Author Topic: Looking for a wedding in Co Durham  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a wedding in Co Durham
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 25 September 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
So David, is all this information coming from someone else's tree/s? There's a bit of confliciting information. ;)

It's worth looking in Croft for the marriage if that is where it is claimed their first son was born.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 25 September 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Croft on Tees isn't far from Middleton Tyas so it's not impossible. It might be worth giving North Yorks Record Office a ring as from memory they have a transcript of the Croft records so might be able to do a quick look-up for you.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 September 10 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne, Ruskie, Angelfish

Just back from the SOG, no info on Chester- le-Street, but I could have stayed at home because on the Ancestry Site is the CHESHIRE family tree and although this does not have the wedding of Jonathan & Elizabeth, it does have their 1st son James born 1800 in Croft.

It also gives the date of Jonathan;s birth in 1775, the names of his parents Jonathan Rowlands & Jane Morey, but also memntions the older Jonatham's birth in 1739 in Croft and his death in Middleton Tyas in 1820.I still have to find the wedding thich was not in Chester Le Street, but as the 1st son Jmes was  born in Croft, I wonder if that was where the wedding took place.

Kind REgards

David

I may have misunderstood David. You are saying that the family's surname is Cheshire rather than saying that the family came from Cheshire the County?

Offline lynne j

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 September 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
HI I have just looked at the tree on ancestry ,the family tree is cheshire but the surname they are researching is rowlands ,they do have jonathan rowlands born 1775 middleston tyas but they do not have elizabeths surname (craggs) so the baptism of james rowlands 1800 must only have father jonathan rowlands mam elizabeth they have not found a marriage as yet
lynnej
taylors orsett essex and durham
rundles pelynt cornwall and durham
bates bishop auckland and elvet durham
bolam chester le street
dennings durham and yorkshire
dale helmsley yorkshire and durham
todd byers green durham
toppings  wigton
curry esh and durham
waugh lanchester
mcleod durham and scotland

Offline John of Auckland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the wedding on Jonathan Rowlands & Elizabeth Craggs @1791. I think that Elizabeth was born in Chester Le Street as their son Jonathan was born there in 1801. I do not know where the father was born.

Many thanks

David :D

Sorry if I am in the wrong place.  This is my first ever post on such a web-site or any other for that matter.

Are you looking for Elizabeth Craggs with connections to Auckland Saint Helen?  I have read the whole thread and am confused.

There are almost 40 members of the Craggs family in my records including 6 Elizabeth Craggs in and around the Parish of Auckland Saint Helen going back to William Craggs (bap. 1660) of Auckland Saint Helen parish from a Witton le Wear family. His wife was Ann but we do not have her maiden name.  This count of 40 includes all males and females baptised as Craggs but not including wives acquiring the name.

ELIZABETH CRAGGS 2 Dec 1768.
The one that may fit is Elizabeth Craggs bap at Auckland Saint Helen on 2 Dec 1768.  This Elizabeth's parents were William Craggs (bap 1740) of Witton le Wear and Elizabeth Adamson.  As this Elizabeth was a younger sister of my ancestor William Craggs so I have no further details of her.

The next Elizabeth Craggs in my records does not appear until 1842 but her siblings were born in a narrow strip of the North Riding of Yorkshire, south of the River Tees,  mainly in Shiney Row, Manfield but some in Hurworth, Neasham and lastly in Brotton.

Is any of this of use to you?  I would be happy to send you a partial gedcom if it is.

My apologies if this is all irrelevant.

Offline indiaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I have just come across your post regards Jonathan Rowlands and Elizabeth Craggs.

I am the gt. gt. gt. grandson of Jonathan and Elizabeth Rowland (nee Craggs).  I am descended via their first child James Rowland who was born/baptised at Croft on Tees in 1800.

At the age of 18 James joined the East India Company's Madras Native Infantry and sailed for Madras in 1818.  At the time of his enlistment he was working as a Blacksmith.  My family remained in India and Burma until my parents returned to England in 1949.  The last of the Rowlands left India in 1971 and settled in Australia. James died in Madras aged 67 in 1867 as Sub Conductor of Ordnance, Fort St. George. 

James' father Jonathan was born at Middleton Tyas in 1775 and died 1859 in Castle Eden.

Jonathan's father was also called Jonathan who married Jane Moorey in Middleton Tyas in 1764.

Jonathan's parents were a William and Elizabeth Rowlands. Elizabeth died at Middleton Tyas in 1795 and William died there in 1799.  I have come to a halt with William as no age is given on his or Elizabeth's death record and they are not originally from Middleton Tyas as i've looked through the Church records.  There is a William Rowlands born in Stokesley who may be him but I am not 100% certain.

I would love to hear from you and discover your connection with this Rowland/s family.  I live in Sheffield and you can email me on * and I will let you have my phone number as it would be interesting to chat to you.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Paul Rowland.

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice, to avoid spamming.  Please use the personal message system to exchange private e-mail addresses.  New members have to make 2 or 3 posts before they can access this system. Please see here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.msg375038.html#msg375038

Offline indiaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 11 November 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne, I was thrilled to see your post on RootsChat.

I have seen similar posts on here regards Jonathan Rowland from Middleton Tyas and whilst I've replied and made contact with people making the posts, I've never received a reply. Fingers crossed this changes with my message to you.

I have just come across your post regards Jonathan Rowlands and Elizabeth Craggs.

I am the gt. gt. gt. grandson of Jonathan and Elizabeth Rowland (nee Craggs).  I am descended via their first child James Rowland who was born/baptised at Croft on Tees in 1800.

At the age of 18 James joined the East India Company's Madras Native Infantry and sailed for Madras in 1818.  At the time of his enlistment he was working as a Blacksmith.  My family remained in India and Burma until my parents returned to England in 1949.  The last of the Rowlands left India in 1971 and settled in Australia. James died in Madras aged 67 in 1867 as Sub Conductor of Ordnance, Fort St. George. 

James' father Jonathan was born at Middleton Tyas in 1775 and died 1859 in Castle Eden.

Jonathan's father was also called Jonathan who married Jane Moorey in Middleton Tyas in 1764.

Jonathan's parents were a William and Elizabeth Rowlands. Elizabeth died at Middleton Tyas in 1795 and William died there in 1799.  I have come to a halt with William as no age is given on his or Elizabeth's death record and they are not originally from Middleton Tyas as i've looked through the Church records.  There is a William Rowlands born in Stokesley who may be him but I am not 100% certain.

I would love to hear from you and discover your connection with this Rowland/s family. 

Hope to hear from you soon.
Paul Rowland.