born in Whitton from the 1851 census. Our research does seem to be similar as I have not found the baptism of your Mary Daniels either!

The children I have found are -
1. Benjamin Daniels, born 8 Jan 1793 in Winston, married Elizabeth Smith 10 Oct 1813 in Aldham.
2. Thomas Daniels, born 11 Nov 1795, Winston, married Hannah Butcher 21 Oct 1817 in Debenham.
3. Mary Daniels born c.1796, Winston, married William Luff 8 Nov 1819 in Debenham.
4. Anne Daniels born 2 May 1897 in Winston, married Osborn Abbott 26 Dec 1816 in Winston.
5. Susan Daniels born 29 Nov 1799 Winston. No marriage found.
6. Francis Daniels chr. 13 Jun 1803 in Debenham. Married Mary Welton 12 Sept 1824 in Framsden.
7. John Daniels born 14 Dec 1805 in Winston, buried Winston 17 Mar 1807.
8. William Daniels born 1 Mar 1810 in Winston. No marriage found.

I am happy to share details of the descendants of Benjamin Daniels Jnr & Elizabeth Smith if you are interested.

Best wishes,
Kevin Scott
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
I Kevin, I think it is best if I give a link to my website where you can find the Daniels.

www.alan137.co.uk/family

Mary does seem the odd one out with regards to her baptism but as your Benjamin and Anne (Abbott) were witness at her wedding it is prof that she fits in there.

I'll pass on your descendants if you don't mind otherwise I'll end up with people that are not really connected to me.
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the link. It thought it looked familiar and when I checked my email file I found that we had corresponded in March 2006. Four years on and we are still looking...!!
Kevin

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
After I posted above I thought the same as I remembered talking to someone a few years back about the Daniels ;D

I didn't release it was 4 years though....
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan,

I have finally found the marriage of Benjamin DANIELS & Ann WORLEDGE!!

The key was in the spelling WALLAGE from the christening of Ann in Whitton in 1772. After having six children christened in Whitton, Thomas & Jane Wallage moved to Thomas' home parish of Westerfield where they had four more children.

It was at St. Mary's, Westerfield, Suffolk on 23 July 1792 that the marriage of Benjamin & Ann took place. Both surnames are spelled differently.
Benjamin DANIELINS of this parish, Singleman (signed x)
Ann WOLLEGE of this parish, Spinster (signed x)
The witnesses were Ann Markham & Thomas Wollege
The banns were read on 8th, 15th, 22nd July under Benjamin DANILENS & Ann WOLLEGE.

I have also found the marriage of Ann's parents-
St. Clements Parish Church, Ipswich, Suffolk, 16 October 1761 by banns
Thomas Wallage of the parish of Westerfield in Suffolk, singleman.
Jane Parker of Dunham Bridge, an extraparochial place, Singlewoman
The witnesses were William Southgate & Thomas Southgate.
I also have the details of christenings (and some burials) of their children in Westerfield & Whitton if you need them.

Best wishes,
Kevin

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant stuff Kevin and I wasn't far off this either. As I have found some Wallage baptisms in Whitton but were unsure if they were the right ones despite the one for Ann adding up, I did even find that Westerfield link but wasn't clear in my own mind that everything added up. You have now proven that they are right.

As I said I found Ann Wallage baptism in Whitton in 1772 to Thomas and Jane and found five other siblings to the same parents. I haven't got the Westerfield baptisms and although they can probably be found on FamilySearch if you could send these to me as well as the other baptisms and burials you have I will be most grateful. In return I can offer burial look up on the second edition of the NBI should you ever need it.
Mattocks (Staffs)