Author Topic: percy fitzpatrick bromfield  (Read 11291 times)

Offline pinklescat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
percy fitzpatrick bromfield
« on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My GG grandfather was Percy Fitzpatrick Bromfield and was christened in Coventry in St Michaels in 1822. According to the IGI his mother was Frances Bromfield and there was no father recorded. Percy emigrated to Australia in 1849 and worked as a surveyor. When he died in 1908, his death certificate stated that his father was also named Percy Fitzpatrick Bromfield whose occupation was Doctor, and his mother was Frances formerly Peach.

I'd just like to know who his parents were. I imagine to be a surveyor would entail some schooling and I can't seem to find any reference on the 1841 census and his birth is before registration

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Offline beak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: percy fitzpatrick bromfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
My GG grandfather was also called Percy Fitzpatrick Bromfield. He was born in 1821. He graduated from Trinity College, Dublin as a surveyor. He arrived in Port Jackson (Sydney, Australia) on the 13th of August, 1849  (via Adelaide and Port Phillip) as a passenger on the Madawaska, having left London and Plymouth on March 28th, 1849.

He moved to the Mansfield region in Victoria. He had a sister Henrietta Louise Bromfield born 1823. As I write I don't have direct access to the details of his mother but I believe your reference to Frances is correct. I have a bible given to her by her mother whose name I recall to have been Eliza. I have a letter from Percy Fitzpatrick (not to hand as I write) in which he signs off "I remain always your loving father, Percy Fitzpatrick". The letter describes his employment as a physician to a member of the Italian nobility.

I realise you posted this information over 2 years ago, however if you are still interested please let me know and I will endeavour to locate the letter and give you more specific details of my great grandfather's parents.

Offline pinklescat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is great news! Which of percy's children are you descended from if I may ask? I am the great grandaughter of Charles Morrison. I have contacted the Coventry Archives and they have confirmed that Percy is the illegitimate son of Frances Bromfield, a dressmaker. However there are also Thomas Lingard Bromfield and Devine Bromfield who are also the illegitimate sons of a Frances Bromfield, dressmaker. I note that his sister was born in Dublin but emigrated to Australia in (roughly 1880/90 - I don't have the details to hand). I am more than happy to share any information with you and hope to hear from you soon!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Just been looking in some old directories: Percy Fitzpatrick was a surgeon in Much Park St, Coventry between 1821 and 1830
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
There was a Percy Fitzpatrick, assistant surgeon, at the Battle of Waterloo with 51st Foot

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
A bit more detail on the army surgeon's career:

Percy Fitzpatrick

Hospital Mate, General Service, 23 August 1810
Assistant Surgeon, 51st Foot, 11 March 1813
Retired on half pay 25 December 1818
Half Pay commuted 23 March 1830

Peninsular War (1811-1814) and Waterloo medals

Offline beak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply and for the very helpful information from ShaunJ which indicates that Percy Fitzpatrick was not a Bromfield but the father of (at least) one of the illegitimate children of Frances Bromfield.
Percy Fitzpatrick Bromfield married Lucy Emily Cope.I understand that this was in Victoria. They had 8 children.2 died at an early age (a son and daughter).I do not have my records to hand as I write(I will try to look for them asap) so I can not give the full details of them but I have the details and will let you have them in time. Two of the children were:-
                    Percy William Bromfield
                    Walter Morrison Bromfield - he is my great grand father.He married Jessie McBride Cook.
They had a son and daughter.The son ,Walter Henry Cope Bromfield (my grandfather) born Victoria 1884  died Perth Western Australia (26?) February 1963 married May Hamilton Gray on 29th  September 1917 (she was born 1883 died 30 June 1970 -West Perth). They had one child, my father Donald Hamilton Bromfield born 23 March 1922 Mt Lawley WA Died 24 April 2004.
                     My father married Sylvia Nolan (born 9 Sept 1919 London married Adelaide Sth. Aust. 12 Dec 1946 died Perth 6Dec 2007). I am one of four children (3 male 1 female one male died at 2 days old).

Offline beak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
My mother made some mention in notes that PFB and his sister lived and were educated in Dublin by the Devines. This note does not give me any more details.My memory tells my that there was some money for the two of them in Dublin but I do not have details.Your mention of Devine Bromfield is new to me but it matches the note made by my mother. I have never heard of any mention of Devine Bromfield or Thomas Lingard Bromfield before.
You mention that you are the great grand daughter of Charles Morrison.The name Morrison has a very close conection with my family. Walter Morrison Bromfield moved from Victoria in or about 1897 as my grandfather WHCB was educated on the goldfields at Coolgardie in that year and after.In1903 or 1904 WMB built a house at Kelmscott where he had an orchard and it was called Morrison Grange.The property is no longer in the family but I have used some of the stained glass windows salvaged from the house in my house.
You mention"his sister was born in Dublin".Whose sister are you making reference too? More to come.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Christenings, Saint Michael, Coventry, Warwickshire;
THOMAS LINGARD Bromfield, 15 Aug 1818
PERCY FITZPATRICK Bromfield, 16 Sept 1822
DEVINE FITZPATRICK Bromfield, 07 May 1824 (Male)
Mother FRANCES Bromfield

Now did Thomas tell a "porky" at his Marriage with Percy Fitzpatrick?

Marriage;
16 July 1839, Holy Trinity, Coventry
Thomas Lingard BROMFIELD, Bachelor, Occp Watch Glider, abode Bishop St, Father JOHN Bromfield, Occp Weaver
Emma HEAP, Spinster, abode Bishop St, Father WILLIAM Heap, Occp Dyer
Witnesses, JAMES/MARY Bromfield
Notes, she signed x

Marriage FreeBMD;
Ambrose PEACH, Sept 1847, Warwick, 16 627
Frances BROMFIELD on same page

1851 under France TEACK, Mar, Dress Maker,  born c 1799 Coventry
1861 under FANNY Peach, 59 (1802) Boarder, Mar, Dress Maker, born Coventry
1871 FRANCES Peach, Mar, Dress Maker,  born c 1798 Coventry

Although down as Married Ambrose is not with her on any Census.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)