Author Topic: Parents of John Wernham born 1806 Chieveley  (Read 15583 times)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of John Wernham born 1806 Chieveley
« on: Thursday 23 September 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents/grandparents etc. of John Wernham who was born in Chieveley in 1806.

He married 16.05.1822 in Chieveley Eliza/Elizabeth Darling born 01.09.1809 in Chieveley.

My Wernham family all come from Chieveley, but I can't fit this John in to my tree.   I feel sure there is a connection, as Chieveley is only a small village.

Can anyone help please?

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John Wernham born 1806 Chieveley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan:

I also have Chieveley Wernhams in my tree and have a copy of the W*N*H*M one-name study tree that maps all the Wernhams in Chieveley ... or so I thought!  I have searched through for the relevant dates and names but can find nothing regarding the birth of your John, nor mention of a Wernham marrying a Darling.  As you say this is not a large place so the omission seems strange.  May I ask what your sources are for the information - perhaps there's a clue there?

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 October 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Thanks for your reply, even tho' you are as mystified as me ???

This all started with a tree match I had on GR for Ann Wernham baptised 19.04.1835 Chieveley, parents John Wernham b1806 Chieveley and Eliza Darling.   I have numerous Wernhams from Chieveley, but I couldn't fit either John or Ann into my tree.   The other person's tree was of no help, as it didn't go back further than John.

Checking on IGI I found an Elizabeth Darling b01.09.1809, baptised 10.09.1809 Chieveley, parents William Darling and Elizabeth.   Also Elizabeth Darling m 16.05.1822, in Chieveley, John Wernham.   There is also Ann Wernham baptised 19.04.1835 Chieveley, parents John Wernham and Eliza. 

All I can think is that my contact traced his family back and found this information on IGI, which appears to be incorrect.   I'm wondering if John was from a different line of Wernhams and was not actually born in Chieveley ???

Which of the Chieveley Wernham's are you descended from?   I have them going back to c1612.   Most of my line were Richard Wernhams.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Joan, I think you may be right - perhaps John was a cousin born elsewhere and later on was "assumed" to have been born in Chieveley.  I will have another look around my notes for clues!

My Wernham connection is Elizabeth Sarah Wernham, born on 6 September 1861 to Richard Wernham and Elizabeth White (nee Bartholomew).  This particular Richard Wernham was 6th son of Charles Wernham and Ann Ponnegar who farmed at Down End, Chieveley.  Richard was a master painter and ran a general "building maintenance" business.  He died at the age of 43 of TB. 

Richard was certainly a popular choice of name in that family - which Richard is "yours"?

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the census entries for John Wernham with the following results:

1841 - born "in county" and year of birth is approximately 1806
1851 - born Snelsmore, Berkshire
1861 - born Snelsmore, Berkshire
1871 - born Snelsmore, Berkshire
1876 - Died in Newbury RD.

1851-1871 John's year of birth is given as varying between 1802 and 1803.

Eliza died sometime between the 1861 and 1871 census dates.

It is interesting that the census returns indicate that all but one of their children was born in Snelsmore, so there seems to be a strong tie to that area (now south of the M4).  Perhaps John was Christened in Winterbourne?

Hope this helps.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Sorry for not replying to you before :-[

My 2xg grandfather was Richard Wernham b1795, d05.02.1874, who farmed at Maypole Farm, Chieveley.   He was a younger brother of your Charles and was married to Ann Fuller.   We tried to find Maypole farm, on a fleeting visit to Chieveley some years ago, but could only find Maypole Cottage.   It looked as though it could have been a farmhouse once, but that is only a guess.

Many thanks for your information about John Wernham b 1806.   That seems to clear up that mystery.   If he was related to the Chieveley Wernhams, way back, he was from a line I haven't followed yet.   I will pass your information on to my GR contact.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline lorrainedacosta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, my great grandfathers name was john wernham who had a son named edward percy wernham, i am looking for my greatgranfathers family going further back.  CAN ANYONE HELP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Lorraine, and welcome to Rootschat.

Do you know where did your grandfather and great-grandfather lived, or have their dates of birth?  It might help reassure us that we are looking for the correct men!

In the meantime: was your Edward Percy Wernham born in Hungerford?  If so, perhaps his parents were the John Wernham and Caroline Green who married in Devizes, Wiltshire in the last quarter of 1906.

Rachel

Offline lorrainedacosta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 September 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
hi, Edward percey wernham born in 1926  was  my grandad and  died in 1984, his mum was named caroline green and his father john wernham. came from hungerford . my fathers name is william edward john wernham