Author Topic: The Meffan Institute  (Read 4672 times)

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Meffan Institute
« on: Monday 20 September 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone give me the history of the Meffan Institute in Forfar.  e.g. How it got its name.

I have Meffan's in my Family Tree.

Regards,
Weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline Johnoz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Meffan Institute
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 07:42 BST (UK) »
Weeman's wife; I've often wondered that also. My paternal grandmother was Margaret Meffan, 1876-1958 Dundee region. I have my Meffans going back to my 5th great grandfather, David Meffan b c1735 at Inverkeillor.

Any of that sound like your lot?

John Gourlay
Melbourne, Australia
SCT-Bissett, Black, Bowar, Cameron, Carstairs, Crighton, Dewar, Fleeming, Forbes, Gourlay, Graham, Hay, Henderson, Higs, Husband, Laurence, McIntosh, Meffan, Meiklejohn, Millar, Patterson, Petrie, Ramsay, Robertson, Sands, Sinclair, Smith, Steven, Thomson, Urquhart, Wishart.  ENG-Butler, Cooke, Coster, Edwards, Harris, Kent, Woodcock, Wyatt.

Offline Johnoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 07:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry WW. I should have looked up your details before I sent. We are already correspondents and 5th cousins, once removed. Long time since we talked.

This posting may bring some more Meffans out of the woodwork. Not many of us on the genealogy scene.

regards
John
SCT-Bissett, Black, Bowar, Cameron, Carstairs, Crighton, Dewar, Fleeming, Forbes, Gourlay, Graham, Hay, Henderson, Higs, Husband, Laurence, McIntosh, Meffan, Meiklejohn, Millar, Patterson, Petrie, Ramsay, Robertson, Sands, Sinclair, Smith, Steven, Thomson, Urquhart, Wishart.  ENG-Butler, Cooke, Coster, Edwards, Harris, Kent, Woodcock, Wyatt.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
Not related but saw your request.

From Wikipedia

"The Meffan Museum is in the heart of the town. It was built by a daughter of the Provost Meffan as a bequest in 1898. It is home of the Forfar story. "

Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
There is also this:

Patrick Meffan

Patrick Meffan was born in Kinnettles. His father, William Meffan, was a notary and had business premises in West High Street in Forfar. He was Provost of Forfar between 1817 and 1819 and again between 1823 and 1825. Patrick’s mother was Jane Low. He had a brother and four sisters. The family home was on New Road in Forfar, possibly Bellfield House (or Ravenswood as it is now known).

Patrick also became a legal document writer and was Provost of Forfar for the periods 1833-1835, 1842-44 and 1848-1850.

He gifted the font to Kinnettles Parish church in January of 1863, which is inscribed "The gift of Patrick Meffan to his native Parish Kinnettles 1st January 1863." He died on 11 August of that same year. He was outlived only by his sister Jane, who bequeathed a trust of about £6000 to build a museum and library "to promote the moral and intellectual improvement" of the community of Forfar.

www.kinnettles.org.uk/kist_chapter5.cfm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Nice one Monica!  So not a daughter but a sister who left the bequest which built the museum. 

Somebody better tell Wikipedia.  ;) ;D
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
I thought that too Fifer...and then I re-read that link! I think William, father to Patrick and 'daughter' Jane, was also Provost between 1817 and 1819 and again between 1823 and 1825. So Wikepedia correct, just too many Provosts in the family   ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Johnoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 07:25 BST (UK) »
Well done, Monica and Fifer, now we know.

I don't have anyone in my Meffans that was employed anywhere near the lofty heights of a provost.

John Gourlay

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Meffan Institute - COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you Fifer & Monica as John says not related but helps satisfy the curiousity.

Weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson