Author Topic: Great Barton Parish Registers - WALTER  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Lycia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Barton Parish Registers - WALTER
« on: Wednesday 22 September 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if anyone could look up please to see if a Christening took place for Herbert Walter in Great Barton in Suffolk in 1874?  Herbert was born there on 15/04/1874. 

Something rather odd is going on with Herbert, as he seemed to have thought he was born in 1875 and there is a London Baptism record for him for 20/06/1875.  Now I do find it hard to believe in days of high infant mortality that they would wait that long, over a year after the birth.  This leads me to suspect that an earlier Christening took place in Suffolk.  To add a further detail, the parents were married in London on 20/02/1874 and were Jesse Walter and Eliza (nee Nunn).  As you can see the dates are close together and my hunch is that Eliza may have been sent away to Suffolk to give birth to Herbert and return with 'babe in arms' at a more 'appropriate' time.   

With many thanks! :)

Lycia
Collins, Spillane (Ireland), Barchou (France), Gray, Selwood, Hall, Richardson, Balkham, Prinigar, Stevens, Hughes (UK)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Great Barton Parish Registers - WALTER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Now I do find it hard to believe in days of high infant mortality that they would wait that long, over a year after the birth

Some baptisms took place several years after a birth so a year after is not at all unusual

By the time they married she was 7months pregnant so I doubt she would have been able to hide that fact.  As she was actually married - why would she have needed to be "sent away"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)