Author Topic: HARACH in Sokal  (Read 9379 times)

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
HARACH in Sokal
« on: Wednesday 22 September 10 04:30 BST (UK) »
We are looking for HARACH relatives form Sokal Ukraine (aka Galicia, sometimes Poland) in the 19th century. Does anyone know anything aboyt records in this area or is anyone searching for HARACHs?
thanks
HODGES, WALTERS, CURTIS, TREGOWETH, MARLOW, STEW, JONES (B'ham), JONES (Shrops), EDWARDS, FOWKES, PANTER, BUCKBY, GRINDON, HILL, HITCHCOCK, HARGRAVE, NASH, ARNOLD, LEVY, DOUGHTY, NOBLE

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HARACH in Sokal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can you please tell us a bit more about what you already know, e.g. forenames of family members?

Justin

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 10 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sarah....my Kabluckyj family were from Roghatyn in the same area/  Poland -Ukraine -Poland -Ukraine...it is very difficult...I have had a Professor from Kiev University helping me ...but essentially , I have to go there to confirm any records....can I ask what exactly are you researching ? just the family name in general or are you stuck on one particular family member ?.....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 10 07:00 BST (UK) »
44 records in total on this site but ony 2 from Poland /Ukraine
http://search.geneanet.org/result.php?name=HARACH&lastid=69525186&skip=8&blockused=20&bdd=g3_autres
although some of this site is pay per view you can join for free and see a limited amount of records and then e-mail the tree owner...good luck
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 10 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is for a friend so I'm not sure if there are more details but this is who he is looking for;

Nicolaus Harach born Feb 26 1885
> district Sokal    [Its in polish]   Palatinatus    Leopol     Decanatus
> Warez  also Parochia Warez
> wife # one Ksynia Mazane born 1892 married at Hafford Saskatchewan 1910 died 1922
>
> second wife also polish birth cert
> Theecla Sickierka born Sept 12 1902 distritict Podhajce regnum Galiicae
> Imperium  Austriae
> married May 1922 died March 13 1985 Hafford Sask  
>
> His father Theodore Harach  birth June 15 1850 died March 22 1933  born in
> Warez
> his wife Madalalina Mazurok
> a relative says  theodore has 12 brothers but have no records of this
> Theodore's father Stephan Harach
> wife Anna Suszak

Thank you for any help!
HODGES, WALTERS, CURTIS, TREGOWETH, MARLOW, STEW, JONES (B'ham), JONES (Shrops), EDWARDS, FOWKES, PANTER, BUCKBY, GRINDON, HILL, HITCHCOCK, HARGRAVE, NASH, ARNOLD, LEVY, DOUGHTY, NOBLE

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 10 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sarah...join this site for free, and go to the genealogy forum....I am Garstonite on there ...if you see my posts, you will see the contact for the Professor...if you need any help, I will have a little time on Monday to help...busy weekend....http://www.ukraine.com/forums/genealogy/
another one with info
http://www.halgal.com/

allan ;)

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 10 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you  :)

I will explore and maybe ask some questions then! Thanks again

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 10 07:32 BST (UK) »
Just posted this for you Sarah...when you become a member, just post on this thread and give for all the details that you have.....http://www.ukraine.com/forums/genealogy/13215-nicholas-harach-b-1885-sokal.html#post104678
allan ;)
ADDED...someone has replied that Klaudia is looking for her g grandfather Michal Harach and g grandmother Celina Harach in Sokal......are these in your friends names list ?....allan

Offline Hannia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HARACH (Гарач in Ukrainian) in Sokal
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 September 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
Harach/Haracz (Гарач in Ukrainian) from what TODAY is selo/village Varyazh (Варяж)

Nicolaus (originally Mykola) Harach was very likely from the wies/village Warez.

From late 18th century to the end of 1918,  Warez, the town, w/Magdenburg rights, was predominantly Polish and Jewish. Wies/village Warez, abutting the town, was predominantly a Ruthenian/Ukrainian village with its own Greek Catholic Church, the Church of the Birth of the Virgin Mother of God, dating back to the 17th century.   Sokal was the POWIAT (administrative district = county)*** and Belz was GMINA (judicial/tax district) > Historic Galicia/Halyczyna Province, admininistered by ethnic Poles for the  Austro-Hungarian Empire.  During the Interwar Period, after the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Sokal and Belz became part of Reconstituted Poland (1920-1939). Technically Poland had  not existed as a  geopolitical entity for the previous appx 125+ yrs.  In 1939  the geopolitical history in this immediate area starts getting  real murky. In 1939, in the wake of the Nazi invasion, a lot of the Jewish population is evacuated  by the Russian army. Poland remains in Hitler's hands from 1939-1944.  Between the Nazis and the Communists, the Sokal/Belz area  is razed and region suffers great devastation & population loss.  The Soviets defeat the Germans, and post WW2 the Sokal/Belz region reverts back to Polish domain.  In the late 40's all Ukrainians are evicted  and repatriated to SSR Ukraine.  In 1951, after a minor border adjustment,  Sokal/Belz area becomes a part of SSR  Ukraine under Soviet domain, and all Poles are resettled to Communist Poland.   Everything except the place name remains status quo until the Soviet Union falls apart and Ukraine becomes independent.  From 1951-1989 both the village and town are called Novoukrayinka. 

***Immigrants frequently referred to their district centers as place of origin for geographic reference, because their own villages were small.

Today selo/village Varyazh ( (Варяж) founded in 1419 still exists w/a population of 888 people> Sokal raion/district > Lvivska  (Lviv) oblast/region > Ukraine, latest zip 80014, appx 10 kms east of Sokal. 

Greek Catholic Church Registers from Warez wies have not been filmed and Polish Archives require a non-refundable deposit. 

http://www.ipgs.us/iwona/iwona.html

Warez greckokatolickie malzenstwa/matrimonial 1784-1871 are in  Przemysl State Archives.
Warez greckokatolickie malzenstwa 1872-1877, 1880-1885,
1888-1889, 1901-1937 are in Historic Archives in Warsaw
Warez greckokatolickie urodzenia/birth-baptismal 1784-1871 in Historic Archives in Warsaw.
Warez greckokatolickie urodzenia 1872-1877, 1880-1885,
1888-1889, 1901-1937 are in Historic Archives.
Warez greckokatolickie zgony/death  1784-1871  are in Przemysl
Warez greckokatolickie zgony 1872-1877, 1880-1885,
1888-1889, 1901-1937 are in Historic Archives.

Przemysl Archives:
Archiwum Państwowe w Przemyślu
37-700 Przemyśl, ul. Lelewela 4
tel: (16) 670-35-38
fax: 670-76-34
email: archiwum@przemysl.ap.gov.pl
www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl

Central Historic Archives:
Archiwum Główne Akt Dawnych
00-263 Warszawa, ul. Długa 7
tel: (22) 831-54-91 do 93, 635-45-32
fax: 831-16-08