Author Topic: saltmills explosion 1920  (Read 6631 times)

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
saltmills explosion 1920
« on: Thursday 23 September 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Seeking information about the Saltmill (St Kearns) Explosion of 12th Oct 1920 , the event and arrests court martials and time in Portland/ Datmoor prisons

Offline zigfy92

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: saltmills explosion 1920
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 September 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
The Irish War of Independence (1919-1921) was a guerilla war fought by the I.R.A. in an attempt to end British rule of Ireland and thereby establish an independent Irish state. The War in County Wexford saw numerous attacks on Royal Irish Constabulary (R.I.C.) Barracks - some of which were abandoned by the R.I.C. Post Offices were also attacked and some attacks on the Railways also occurred. A force called the Black and Tans were soon introduced to Ireland and County Wexford, by the British, to deal with the problem. The Black and Tans, because of how they mistreated people, quickly became extremely unpopular. [126] Many people were imprisoned. Probably the most high profile death of the War in County Wexford was that of Percival Lea-Wilson, a District Inspector in the R.I.C. who was stationed at Gorey. He was shot dead by the I.R.A. outside his Gorey home on 15 June 1920. [127] [128] The greatest number of casualties of the War in County Wexford occurred on 12 October 1920, when 5 men were killed and 9 others injured, when explosives being prepared by the I.R.A. accidentally detonated in an old unoccupied house located at St. Kearns, Saltmills. [129] [130] On 4 January 1921, County Wexford was placed under Martial law. The Irish War of Independence ended on 11 July 1921 - when both sides agreed to a truce. The conflict had reached a stalemate.

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks I know quiet a bit about this time history as my Grandfather was involved in the Saltmills Explosion.  Always trying to find out more about it

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Seeking any information about south wexford old ira -

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 October 10 07:16 BST (UK) »
Tomahurra, you might do well by tracking down your grandfather's military history.  My grandfathers were both Irish Volunteers (later 'old' IRA) and I was able to gets lots of information on them, including imprisonment in 1916, from the Military Archives. 
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 October 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks i've got the his records and also read Witness statements - what I am really trying to find out where the stuff was going from saltmills - I know that it was flares that were taken from the hook lighthouse that were the basic componants. To be honest I have lot of information and I am interested to try an trace other bits that might fill in the gaps.

Offline St. Kearns Explosion

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks i've got the his records and also read Witness statements - what I am really trying to find out where the stuff was going from saltmills - I know that it was flares that were taken from the hook lighthouse that were the basic componants. To be honest I have lot of information and I am interested to try an trace other bits that might fill in the gaps.

Hi, tomahurra. I'm part of a group making a short documentary about the explosion and I seen this post. Have you had much success finding information about it? We're looking for people who might have interesting stories about the event. Have you got any such stories that you'd be willing to share?
Thanks

Offline ChristinaB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 October 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My (great great) uncle was one of those who perished in this explosion.  I would like to find out the exact location so I can visit the memorial and also I was wondering if anyone has any news on how I can obtain a copy of the documentary which has been created on this event?

Thanks,

Christina

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
Just put St Kearns Monument into Google Maps
https://goo.gl/maps/ZztjrrQA4QK2