Author Topic: Parents of John Wernham born 1806 Chieveley  (Read 15580 times)

Offline AWernham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John Wernham born 1806 Chieveley
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hazel.

The link I  have to Joseph Daniel Wernham is:

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22Joseph%20Daniel%22~%20%2Bsurname%3AWernham~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3ACharles~%20%2Bfather_surname%3AWernham~%20%2Bmother_surname%3AAnn~%20%2Brecord_country%3ACanada

The records say he was born in 1824  in England.  I don't recall where  I got the names Charles and Ann Ponnegar as parents, but for me that has been a dead end.  My brother and his family were just in England and visited St. Mary's in Chieveley and found a lot of Wernham gravestones.  His wife, Kathy may join this group soon.

Offline AWernham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 August 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Joseph Daniel Wernham 1824-1891

Offline HClarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 August 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy
As far as I can see on my Family tree created by Joan it states : quote:  ' Charles of Gidley b 1790 d 1882 married 17.2.12 Ann Ponnegar/Pinniger b 1791 Chaddleworth d 1883 remembered at Waterloo'
They had 8 children, one called Joseph bc 1821 I presume that means approximate date of birth. Nothing else is stated I'm afraid. I'd wished I had known your brother was in the UK as I could have met up at Chievely - not far from where I live in Dorset. I have never been to the grave yard, something I will now do as retired from work and have more time. I have photographs of my great grandfather and grandfather I could email? This is so interesting. Sounds like we are distantly related.  not heard from Joan yet I'm afraid but inform you as soon as I do have any communication. Hazel

Offline AWernham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 August 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hazel,

My sister-in-law is the genealogy person.   She went there on a hunch, saw a Church Road (lane or street) and came upon St. Mary's Church looked in the graveyard and found a lot of Wernham tombstones. In fact, the  first one they saw was a Wernham.

I only work on the genealogy part time.  I'm still trying to find out who my Canadian cousins are.  My father came here in the 30's  and I've never made any trips to see my aunts, uncles and cousins as an adult.  I  am Facebook friends with a few of them though.

If we ever get to England . . .

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Welcome to RootsChat.   I have just received an email from Hazel alerting me to your posts. 

As she says, Charles and Ann did have a son Joseph bc1821, but I have not really done much research on him or found any record of his having a second name of Daniel.   Do you know for sure that he came from Chieveley in Berkshire, where Charles and Ann are buried?   Daniel wasn't a 'Wernham' name at that time, altho' it could have come from Ann's family - I haven't researched her at all.

I do remember my father saying that there were Wernhams in Canada/USA, but I'm not sure from which branch of the family.   There are Wernhams all over Berkshire, Wiltshire and Hampshire, as well as London amongst other places!

It would be great if there is a connection with our lot.   Do you have any other family photos that might give us a clue, or any family stories?    You say your father went to Canada in the 30's and that you have uncles and aunts - are they in England, and if so can they throw any light on this?

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline AWernham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 August 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan,

Here is a link to Joseph Wernham that says he was born in England in 1824.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22Joseph%20Daniel%22~%20%2Bsurname%3AWernham~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3ACharles~%20%2Bfather_surname%3AWernham~%20%2Bmother_surname%3AAnn~%20%2Brecord_country%3ACanada

I’m not sure where I found information that his parents were Charles and Ann.  Nor am I 100% certain that they are in my line. I am more assured about Joseph, Charles and Clifford, below.

Joseph (Daniel) Wernham (1824-14 Dec 1891) was married to
   Rosa (Louise) Robertson (1892-      )

They had a son Charles Daniel Wernham b 20 Sep 1862 – 26 Mar 1927 who was married (15 mar 1899) to
   Isabella Elizabeth Reinhardt (21 Sep 1874  - April 1949)

They had four children, four of whom survived:
   Rosa Elizabeth (27 Jan 1902 - 15 Jan 1970);
   Clifford Charles – my father (13 May 1903 – 29  Jun 1969);
   Clarence Albert (24 Feb 1909 – 24 May 1979)

Rosa and Clarence remained in Canada.  My father went to Cornell University (Ithaca, New York) to work on a Ph.D. which he earned in 1936.  Me married my mother that year and was hired onto the faculty of The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA.  He became a naturalized US citizen in 1939.

Again, I’m not sure where I found a link to Charles and Ann Ponnegar.   My sister-in-law may have more information.  She subscribes to Ancestry.com.  I do not.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 August 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I look forward to hearing what your sister-in-law has to say.   I am also on Ancestry, so perhaps we will come across each other there.

The first names of Joseph Daniel's successors are not names used in my Wernham line, but that is not necessarily relevant.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline AWernham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
Joan,

This is where I found information on Charles, Ann and Joseph.  I may have Joseph's birth date wrong.  Also, I don't Know the source of the information or its  reliability.

http://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/charles-wernham_63103741

http://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/joseph-daniel-wernham_105842588

~ Andy Wernham

Offline wernham66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is rachel... my nan was Eva rose wernham.. she had many many brothers and sisters.. he parents were john wernham and Caroline green...  John was was born 22.2.1884 but he was known as Jack his brothers were percy ads Thomas George Fred Emily James William.  Are this the same family